Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #1

Landing gear problems

While walking past the level I have on the side of my rig, I noticed that the rig was not level, as when I had parked it. I pushed the"auto level" button on my Intelli Jack and it blew one of the 30 amp fuses. I replaced the fuse and tried it again, with the same results. I checked inside the front cargo hold and noticed the plastic tube that the propane hose that comes from one side to the other had come out of the hole in the wall that separates the propane compartment from the cargo hold. This tube also has zip ties that support the gear motor. I put the tube back in place and tried raising and lowering the gear. When I push the "move up" (extend) button the motor seems to twist and lock up with no gear movement. When I hit the lower down button it seems to function properly. I can't believe they support the motor with zip ties but that does not seem to be the immediate problem.
Is there any way to manually raise and lower the gear?

2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #2

Update: I located the manual connection behind the propane cylinder. I can manually raise and lower the gear. It is very tight and hard to turn extending the gear. The motor moves up and down approximately 90 degrees depending on whether it's going up or down. The motor and gear seem to have a lot of movement This movement has caused the zip ties to break. Moving it manually has not helped. It still blows a fuse. I thought about hooking up to my TV to take the weight off the jack but I'm afraid I won't be able to disconnect.

SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #3

Zip ties holding the motor??? Seems a step was missed during build. I have bolts holding my landing gear motors in place. Not a zip tie in sight. Auto level, Columbus 320.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

I don't know what's up with the zip ties.
I believe I have a defective gearbox. Can I replace the gearbox with the legs extended on the ground or do I have to connect to my TV and take the weight off them? The gearbox is a Venture. Any ideas on where I can get replacement?
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Denver, CO

I believe they have rebuild kits, which I had to do once. I would support the camper before doing anything. If it is the gears, then you have to take the jack out, which takes some effort and a bit of head scratching.

If you have ever retracted the landing gear to the top of it's travel (you get that rachet sound) you may have damaged the gears. Their website has lots of info and a manual on gear replacement

http://www.venturemfgco.com/rv-jacks...eessories.html
Old 10-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

I don't believe I've ever retracted the gear past the top of it's travel. I don't recall hearing that ratcheting sound. I know what you mean, I've heard it on the slide. I belive my Intelli Jack prevents it. I'll check out Venture's website. Thanks
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #7

Your not by any chance maxed out on your extend travel are you ?

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #8

And the zip ties are not unusual. I have a Rockwood (same basic build) albiet different floorplan. I have white zip locks that hold the motor in place as well in the front compartment. I think it is just a cost saving measure on their part. I've retracted mine too far once and sheared the bolt off that is closest to the motor due to the torque causing the bolt head and motor housing to collide. I've marked the legs since then so that doesn't happen again. But yes, anything you do with the legs, you should have the trailer supported by the tow vehicle. That was the only way I was able to replace the sheared bolt and would definitely expect the same if you have to replace the gears.
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #9

I don't believe so. It's at the same height as I always park it, RV level. If I retract I can't raise up with the motor I have raise it manually
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 10-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #10

Did you check the resettable fuse? If you raise your front landing gear to high you will trip the breaker. There is a little button on the side try pushing that back in. Last time I went in for service one guy raised mine to high and it did that. When I got home the motor wouldn't work at all. I called the dealer he told me about it or I never would have known. I had to almost stand on my head to reach it behind the battery box, I have now installed a auto resettable they sent me to replace the manual reset they are 30 amp.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote