Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
Jr. member & newbie

Lippert stabilizer replacement vs frame spacer

I have an early 2014 Forest River Cherokee 264L (bumper pull TT) equipped with the Lippert “Electric Rear Stabilizer” jacks on front and back. I bent one of the legs on the front and ordered a replacement from Ultra-Fab thru E-trailer.

The units on my travel trailer have a 2” spacer between the stabilizer and the frame. This is needed on the front because the stabilizer mount straddles a ½” gas line (that’s right) coming out the right side and under the frame.The rear has no such obstructions but still has the 2” spacers as well. Lippert sells these units with the 2” spacer welded on the assembly under a unique part number. The Ultra-Fab unit I bought does not have the spacer.

I can fabricate the spacer out of 2” thin-wall square tubing easy enough, but being inherently lazy I’m thinking about moving my rear stabilizer with the spacers to the front, and installing the new unit on the back without the spacers.

Anyone have experience or thoughts on having one stabilizer with the 2” spacer and one without? More extension means more resistance to bending on the legs, so if by chance this Ultra-Fab unit is lighter duty that would help that.

Am I missing something?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Jr. member & newbie

I went ahead and moved the stabilizer on the back with the spacer up to the front, and bought a new one from Ultra-Fab and mounted it on the back without the spacer. Seems to work fine.

By the way, the "lightweight" unit from Ultra-Fab is made by Lippert, even has a Lippert part number, and about 20% cheaper.

Tags
frame, replacement