Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
LED Clearance lights

While doing my walk-around yesterday morning I discovered my front door-side clearance light is completely out. It has about 5/6 diodes in it. Do they normally all go out at the same time or could there be a connection issue. Will have to find a way to check them out later today. Not an avid climber so the roof is out of the question. May try to find a 10ft ladder or a part man/part monkey to get up there and check it out. Thanks in advance for your replies. Steve A. Dagro

sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Incheon, S. Korea
Most likely a bad wire connection. Check the ground wire first.

Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #3

If it was working, then suddenly isn't here's a possibility: if you can remove the plastic lens cover do so VERY carefully and look for a small black "chip" laying in the cover. Its very small, about a quarter inch square and flat. This is a surface mounted bridge rectifier placed on the circuit board and is supposed to fail if temps in the lamp get too high. It just melts the solder that holds it to the board thereby opening the entire light circuit...a purposeful failure. It also allows you to connect either wire without regard for polarity of voltage. Be very careful opening the lens. The chip would be laying inside and would easily fall out and you'll never find it. If you closely examine the circuit board you would also see a spot where it was soldered. Just a guess. Solution: new light unless you're into surface mount repairs.
Cedar Creek 36CKTS
F350 Lariat ("Big Blue")
Papicamper is online now   Reply With Quote

led, light