Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #1

Losing tires almost every trip

I've moved up to load series E tires. Added a TPMS system. Always fill to max cold pressure. Drive 70 or lower. And still lose a tire or two almost each trip. The tires go abruptly like a delamination. I now carry 3 spares.
I've noticed when using cross chocks. That the spacing between wheels is different on each side. Am I looking at an axle alignment problem or does the suspension shift over terrain?
awright42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Need little more info as to what type camper. What brand of tire. Yep might be checking axle alignment and possible over loaded. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #3

Always the same location? How's the tread worn? Crawl under that thing and look at the hangers, springs, check the center bolts in the springs, one may have broke.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #4

Something is definitely wrong. We need more information to help. Probably suspension issues, could be overloaded, but not enough info to hazard a guess.

I have owned 5 campers over 35 years and never had a flat.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #5

As mentioned before, get under the trailer and look for broken / damaged components. You could also park the trailer on a flat paved surface and measure the distance between axles on both sides to get an idea if the alignment is grossly out of whack.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
As mentioned before, get under the trailer and look for broken / damaged components. You could also park the trailer on a flat paved surface and measure the distance between axles on both sides to get an idea if the alignment is grossly out of whack.
Also pay close attention to tire wear patterns. Run your hand across the tread from inside outside and then in reverse. Most tires will show a sharper edge on the ribs on one side or another. If sharp edge is on outside the tire is running with excessive toe-out. If inside, excessive toe-in. If the same on each side of the same axle, sharp edges on outside or inside on each, the axle itself needs alignment. If the wear patterns on all four tires are opposite of each other on front to rear axles then the axles are probably not parallel.

Mis-alignment usually only affects tire wear but it could also cause excessive heat buildup under the right conditions.

When people have a bunch of tire failures it might be good to go back and look for times when there has been "curb hopping" (like when parking at home in a side yard etc), or hitting the end of a curb when entering a gas station. Potholes are a way of life in some parts of the country and they take their toll. Construction zones are notorious for having all kinds of hazards showing up in the roadway from small, sharp, pieces of broken concrete to nails and other metal parts. I picked up one of the sharp teeth that broke off a dropped (I assume it was dropped) circular saw blade in my Volt's tire after driving through a construction zone on the freeway right after I bought it. Luckily the TPMS gave me instant warning I had a tire losing air and I was able to pull over and "save the tire". Most people aren't that lucky, depending on the size of puncture and/or the timeliness of the warning.

Are the tires failing on the same axle? In the same position, are the replacements the same brand? If so, might be a good idea to change brands.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Following,,,,,
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Also pay close attention to tire wear patterns. Run your hand across the tread from inside outside and then in reverse. Most tires will show a sharper edge on the ribs on one side or another. If sharp edge is on outside the tire is running with excessive toe-out. If inside, excessive toe-in. If the same on each side of the same axle, sharp edges on outside or inside on each, the axle itself needs alignment. If the wear patterns on all four tires are opposite of each other on front to rear axles then the axles are probably not parallel.

Mis-alignment usually only affects tire wear but it could also cause excessive heat buildup under the right conditions.

When people have a bunch of tire failures it might be good to go back and look for times when there has been "curb hopping" (like when parking at home in a side yard etc), or hitting the end of a curb when entering a gas station. Potholes are a way of life in some parts of the country and they take their toll. Construction zones are notorious for having all kinds of hazards showing up in the roadway from small, sharp, pieces of broken concrete to nails and other metal parts. I picked up one of the sharp teeth that broke off a dropped (I assume it was dropped) circular saw blade in my Volt's tire after driving through a construction zone on the freeway right after I bought it. Luckily the TPMS gave me instant warning I had a tire losing air and I was able to pull over and "save the tire". Most people aren't that lucky, depending on the size of puncture and/or the timeliness of the warning.

Are the tires failing on the same axle? In the same position, are the replacements the same brand? If so, might be a good idea to change brands.

kinda like where you're going here Mike, with the feathered edge. if one set of axles don't have it and the other does with both "sharp edges" to the same direction/ side it would make me think the center lines of the axles arent parallel. Like an axle shifted. On a 6 yr old toy hauler, got anything like bent rims from where you might have hit a curb etc. What are you hauling vs. the payload capacity? How long has this been going on? They always say when you blow one on a side the other on the same side sustained damage due to the increased load carried. We're all speculators here, let us know what develops/what you discover.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
Dorothy and the Tinman

You mention using cross-chocks. Are you using the x-chocks that go between the tires for stabilization? Ensure you aren't overtightening them as that may cause problems with your tires.

Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #10

get your axles measured for spacing's and alignment. buddy of mine found his axles were installed on his FR trailer UPSIDE DOWN!

mine were out of alignment by over 2 inches and tracked way off causing issues. no accidents in either sitrep.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
You mention using cross-chocks. Are you using the x-chocks that go between the tires for stabilization? Ensure you aren't overtightening them as that may cause problems with your tires.
I doubt that. Think about the impact a tire receives running down the road. Or the several thousand pounds they are supporting just sitting there. I can't believe any human could tighten an X chock enough to do damage.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #12

Tire Failure Nightmare

Our last RV was a 39' 5th wheel and we had LOTS of tire problems. Over a 18 month period and approx. 12.000 mile life we lost 16 tires. 5 by "blow out" and 11 by partial cord issues. We also lost 4 wheel bearings and their seals. During this time the manufacture installed 2 new axles, but we continued to loss tires every 2,000 miles. Manufacturer was NO help. WE researched the internet and found a company in Orlando, FL. that checked for alignment with the front "pin box" and axles using lasers, they did the service work for Disney World's transportation dept. They found that the front axle was 7 degrees going to the left and the rear axle was 5 degrees to the right. So the axles "fought" one another as we drove and put so much heat into the "scrubbing" tires that they destroyed the tires each mile we drove. We confronted the manufacturer with the print out data and they asked if we could "measure with a tape measure the axles from side to side" We had been doing that for 18 months, so I "lost it" and screamed at them and said I just got done towing my unit to Orlando to have it laser checked and you want to use a hand measure tape??? Back to Goshen, Indiana and the factory with my unit (and 2 more tires during the trip from Orlando to Goshen) The manufacture found out they had welded the axle mounting points in the wrong locations, SORRY. Cost us thousands of $$$ between tires, hotel rooms, damage to trailer from blow outs and gas.
dufferray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #13

Please post Tire brand, Size, Manufacture date, Tire model.
2004 Silverado 2500HD diesel
transmission_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #14

Following
boatpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #15

Tire Nightmare

To answer your question. Of the 16 tires we lost, half were "normal" junk travel trailer tires, but half were Goodyear or other "best in class" expensive $200+ What I learned was: If the axles are misaligned, as they where on our RV, then it does NOT matter what tire is under the trailer because tires are made to roll and not be constantly going a little "sideways".
dufferray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #16

Apparently the OP is pretty busy as we've not heard anymore from him since he inquired late yesterday. So far we're all just guessing. I will respond to his last observation … if you turn or back into a site or your driveway and don't give the RV a few feet of straight line travel … the spacing between axles is always going to be off a bit just because of the dynamics of tandem axle trailers in a turn. Hopefully we'll get more info on his issue.
Dufferray … your point is well taken, but around the 2010 - 2016 timeframe … Goodyear "Marabombs" were disintegrating off the larger fivers and TT's every day. I had a brand new fiver with freshly aligned axles that had a set that was junk. Reading posts back then on different RV websites will show I was not alone.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #17

Following X3. To OP, please let us know what you find.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #18

following
Old 03-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #19
RV There Yet?

subscribed

im curious how this turns out
Old 03-08-2019, 05:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferray View Post
Our last RV was a 39' 5th wheel and we had LOTS of tire problems. Over a 18 month period and approx. 12.000 mile life we lost 16 tires. 5 by "blow out" and 11 by partial cord issues. We also lost 4 wheel bearings and their seals. During this time the manufacture installed 2 new axles, but we continued to loss tires every 2,000 miles. Manufacturer was NO help. WE researched the internet and found a company in Orlando, FL. that checked for alignment with the front "pin box" and axles using lasers, they did the service work for Disney World's transportation dept. They found that the front axle was 7 degrees going to the left and the rear axle was 5 degrees to the right. So the axles "fought" one another as we drove and put so much heat into the "scrubbing" tires that they destroyed the tires each mile we drove. We confronted the manufacturer with the print out data and they asked if we could "measure with a tape measure the axles from side to side" We had been doing that for 18 months, so I "lost it" and screamed at them and said I just got done towing my unit to Orlando to have it laser checked and you want to use a hand measure tape??? Back to Goshen, Indiana and the factory with my unit (and 2 more tires during the trip from Orlando to Goshen) The manufacture found out they had welded the axle mounting points in the wrong locations, SORRY. Cost us thousands of $$$ between tires, hotel rooms, damage to trailer from blow outs and gas.
Wow. I feel your pain. We have had two bearing failures and only one blow out in over 6 years. I don't know if I could have kept towing with the number of failures you had. I think I would have been a nervous wreck looking over my shoulder waiting for the next failure! No fun at all.

What brand of fifth wheel? And was it a Lipert frame? You think the manufacturer would have a laser alignment system at the factory to verify their build quality or lack of.

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires