Old 12-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #1

Landing Gear

I have a 2008 Cedar Creek 32 CK Lately when I lift my unit to attach to the hitch i am getting a grinding sound! I suspect the gears have worn or ???I have had a mobile repair service person check it out and he tells me that the landing gear needs to be replaced. I have googled the recommendation and have various suggestions going from replacing gear box to replacing whole landing gear Have anyone out there encountered this problem and if so what was the fix? i am upset that the landing gear has worn out already.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallBall View Post
I have a 2008 Cedar Creek 32 CK Lately when I lift my unit to attach to the hitch i am getting a grinding sound! I suspect the gears have worn or ???I have had a mobile repair service person check it out and he tells me that the landing gear needs to be replaced. I have googled the recommendation and have various suggestions going from replacing gear box to replacing whole landing gear Have anyone out there encountered this problem and if so what was the fix? i am upset that the landing gear has worn out already.
Not sure what might have happened in your case, but it appears to me (after reading through several threads in these forums) that many of the landing gear sets come with grease zerks near the top of the legs and the need for servicing the landing gear is not covered during the delivery walk-thru by the dealer...at least I know that to be the situation in my case. I've since added lubricating the landing gear to my semi-annual maintenance schedule.

Does your landing gear have any grease zerks on the side of the legs near the top? If so, maybe a little lubrication might help.

Best wishes!

Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Have you tried to manually raise and lower the landing gear? Do you still have the grinding noise. Does your landing gear pause or studder during this noise? My landing gear transmission is missing a tooth or two and it may need replacing next year. I know I do a slow slide under to connect and slide out to disconnect now. If I manually operate mine it still has the noise. I think I tried to lift the truck off the ground one to many times. lol..

Amazon.com: 5th Wheel RV Landing Jack Replacement Bevel Miter Gears RBW P-137: Automotive
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallBall View Post
I had a clicking sound when I used mine, They replaced my motor and gear leg at the 2013 rally. when they pulled it they found a piece of a weld broken off and causing the noise. The gear box has been improved since 2008. If your motor is not grinding then it's the gear box. The new gear box's are aluminum housing and cost $105.00 from lippard. Looking at the Amazon legs those are the cheapest I have seen with a motor, but did not see a gear box with them. So not quite sure how they work. You can pull and disconnect the motor pretty easy and find out if it's the motor or the gear itself. They use the same motor on your stabilizer jacks in the rear if you have them. I would think that if your gear box was going out it would be from a broken tooth in the sprocket. You would hear that for sure, grinding I would be looking at the motor. As posted earlier, I also heard that there is a zerk fitting on top of the leg, don't know for sure. You can also call Lippard and ask the CSM about your problem, I found them to be very helpful. The landing leg motor alone cost $313.00 from lippard, they also have repair kits for sale that they will be able to tell you about. Just type in Lippert.com and the web page will come up with all the replacement parts. Also a landing leg with a 17" drop without the motor cost $241.00, so you can see why I was surprised to see Amazon price on them.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote