Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Jacking up trailer

Really need a second opinion, need to take a tire in for repair called the guy who put on our tires to ask where to lift trailer and he said to put jack on the springs, does that sound right? Tandam axle back tire needs removing Thanks.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #2

I put my jack where the spring meets the axle. If that spot can withstand the stresses of traveling down the road, it can certainly handle being jacked up.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Always Learning

I had this same question:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ain-39613.html

Basically, what I got out of the answers was:

First- never jack anywhere on the axles if it's torsion axles. No one argued this point.

Then, there were 2 distinct schools of thought:

1) Don't jack on the axles. Many manufacturers recommend against it. Doing so can damage the axles. Use the frame instead. But, do put a piece of wood to spread the load a bit.

2) Don't jack on the frame. Doing so can cause damage to it. Use the axles- manufacturers recommend against it because people will try to jack in the middle and break things. Jack the axles up closest to the U-bolt hanger because if it can withstand the stresses of traveling down the road, it can handle being jacked up.

So, there you have it- 2 answers, both certain that the other side is wrong and 100% opposite to each other.

Personally, I bought a 3-ton floor jack and jacked up on the axle as close to the u-bolt as I could get. I did ultimately start to use a piece of wood between the jack and the axle to try and spread the load a little- but I haven't seen any negative effects. But of course, as they say- your mileage may vary.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

So I went through that thread my next question, trailer is at lot do we need to have tv hooked up or is it okay as it sits? We need tv to take tire to shop, i guess put on spare til we get back?

108 days camped 2013
Old 10-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I had this same question:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ain-39613.html

First- never jack anywhere on the axles if it's torsion axles. No one argued this point.

I have a single torsion axle (VIBE 6504)and contacted the manufacturer about a year ago (Dexter regarding jacking the axle at the point where it meets the frame). They advised it was okay.

Here is the response they provided.

You could jack at that point as long as there is not a heavy load in the trailer. If you would jack on the axle tube that isn't supported by the frame you could cause the axle to bend.

Rick Kapsa | Product Manager
Dexter Axle - Company Headquarters
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvlcy View Post
So I went through that thread my next question, trailer is at lot do we need to have tv hooked up or is it okay as it sits? We need tv to take tire to shop, i guess put on spare til we get back?
I think the TV being hooked up help safeguard the camper from moving while you have the wheel off. I used my Hyundai get back and forth to/from the tire shop (trunk and/or back seat with a cover).
Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

We did it! Thanks for everyones help it was definetly needed

108 days camped 2013
Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Always Learning

Well? How'd you do it? Did you jack up the axle? Or on the frame? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #9

yea, we want to know how u jacked it up, please.
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #10

Axle or Frame

My dealership gave us very specific instructions on that very important subject. Jacking of the coach so far has been accomplished by a device that I came up with for road side tire changing, only had to use it one time since 2003 on the Sunnybrook. Anyway, we use my tire elevator under the good tire and axle to get the bad one off the ground. When we had new tires installed back in 2010, the tire dealer would only jack the coach up from the FRAME, not the axle for fear of bending and knocking the alignment out. This coach weight 8870# and is a double axle. If and when our 5'er needs a tire change, I will use the same tire elevator.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Here's what I'll use. Copied from a store bought one and made out of scrap lumber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00294.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	42485   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00291.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	42486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00292.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	42487   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00293.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	42488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Tire Changing Ramp.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	42490  

Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #12

Jacking up to change a tire

I have a Rockwood 2014 8244 fifth wheel with tandem axels and had a tire failure in the first two months of owning it and only doing 3 day trips. The roadside assistance AAA guy did not want to jack it up and did the following which makes it easier than changing a car tire (assuming only one tire failure). He had a 4X4 piece of wood 2 feet long with a slight ramp cut into one end. Put it in front of the good tire and said pull the 5th wheel up onto it. This lifted the failed tire off the ground enough to pull of and put on the spare. Then drove off the 4X4 and off we went.

As long as both tires don't fail this is far easier and lighter than a 3 ton jack :-)
ronschmucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #13

Tire and Wheel Lifter

This is kind of similar to what I have done, just added a neat touch. Most people carry around some 2x material for leveling there RV's at a site. I made something that I can use for that purpose and also for getting the bad tire off the ground in case of a flat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronschmucker View Post
I have a Rockwood 2014 8244 fifth wheel with tandem axels and had a tire failure in the first two months of owning it and only doing 3 day trips. The roadside assistance AAA guy did not want to jack it up and did the following which makes it easier than changing a car tire (assuming only one tire failure). He had a 4X4 piece of wood 2 feet long with a slight ramp cut into one end. Put it in front of the good tire and said pull the 5th wheel up onto it. This lifted the failed tire off the ground enough to pull of and put on the spare. Then drove off the 4X4 and off we went.

As long as both tires don't fail this is far easier and lighter than a 3 ton jack :-)
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
This is kind of similar to what I have done, just added a neat touch. Most people carry around some 2x material for leveling there RV's at a site. I made something that I can use for that purpose and also for getting the bad tire off the ground in case of a flat:
Folks with the EquaFlex suspensions or other brands/other names need to try it out first. My camper's tire was still firmly on the ground after driving up a ramp of 5-Lynx blocks high when I tried it.

It's a good plan, but definitely something you want to try at home first!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Folks with the EquaFlex suspensions or other brands/other names need to try it out first. My camper's tire was still firmly on the ground after driving up a ramp of 5-Lynx blocks high when I tried it.

It's a good plan, but definitely something you want to try at home first!
You can get a block of wood and put in between the end of the EquaFlex on the bad tire and the frame and stop it from swiveling and the ramp/blocks will work just fine.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #16

Trailer Aid

I had one of these when I had my trailer. Worked great. Easy & fast, especially on the side of the highway. Comes in two heights. I know it needs to be stored but getting the tire off the ground is a two minute thing. Wont work with some sophisticated suspensions that allow the tire to drop down low when jacked up, just cannot get enough height. Just pull forward on the front to raise the rear, or back up on the rear to raise the front.
Attached Images

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote