Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Have had 3 with leaf springs and 4 with torsion. I will take the torsion hands down over leaf springs. Everything rides better, including the truck. I like the torsion even better now with shocks on the trailer. You can't beat independent suspension.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
amxpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 683
I wish they would offer torsion suspension on larger trailers and fivers, they would sure pull better. They do make torsion axles that can handle the larger trailers, but beside being a cost factor, they would have to do some re-engineering to the frames to keep the height of the frame up where it needs to be. Probably not cost effective.
__________________

__________________
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,370
Don't let anyone kid you for a minute that a torsion axled trailer rides perfect. We drove to Indiana through ND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and to Indiana with our 34 1/2 ft V-Lite with torsion suspension. Had a light fixture tore right off the wall, ripped our standalone dinette table out of the floor and flipped our coffee table and smashed the table light and these were not terribly rough roads. Yes there were a few rough areas and lots of fricken expansion joints that in our 3/4 ton Dodge almost made the DW cry her back hurt so bad from the constant bang bang bang but there were no pot holes or anything to cause that kind of damage. Yes they ride ok and are much better than the leaf springs on our old Edgewater but are not near perfect.
__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Don't let anyone kid you for a minute that a torsion axled trailer rides perfect. We drove to Indiana through ND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and to Indiana with our 34 1/2 ft V-Lite with torsion suspension. Had a light fixture tore right off the wall, ripped our standalone dinette table out of the floor and flipped our coffee table and smashed the table light and these were not terribly rough roads. Yes there were a few rough areas and lots of fricken expansion joints that in our 3/4 ton Dodge almost made the DW cry her back hurt so bad from the constant bang bang bang but there were no pot holes or anything to cause that kind of damage. Yes they ride ok and are much better than the leaf springs on our old Edgewater but are not near perfect.
Don't think anyone is saying they ride perfect, just a lot better than springs. Shocks help a lot, but again it doesn't make them perfect. If you pulled across Iowa on I80, that is worse than a plowed field. We towed it and had to slow to 40-45mph to stay in the truck with a 831RLSS Flagstaff tongue trailer.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Road-King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Don't think anyone is saying they ride perfect, just a lot better than springs. Shocks help a lot, but again it doesn't make them perfect. If you pulled across Iowa on I80, that is worse than a plowed field. We towed it and had to slow to 40-45mph to stay in the truck with a 831RLSS Flagstaff tongue trailer.
X2
I think you would have to have a hovercraft or mag lift suspension for it to be perfect.
__________________
Russ & Kim
2014 Alpine 3600RS
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 4X4
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
X2
I think you would have to have a hovercraft or mag lift suspension for it to be perfect.
We rode the hovercraft from Dover, England to Boulogne, France and it was not a smooth ride either, interesting, but not smooth
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Don't think anyone is saying they ride perfect, just a lot better than springs. Shocks help a lot, but again it doesn't make them perfect. If you pulled across Iowa on I80, that is worse than a plowed field. We towed it and had to slow to 40-45mph to stay in the truck with a 831RLSS Flagstaff tongue trailer.
Speaking of shocks, after seeing your shock install I am going to retro fit our V-Lite and while at the factory tour I discussed shocks with the designer of the Flagstaff/Rockwood units and mentioned some info I found from AL-KO europe and Austraila. He is going to do some research on at the very least offering shocks as an option in the future. So here's hoping.
__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jamestown NY
Posts: 588
Just out of curiosity "TheSacks" how fast were you towing. I've run some really rough roads and just slowing down a little goes a long way to not tearing everything up. I've seen campers running in excess of 70mph and then wondering why they're blowing tires and everything inside the trl is all over the place when they stop.
__________________

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,364
This is the first trailer I've had with torsion suspension and I find it really good I like how it is lower I feel the lower centre of gravity helps stabilize the trailer, as for stuff breaking off with the ride I'd be more inclined to check tire balance than blame the torsion suspension.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #20
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Just out of curiosity "TheSacks" how fast were you towing. I've run some really rough roads and just slowing down a little goes a long way to not tearing everything up. I've seen campers running in excess of 70mph and then wondering why they're blowing tires and everything inside the trl is all over the place when they stop.
55 -58mph.
__________________

__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.