Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by erwin View Post
Kind of found out or at least narrowed down the problem. Totally disconnected the trailer brakes from the TV. Nor more hot drums at all. So, something electrical. Will finish the rest of the trip only on truck brakes. Will definitely need working brakes next year for the real west. Thx all for your help. Erwin
A malfunctioning (or poorly installed depending on type) controller can be leaking low voltage to the brake drums even without you pressing on the brakes.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
just came back home. here is what happened:
I'm so lucky at the Ingall's homestead. There r only 3 campers. It just happened that the next door neighbor is a retired automotive electrician! He and I worked till 2 AM last night. What Steve was speculating is absolutely right on almost all fronts. All the trailer light "seem" to work right. There is a big mess from the factory harness to the hitch hookup. Since we don't have enough time nor supplies, I decided to isolate the trailer brake line at the axles and directly wired it to the brake controller output at the factory harness. Also I disconnected the red wire to the controller (brake switch), re-routed the controller right next to the dash oard where I can easily do manual control. We r ready driving on 90w and it worked very well without any heat buildup. It's such a pretty country here. I'm glad that we found a relatively safe option and not have to change out plan too much or cut short. Thx all for your help. I'll update u all the fun things happening on this trip since all u hear so far is trouble! I think it's sunshine all ahead of us now. I guess that i have quite few more things on my to do list After I get home. Again thx all. Erwin

A little more for those who have deeper understanding a out automotive electronics like Steve. The neighbor found out that the marker lights on the trailer should not turn on when he touches the brake pedal. Also, when he turns on the parking light both of the filimenta in the trailer rear light lights up and only one should. So, this pretty much tells you there is a lot I need to figure out and re-wire correctly.

Erwin and wife and family of 4 little ones
St. Louis MO
2004 FlagStaff 8528BHSS BunkHouse 30 foot 5th wheel

1999 F350 7.3L PSD Superduty, Super cab, long bed, auto, Dually
1995 F350 7.3L PSD, stick, dump bed work truck
erwin is offline   Reply With Quote