Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #21

This is an old thread, but I need some help. I took the cover off my Tongue Jack and I need a wiring diagram to get the switches back together.

Can someone that has the Lippert jack, the rounded one like in the picture above, take a picture of the wiring inside the top and post it to the forum?

Thanks for the help!
DogandTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #22

Picked up my camper on Saturday....finally decided to unhook it today(Monday). Raised the jack......the current LCI by the way, which is in the picture and listed as the PT2 on their website. When the jack reached the most extended part, which took a while!, it suddendly stopped and the gears sound like something broke or shredded. No more movement up or down......blew a fuse and the hand crank won't do a thing!

Day two of ownership, first attempt at use and it breaks. I'd say my opinion of this jack falls somewhere between a 0 and a 1 out of 10. (after all, it worked for about a minute! ;-) ) Bleh. Going to contact Lippert in the morning.
ScottyNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #23

I have the same problem. Jack froze up after the second season. I'm in the process of replacing it with a different brand. Mine is rated at 2,000 lbs but I'm going to replace it with one rated at 3,500 lbs. I think I'm going with a Barker brand. There's a discount code at J.C. Whitney that will give $45 off this weekend. I'm just trying to figure out if I need the 2 in or 2 1/4 inch coupler. Guess I'm going to have to go out an measure!
dave_petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #24

I installed a Barker jack after my problems with 2 Lippert jacks back in the summer of 2010. To date, the Barker has worked flawlessly as had the previous barker jacks on our other TT's. I will only have a Barker jack on the front of any TT's in the future!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
My 08 V lite has the lippert power tongue jack, and 3 times now WE-(not naming names) have over-extended the limit of the length. The jack won't retract back on it's own when this happens, and you have to get the manual auxillary crank handle and open the flap on the top and hand-crank it down a little, so the worm gear catches hold. There should be a limit switch on this, so it won't allow it to go off the screw-shaft end. Just thought i'd let folks know about this problem, and how to fix it if this happens to you!!! HAPPY CAMPING!!! Randy
Put a piece of colored tape at the top of the protruding tube at full extension. Then in the future you can raise until you see the colored tape and know to stop so you won't go beyond the threads.

Food for thought...
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #26

Lippert Power Tongue Jack

Forest River would do well to ditch Lippert and find a more reliable tongue jack. Our 2012 Rockwood 8319SS Signature Ultra Lite is a year and a half old and the tongue jack failed,(broken gear in power head). It wasn't near max extension. Upon calling Lippert to purchase a part, I found they would only sell me a new jack for $300 and after some judicious griping they came down to $157. The gear itself probably sells for less than $20. I have called several RV dealers and repair shops and no one has the gear, not even from a dead unit of which the woods are probably full of. My next effort will be to maybe locate a machine shop that might be able to fabricate one. I'm open to suggestions on a better quality unit.
Rodney-the-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #27

I have a junk Lippert jack laying around in my garage. I had to replace it right after the warranty expired. Came off a 2011 flagstaff 831bhs.

I'm not sure why I saved it and I'm not sure what was wrong with it. I think the switch went because it would work every once in a while.

I live in western Ma. You can have the jack for free if you want it.
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #28

My Lippert tongue jack has operated for 2 years with no issues. I August 2010 I posted on this thread the circumstances under which I received the jack. Turns out I benefited from getting the new jack.

One note though...I think the jack I received was a factory second or something, because the "Extend/Retract" toggle switch was installed with the direction reversed, so "Extend" lowers the front. I tried to see if I could easily rewire, but decided just to live with it.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #29

Lippert tongue jack

Thanks but I'm replacing it with a Barker VIP 3500. What did you replace yours with?
Rodney-the-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote