Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Albuquerque, NM

Lost a wheel

During the middle of a two-week trip, I had a rather disturbing surprise when I made a stop for gas. We had left Mammoth Springs in Yellowstone and had driven about 60 miles - in the rain - to Livingston, WY. My truck had enough gas to get to the next destination, but I decided to stop & top off, as I was ready to stretch. As I went to open the camper door for my wife & little one, I was astonished at what I saw. The rear wheel on the right side was gone! All of the lug bolts were sheered off. All I could say to the wife was "we've got a major problem."

Now, keep in mind this was on a Saturday at mid-day and I needed to find a shop to install new lug bolts, all in a little town in Wyoming. Fortunately, there was one shop working, only because "Rob" said he wasn't out having fun due to the rainy weather. He got me fixed up, but had to remove the brake magnet because the replacement lug nut heads were hitting it. When we got to Bozeman, I found an open tire store and bought a replacement rim and tire - gotta have a spare at all times.

All of this could have been much worse. The wheel separated from the trailer without any damage. I had absolutely no indication whatsoever it was gone. I was driving on one wheel on the one side for an unknown amount of miles, in the rain, doing 50 - 60 mph. To the credit of the factory tire (still on the camper after 4 years), it held up under the weight and conditions.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8231293.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	61930   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8231294.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	571.1 KB
ID:	61931  
2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Char_n_Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

OMG! That could have been a disaster. I cannot believe the single tire did not blow out due to the weight/stress. What brand were the factory tires?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Site Team

Wow!! I think your guardian angel deserves a raise.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
OMG! That could have been a disaster. I cannot believe the single tire did not blow out due to the weight/stress. What brand were the factory tires?
I will have to check on the brand and get back to you - the camper is at its storage spot right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Wow!! I think your guardian angel deserves a raise.
Most definitely!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

What would cause a tire to come off like that? Could loose lug nuts do it or just a stress fracture in a lug? I don't know if there's any preventative measures we could take.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2u View Post
What would cause a tire to come off like that? Could loose lug nuts do it or just a stress fracture in a lug? I don't know if there's any preventative measures we could take.
Yes, if the lug nuts become loose, then the wheel itself can shear/cut the lug bolts off.

It's also possible to overtighten the nuts, thus stress cracking the bolt(s), where a few fail, then the wheel moves and shears all of them as stated above.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
New to Forest River

Be sure to replace the remaining tire (perhaps wheel) on that side of the TT before towing any significant distance as I am certain that it was stressed way beyond tolerances.

I agree with previous reply... Give your guardian angel a significant raise!!

Ron

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 09-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #8

That is a good question. What happened to your unit? Did you still have the treaded posts? it is strange that all lug nuts fell off. Did any sheer off?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2u View Post
That, for certain, was the topic of much discussion and speculation between me and the mechanic, Rob.

Rob indicated that since there was no wear marks on the brake drum, it was his opinion that the sheer wasn't due to loose lug nuts. This made sense to me as I'm very careful about the lug nuts. Before the trip (planned as 4,000 miles), I properly torqued the lug nuts on all four wheels. This incident happened at about 1,500 miles into the trip. When the lug nuts on the other three wheels were checked, they were all still the same.

The other ideas were that the brake locked up and/or faulty lugs. If it were either of these, I can't think of any preventative measure that could be taken.

Charlie
Old 09-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
That is a good question. What happened to your unit? Did you still have the treaded posts? it is strange that all lug nuts fell off. Did any sheer off?
Fortunately, our trailer is just fine. I don't have any of the threaded lug bolts. They all sheered off and disappeared with the entire rim/tire (wheel) assembly.

Charlie
Old 09-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Camper Less Camping

Amazing...never seen that one before on an rv!

Name:   shock_friends.png
Views: 292
Size:  9.5 KB

Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
Site Team

Hmmm, I have to wonder exactly where the tire/rim ended up.

Of course, it may be best we don't know (see my sig line)

Old 09-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #13

The studs broke off sub surface! Believe it was because the studs were allowed to "work". Only root cause I believe all were somehow loose for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
Albuquerque, NM

Update - Tire Brand

Quote:
The tires that have been on the trailer since purchase factory new are "Triangle" brand. I understand these to be Chinese.

Charlie
Old 09-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char_n_Kath View Post
That, for certain, was the topic of much discussion and speculation between me and the mechanic, Rob.

Rob indicated that since there was no wear marks on the brake drum, it was his opinion that the sheer wasn't due to loose lug nuts. This made sense to me as I'm very careful about the lug nuts. Before the trip (planned as 4,000 miles), I properly torqued the lug nuts on all four wheels. This incident happened at about 1,500 miles into the trip. When the lug nuts on the other three wheels were checked, they were all still the same.

The other ideas were that the brake locked up and/or faulty lugs. If it were either of these, I can't think of any preventative measure that could be taken.

Charlie
A couple things happened in just the right sequence to cause your failure. Five lug wheel hubs are designed to function with at least four lugs properly torgued to spec. for redundant safty reasons (does not apply to four lug design).

A few assumptions here to try and explain the failure. Initial wheel install was not proper. Your checking (by torque wrench) before the trip must be done with wheel up. Proper procedure is to loosen lugs, then re-torque the wheel to spec. Improper install prior to your re-torgue had already set the failure on its path. The wheel was not seated to the hub properly causing whats called http://www.knowswhy.com/why-do-lug-nuts-loosen/this That condition continued until studs failed and wheel seperation occured. Heres the good news, no trailer damage.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #16
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
A couple things happened in just the right sequence to cause your failure. Five lug wheel hubs are designed to function with at least four lugs properly torgued to spec. for redundant safty reasons (does not apply to four lug design).

A few assumptions here to try and explain the failure. Initial wheel install was not proper. Your checking (by torque wrench) before the trip must be done with wheel up. Proper procedure is to loosen lugs, then re-torque the wheel to spec. Improper install prior to your re-torgue had already set the failure on its path. The wheel was not seated to the hub properly causing whats called http://www.knowswhy.com/why-do-lug-nuts-loosen/this That condition continued until studs failed and wheel seperation occured. Heres the good news, no trailer damage.
Thank you for the input. The mechanic who did the repair was mystified by what had happened, as he said there was no indication whatsoever on the brake drum that the wheel had rubbed against it due to loose lugs. The wheel was never off the ground since it came from the factory in August 2010. I will have to assume the lugs worked loose, for some reason, although I know I checked all lugs on all wheels prior to the trip the same as I've always done. But yes, very good news of no trailer damage - things could have been much worse.

Charlie

Tags
wheel