Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Landing gear problems

While walking past the level I have on the side of my rig, I noticed that the rig was not level, as when I had parked it. I pushed the"auto level" button on my Intelli Jack and it blew one of the 30 amp fuses. I replaced the fuse and tried it again, with the same results. I checked inside the front cargo hold and noticed the plastic tube that the propane hose that comes from one side to the other had come out of the hole in the wall that separates the propane compartment from the cargo hold. This tube also has zip ties that support the gear motor. I put the tube back in place and tried raising and lowering the gear. When I push the "move up" (extend) button the motor seems to twist and lock up with no gear movement. When I hit the lower down button it seems to function properly. I can't believe they support the motor with zip ties but that does not seem to be the immediate problem.
Is there any way to manually raise and lower the gear?
2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #2

Update: I located the manual connection behind the propane cylinder. I can manually raise and lower the gear. It is very tight and hard to turn extending the gear. The motor moves up and down approximately 90 degrees depending on whether it's going up or down. The motor and gear seem to have a lot of movement This movement has caused the zip ties to break. Moving it manually has not helped. It still blows a fuse. I thought about hooking up to my TV to take the weight off the jack but I'm afraid I won't be able to disconnect.
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #3

Zip ties holding the motor??? Seems a step was missed during build. I have bolts holding my landing gear motors in place. Not a zip tie in sight. Auto level, Columbus 320.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

I don't know what's up with the zip ties.
I believe I have a defective gearbox. Can I replace the gearbox with the legs extended on the ground or do I have to connect to my TV and take the weight off them? The gearbox is a Venture. Any ideas on where I can get replacement?
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Denver, CO

I believe they have rebuild kits, which I had to do once. I would support the camper before doing anything. If it is the gears, then you have to take the jack out, which takes some effort and a bit of head scratching.

If you have ever retracted the landing gear to the top of it's travel (you get that rachet sound) you may have damaged the gears. Their website has lots of info and a manual on gear replacement

http://www.venturemfgco.com/rv-jacks...eessories.html
Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #6

I don't believe I've ever retracted the gear past the top of it's travel. I don't recall hearing that ratcheting sound. I know what you mean, I've heard it on the slide. I belive my Intelli Jack prevents it. I'll check out Venture's website. Thanks
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #7

Your not by any chance maxed out on your extend travel are you ?

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #8

And the zip ties are not unusual. I have a Rockwood (same basic build) albiet different floorplan. I have white zip locks that hold the motor in place as well in the front compartment. I think it is just a cost saving measure on their part. I've retracted mine too far once and sheared the bolt off that is closest to the motor due to the torque causing the bolt head and motor housing to collide. I've marked the legs since then so that doesn't happen again. But yes, anything you do with the legs, you should have the trailer supported by the tow vehicle. That was the only way I was able to replace the sheared bolt and would definitely expect the same if you have to replace the gears.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #9

I don't believe so. It's at the same height as I always park it, RV level. If I retract I can't raise up with the motor I have raise it manually
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #10

Did you check the resettable fuse? If you raise your front landing gear to high you will trip the breaker. There is a little button on the side try pushing that back in. Last time I went in for service one guy raised mine to high and it did that. When I got home the motor wouldn't work at all. I called the dealer he told me about it or I never would have known. I had to almost stand on my head to reach it behind the battery box, I have now installed a auto resettable they sent me to replace the manual reset they are 30 amp.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #11

I found at least part of the problem. The gearbox housing (plastic) has a nub broke off. It is a stop to prevent the motor from rotating as it is doing now. I don't know if over extending the gear caused this. Maybe I did this. I guess the next step after I locate a housing is to replace it and see what happens. My understanding is they make an aluminum replacement. Is there anything I can look for to see if it is over extended?
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #12

Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Did you check the resettable fuse? If you raise your front landing gear to high you will trip the breaker. There is a little button on the side try pushing that back in. Last time I went in for service one guy raised mine to high and it did that. When I got home the motor wouldn't work at all. I called the dealer he told me about it or I never would have known. I had to almost stand on my head to reach it behind the battery box, I have now installed a auto resettable they sent me to replace the manual reset they are 30 amp.
I have power to the motor as long as I don't blow the fuse trying to extend it.
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Warrior, have you tried to insert a bolt or a stop to keep the gear box from spinning? Maybe on the side?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Warrior, have you tried to insert a bolt or a stop to keep the gear box from spinning? Maybe on the side?
The thought entered my mind but I'll have get it out and take a look. It is plastic and there's not a lot of meat there and that motor creates a lot of torque....
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
The thought entered my mind but I'll have get it out and take a look. It is plastic and there's not a lot of meat there and that motor creates a lot of torque
Two ways to attack it, 1: If the gear box can be taken apart, try to drill a hole where the little stop broke off and put a bolt, washer & nut thru the hole. 2: If the gearbox cannot be taken apart, put a short sheet metal screw thru the hole and into the gear box. If the screw is too long, you can always back it out and cut it off.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
I found at least part of the problem. The gearbox housing (plastic) has a nub broke off. It is a stop to prevent the motor from rotating as it is doing now. I don't know if over extending the gear caused this. Maybe I did this. I guess the next step after I locate a housing is to replace it and see what happens. My understanding is they make an aluminum replacement. Is there anything I can look for to see if it is over extended?
Not quite sure what you must have broke inside the gear. In Goshin they replaced my motor and gear box. They put a floor jack on that side to take the pressure off and pulled the slide out first. You are correct the new gears are aluminum. They had to pull that leg off before he could get the gear and motor off through the bottom. I stood and watched them. From what you describe, I would say you broke a plastic gear on the inside that is jamming it. It took 2 guys and hour to replace my motor and gear box. Good Luck.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Two ways to attack it, 1: If the gear box can be taken apart, try to drill a hole where the little stop broke off and put a bolt, washer & nut thru the hole. 2: If the gearbox cannot be taken apart, put a short sheet metal screw thru the hole and into the gear box. If the screw is too long, you can always back it out and cut it off.
Food for thought but I'm thinking just get rid of the plastic POS and replace it with an aluminum box. I think I've found one for $49.95. I hate when plastic is used in the wrong application.
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #18

Quote:

Food for thought but I'm thinking just get rid of the plastic POS and replace it with an aluminum box. I think I've found one for $49.95. I hate when plastic is used in the wrong application.
I have the 8528, 2013. My landing gear jammed up inside the leg within four months. Right before a camping trip, of course. Heald the front end up with a tri-pod, FR shipped me a new leg and motor. Dropped the leg and installed the new one. Not that hard

The landing gear was doing the same thing you described, then just stopped all together, even when using the maula crank.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
I have the 8528, 2013. My landing gear jammed up inside the leg within four months. Right before a camping trip, of course. Heald the front end up with a tri-pod, FR shipped me a new leg and motor. Dropped the leg and installed the new one. Not that hard

The landing gear was doing the same thing you described, then just stopped all together, even when using the maula crank.
Unfortunately I don' have a tripod, It would sure make access to work on it less difficult. I hope I get lucky and only the gearbox failed. I should be able to determine if the leg is damaged when I get the gearbox out.
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #20

Yah, I didnt either and ended up buying one. It was easier than hooking up and having no room to work between the truck and the camper.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote