Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #21

Since the last post I have left messages and 3 e mails with no response from Forest River. I am not really surprised considering the lack of response and follow through with the original repair.
I was at an event last weekend and meet another Vengeance toy hauler owner who is having the same flexing problem. Unfortunately he was not aware of the serious nature of this problem. Makes me wonder how many other owners are out there who do not realize this major problem with there very expensive toy.
Seems Forest River is getting to big to care about each customer and the problems their inferior construction is causing.
Chevtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #22

Maybe you need to to the top of the foodchain and shoot a letter off to Warren Buffett. I bet he'd like to know how his company is addressing customer issues....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #23

I would love to send an email to anyone other than Chad Cook which is the only contact I am able to locate for Vengeance toy hauler. I have called and the girl that answers the phone will only tell me that he is the only person that can help me. So far 10 unanswered emails.
All I want to know is how to seal my sidewall molding when it flexes and breaks the seal every time the fifth wheel is loaded onto my truck. It will only be a matter of time before the sidewall delaminates due to water intrusion. However according to Chad this is all within tolerance.
Our first Forest River fifth wheel is what brought us back to Forest River, what a mistake.

If you only knew then what you know now.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #24
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I'd be more concerned about the "flex" than just sealing it up. If there was built in flex don't you think it would be the same on both sides? Did you make a YouTube video showing the amount of flex? What's most concerning is it's on one side. I wouldn't be surprised if the frame is starting to tear or the flange that holds the side wall up has broken welds. Mine had both. Lippert was useless since I was over 2 years and second owner.
Best luck to you. If you're still in warranty I'd demand it be dismantled enough for inspection of the frame, pinbox, and sidewall flange.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #25

I totally agree with you. I am just trying to get across that any flexing is not acceptable and to say there is a tolerance for it. Unbelievable.
I agree my fifth wheel is just a time bomb waiting to go off, but according to Forest River it is acceptable.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #26

Chevtoy try this contact:

Dawn Wigent
Vengeance & Wolfpack Warranty
(260)593-4001 EXT 17103
dwigent@forestriverinc.com
Old 12-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #27

Thank you very much boatman22, I have sent an email and will try to call tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #28

Frame flex is normal to an extent, however everything should flex equally, and not to the point that it should affect the trim sealant over a short period of time. If the corners are flexing enough to break the trim sealant that quickly you have much deeper rooted issues.. This is not in any way acceptable, and yes, as a result you will end up with delamination if moisture is able to get behind the trim...

Good luck..

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #29

Forest River, at least the Prime Time division seems to under specify the frame and I have had side wall cracks because of it. Forest River will not take any responsibility for it. On another forum Lippert admits the frame should only move 1/8 inch and my pin box moves 1 3/4 inches up and down. My dealer confirmed that and also on measurement found that new units flex similarity. Other owners I have talked to have similar issues with cracking.
Grimshaw Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimshaw Traveller View Post
Forest River, at least the Prime Time division seems to under specify the frame and I have had side wall cracks because of it. Forest River will not take any responsibility for it. On another forum Lippert admits the frame should only move 1/8 inch and my pin box moves 1 3/4 inches up and down. My dealer confirmed that and also on measurement found that new units flex similarity. Other owners I have talked to have similar issues with cracking.

Just want to make sure I understand. When you hook up you can see your pin box move 1 3/4" when you put weight on it ?
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #31

If no satisfaction from FR, If it was mine, I'd take it to a competent weld shop and have them gusset the front frame where the pin box is. 1 3/4 inch vertical movement is a gob.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #32

I think sidecarFlp has a good idea in private repair sector. I would add use an alignment shop who can weld and true up. A good steel fabricator can analyze the cause of failure and add steps to prevent it again. Never weld up fractures and expect success. Now if you tow this trailer you have a major liability on your hands.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feen_261215 View Post
Has anyone had to have frame work done on there unit? We have a 2016 sabre 36 QBOK that's already had to have the frame recambered. Lippert done the work sence Trailer had to be returned to the factory for ongoing issues.
My 2014 Sabre is back at the factory getting the same thing done to it. How did yours turn out after it was recambered? Did they update it vin and weight information sticker? Did they upgrade your axels to compensate for the added weight? Did it fix your slide out issue?
Bigruh36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:17 PM   #34

The frame cracking issues are caused from turning sharp . Turning sharp scrubs your tires and this is evident by the tires being dragged sideways . The front axle is being and tires leaning one way and the back axle is being dragged /tires leaning the other way, This twists the frame and the cross members that holds the rails vertical is welded to the web of the I beams that runs the length of the trailer . Thus the cracks in the web of the two I beams that runs the length of the trailer . These cracks are generally located about 2 inches up on the frame .
wslchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslchar View Post
The frame cracking issues are caused from turning sharp . ...
If this was true, most of our towables would fall apart in short order. Extra stress I would agree with depending on road surface, but sharp turns should cause no damage.
My fiver must be built really well as it is turned sharply frequently. It has been backed into and out of nose to tail parking in rallys and tailgating events where the truck and trailer are at 90°. Boondocking areas we frequent require many sharp turns. Storage beside my house requires a sharp turn.
Of course most of my sharp turns are on dirt so maybe that is the secret to prevent the frame cracking
I would think frame cracking is caused by defects in manufacturing and/or bad build techniques and materials due to the push for lighter and cheaper.
Inspect frame and suspension at least yearly to catch any problems.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:27 PM   #36
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Turning is not the issue. Lippert used too thin of material. Mine sheared the 2x6 tubing from up & down weight transfer, not horizontal pull/pushing. It was a horizontal support crossmember for the pinbox.
To add, we left NJ going to Fl for a weeks stay. It was on the return trip by the time we hit South Carolina is when it sheared. It was evident when we stopped at a rest stop. All straight pulling. No sharp turns involved.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame