Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Oklahoma Proud

I am going to lift my trailer (5er) an inch or two so I can put some slightly larger Lt tires on, and I have a couple questions for those that have lifted thiers.
#1- how much has the extra heighth hurt getting in and out?
#2- we have a outside kitchen and grill, have you noticed any negitive issues with dealing with outside fuctionability?
#3- any other pros or cons from lifting it?
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #2

on my last trailer, i moved the axle from above the spring to below. i needed more clearance at the truck bed. sense i wasn't wearing tires much, i didn't mind that the arch was wrong when i turned the axles over.

center of gravity changes. mine seemed to be a little more bouncy.

getting and out really changed. the steps lifted more than i thought. wound up getting a small stool to make getting in and out easier.

consider the extra stress on ur frame.

how r u planing on doing it? my (current) trailer has a sub frame welded to the frame. came from the factory that way.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is there a reason for going to a larger tire? You will also have to consider the distance between the tires. While a tire that's an inch taller overall, is only going to raise the trailer a 1/2 inch, the gap between the tires will decrease the full inch.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Ok, on the larger tires- I already have them. My trailer has the 225-75-15 -8 ply, about 6 months old, but I bought some 245-75-16 -10ply tires for my tv thinking that I would put the stock size tires on when towing further disrances(I have 35" tire on truck right now).needless to say the tires were to small, so I have a brand new set of 245s with 200 miles on them and they have to be better than the Westlake tires I have now. And I was going to upgrade rims anyhow.

On the lift. My springs are already above the axle, so I am making a 1" block or spacer from extra leafs I bring home from work. So I'm only going to be out new center bolts, and some u- bolts, and I usually get those at our Fleet Pride dealer- they can bend em while you weight.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #5

You can raise your trailer by adding taller (4") leaf spring Equalizers by approx 1.5"-2".

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - K71-448-00 Heavy Duty Suspension Kit

If you decide on blocks, from what I've read they are highly discouraged due to the twisting nature of our trailers when turning tightly.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Have you considered, having the spring mounts dropped instead of spacing axel? I think that would help in taking out some of the rotational forces being applied to the springs from the flipped and spaced axle. Adding shocks should help lessen the bounce.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

TTrost- I'm not flipping the axles they are on top of the axle factory.

Rattlen- I believe a taller equilizer would change the caster of the hubs with the axle rotation.
And with the spacers I am making they would be built into the spring pack and only be 1" or so added to it, so little to no extra axle/ spring stress.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Providing you have plenty of clearance between the tires, sounds like it should work.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

I just went and looked, have about 6-7" between tires.
I don't know I may just look around at tires and see if I can find any smaller 10 ply LT tires. But then again the 245-75-16 are real common so if I had a problem on the road, they would be easy to find.
Just need to decide.

Anybody else- feel free to chime in on any pros or cons you have experianced!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That should be plenty of space for the taller tires. I know my 5er only has about 3 inches between tires, and that would have been too close for you.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
That should be plenty of space for the taller tires. I know my 5er only has about 3 inches between tires, and that would have been too close for you.
Wow that is close, thanks for the input!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

BTW, I had put 1" taller tires on a previous camper without any modifications and still had room to spare above tire, just not between. May take a look at maximum compression of springs to bump stop and the distance between tire and camper floor. I had 3-4" to bump stop, but 9-10" until the tire struck the floor.