Leaf hanger support - Frame crack
I finally got the supports (X Factor crossmember MOR/ryde Products) I bought from MOR/ryde installed. I ended up getting three, one for each hanger. I thoroughly inspected the frame and didnít find any cracks or indications of fatigue that might result in a crack. I added them simply as a proactive countermeasure to the problem. Iíve seen to many frame cracks on this and other forums that I decided to do sooner then later. Plus, Iíve got a few other large projects in process so this Bird isnít going anywhere soon.
Installing them was fairly straight forward, however; Morryde indicated no drilling was required Ė thatís not exactly true. Adding one to the equalizer doesnít require drilling, but I did have to drill one hole in both left and right front and rear hangers. More on that later.
I called Morryde before starting the install just to get some ďlessons learnedĒ and ďlook out forĒ because I didnít want to reinvent the wheel while laying under a 14k lb trailer. One thing they were adamant about was to make sure all 4 wheels were off the ground before install. To me, that was the most time consuming task of the entire project.
Once I got that done the install took a regular day at my pace. At one point there was a small crisis when I ran out of cold suds. Luckily, my wonderful wife corrected the citation and all was well.
First Pic. Here I've got the trailer up and and beginning to install the first one between the equalizers. I put a jack under each equalizer to keep the holes aligned for the shoulder bolts. BTW - the hardware kit comes with two wet shoulder bolts.
Second Pic. When installing the shoulder bolts I found the knurl was too large and they would not pull into the hanger. The original bolts were also knurled but not as tall. I ground them down a little and that allowed rest of the bolt to pull inward as I tightened the nut. For those that don't know the knurl prevent that bolt from rotating as you tighten the nut. Lug nuts have the same feature.
Third Pic: During the install I took some time out to inspect underneath to make sure all was well. I found a few screws that needed tightening and one of the brackets holding the black tank discharge pipe had broken. The worst thing I found was that the back side of an equalizer frame hanger had not been welded. Once I get her down from the jack stands I'll take it over to my welder to get it fixed.
Fourth Pic. This crossmember is on the rear leaf hanger. The hanger isn't rectangular the equalizer hanger. The length of the strap isn't long enough to clear the rear of the hanger so I had to drill a hole for each one. This also applies to the front hanger. I called Morryde on this and the guy suddenly "remembered" that hole would have to be drilled - but for other models this might not be the case.
Fifth Pic. Here's the finished product. All the supports are installed. You might not be able to tell in the picture but they do not sit lower than the axles.
Maybe I would have never had experience the cracked frame problem and all this was a waste of time. But I can sleep better knowing it probably won't. Total cost was about $350, not including cold suds.
2004 Cardinal 33CKT
2006 Ford SDD F250 CC 4WD