Old 08-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

Length of Brake safety cable

I have shortened my TT brake safety cable so that when the safety chains are tight the TT brakes engage. I believe that this is better than having the TT tung going over or under the TV bumper if I loose ball connection. I also believe this will give some control until stopped.

Is this correct? Thanks for your thoughts.

BeeBoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
Brake is on left

There is a lengthy thread on this topic. Essentially, the safety cable shuld be the longest of any connection. The 7 way plug should be the next longest, then the chains. So if your ball comes loose and you have the trailer by the chains, the 7 way is still connected and you have brake control via the lever or your pedal. If the chains fail then the plug and cable come loose and the trailer is by itself with brakes engaged.
Link:
What do you think about breakaway cable

The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:27 PM   #3

Length of Brake Safety Cable

Thanks Evil Twin for the reply. I read most of the posts you referred me too. Not sure if I would like to see the TT loose on road. It seems to me that with the TT brakes on (I have never been able to lock them up) that would provide enough drag that the TV should be able to guide it to a straight stop keeping the tung from digging into the road and flipping the trailer.
BeeBoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
Brake is on left

Properly attached chains wont let the tongue hit the ground. They should be crossed to provide a cradle should the rig come uncoupled and shortened to the point of allowing tight turns but no drag.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:23 PM   #5

We use a carbiner to hold the safety cable so that it doesn't flop around.

The first time we hooked it up, we ran it incorrectly and shortened the cable so much that the cable came loose as we went around a corner and engaged the trailer emergency braking. It stopped our truck in its tracks. Luckily we were on a side street with no traffic so we didn't cause an accident.

So while I understand your logic, if you shorten it too much, you might be in for a surprise. The brake controller in your truck controls the amount of braking that the trailer brakes apply.

When the safety cable comes out, there is no control over the trailer brakes. They lock up immediately.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #6

I had a situation where the emergency cable was actually too long. It caught on the bottom rear left of the 5th wheel hitch legs and slammed my trailer brakes on just as I was making a turn into my home street.

Just imagine if that was in heavy traffic.

My solution was to purchase a coiled cable with a carabiner to attach it. I have plenty of slack so this will never happen again.

Here are some pics of the install:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0920.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	213956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0922.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	213957   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	213958  
Old 09-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #7

Safety brake cable

Wrong the cable should not be any longer then the safety chains if it is longer than the chains if trailer comes unhitched the brake will not be activated
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
Wrong the cable should not be any longer then the safety chains if it is longer than the chains if trailer comes unhitched the brake will not be activated
Not really true. As long as the pig tail has not come loose the brake controller can still apply the brakes. If it is too short the brakes will be activated when going around a sharp corner.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #9

Ugh, not one of these again. You want the break away cable longer than the chains. You don't want the trailer wildly swinging back and forth on the chains if the brakes are fully engaged. And you have no control over stopping, so now that semi behind you may slam into your trailer because you have it set up properly! When set up properly the 7-way should still be connected and you will have control over the trailer brakes. The brake away device is for just that a break away so the trailer comes to a stop after it is completely disconnected from the TV.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable