Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #1

Lost entire tire, rim, and brake drum

A couple of weeks ago our way to a campground, I saw a tire in my rearview mirror rolling down the road behind me. Didn't think too much about it until someone pulled up beside me (2 lanes of traffic) pointing to my trailer. I pulled over to find rear wheel gone. Nothing but the spindle, rear race, and back plate with brake parts left. I never felt any sway or bump at all. I have never seen or heard of this happening.
A couple of weeks before, we had just completed a 6150 mile trip out west with no problems. Never have had any kind of brake or wheel problems. I had lubed bearings before long trip with grease gun. Have never removed bearings. Also. I updated tires and rims to G rated tires and heavy duty rims. Only removed lug nuts, replaced rims and torqued lug nuts.

Have any ideas? RV probably has 11000 - 12000 miles on it.
jomyers95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #2

Sounds like the bearing retainer nut wasn't properly secured with a PROPERLY installed cotter pin. Not a usual occurrence if the nut and cotter pin were properly installed.

Does the spindle have any discoloration near the threaded end that might indicate the outer bearing might have failed (lack of lube, rust, dirt, etc, etc,)?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #3

No discolorization whatsoever. Still brite metal covered in grease. It must have been missing cotter pin since rv was new. Can't believe I put that many miles on it before having any problems. Trailer is put away for the winter now. I plan on pulling off all wheels in the spring before our first trip. Would have posted pic but couldn't figure how to do it.
jomyers95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Sounds like a Warranty claim.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
Out of Order

What?!

Didn't think much about a tire rolling down the road behind you?!?!
todtc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #6

Many axles (mostly EZ Lube) no longer have a cotter pin to secure the spindle nut ... they have a retainer with a flat that snaps over the nut on the end of the spindle. This could have failed.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Trailer-Wheel...4573179&chn=ps
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by todtc318 View Post
Didn't think much about a tire rolling down the road behind you?!?!
My thoughts exactly. Glad no one was hurt.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyers95 View Post
No discolorization whatsoever. Still brite metal covered in grease. It must have been missing cotter pin since rv was new. Can't believe I put that many miles on it before having any problems. Trailer is put away for the winter now. I plan on pulling off all wheels in the spring before our first trip. Would have posted pic but couldn't figure how to do it.
Click on this ==> #7 and follow the instructions.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
jkoenig24

You DO know that you need to check ALL of your tires and running gear as, with the loss/failure of one element, the rest of the system may have been over worked and become damaged, right?
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
Too old to be too smart

Does anyone know if Dexter has eliminated the cotter pin hole as a result of beginning to use these clips that appear to be stamped out of sheet metal?

I realize that the bearing can't influence to nut's position on the spindle, as there is a key'd washer in the way, thus there is no torque applied to it, but I sure would feel better if I could use the old tried-and-true method of securing the spindle nut.

Here's a thought: If someone at Dexter forgot to install that clip, one could go many, many miles, allowing the thrust forces (tapered bearings) on the nut to very slowly push it looser and looser until it simply fell off, allowing the entire rotating assembly to detach. Unless one recovered the lost assembly, and found no clip inside the spindle cap, you'd never know of the faulty initial condition.

If you have recent Dexter axles that use these clips, it might be a good idea to pop off the caps and take a look. Something else on which to do our own QC, relieving the manufacturers of their responsibilities.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #11

Had a similar problem a few years ago but we didn't see the runaway wheel. My wife noticed a piece of trim on the right side flapping in the wind. Turned out to be the remains of the fender skirt. We had lost everything at the end of the rear axle including the nut, all brake elements, bearing and, of course, the wheel and tire. I'm not a mechanic, so before that 10K mile trip I had the trailer in to the dealer shop for maintenance, including repack the bearings. Tech at the shop we managed to make it to pulled the other wheel and found that bearing dry, as were the bearings on the other axle.My extended warrantee paid for a lot of the damage, but we spent 2 weeks in a motel until the parts, including an axle, got to the repair shop. On the way home we stopped at the original dealer and received a lot of disinterest and no responsibility from the service manager. I now carry an IR thermometer to check the hub temps whenever we stop, and I'm also using a new repair shop.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #12

Retainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Does anyone know if Dexter has eliminated the cotter pin hole as a result of beginning to use these clips that appear to be stamped out of sheet metal?

I realize that the bearing can't influence to nut's position on the spindle, as there is a key'd washer in the way, thus there is no torque applied to it, but I sure would feel better if I could use the old tried-and-true method of securing the spindle nut.

Here's a thought: If someone at Dexter forgot to install that clip, one could go many, many miles, allowing the thrust forces (tapered bearings) on the nut to very slowly push it looser and looser until it simply fell off, allowing the entire rotating assembly to detach. Unless one recovered the lost assembly, and found no clip inside the spindle cap, you'd never know of the faulty initial condition.

If you have recent Dexter axles that use these clips, it might be a good idea to pop off the caps and take a look. Something else on which to do our own QC, relieving the manufacturers of their responsibilities.

Pop

My trailer has this type of retainer. Replaced bearings last spring, first time being exposed to new type retainer. Hate them, don't trust them, want a positive cotter pin retained nut.

That's how I feel, don't care about cost benefits.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
Too old to be too smart

But is the HOLE gone, too?

If not, castellated nuts are cheap, as are cotter pins.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
TBarbs

I was adjusting the brakes for the first time recently and noticed the adjuster was wet. Long story short the rear seal was out. I replaced it but along with the other reply’s here noticed there is no longer a cotter pin. I am not a fan of the new retainer clip either. I do not believe the hole is in the shaft anymore to use a cotter pin.
I had that brief thought, when I was reinstalling the nut, of the wheel coming off!
I dodged one that crossed the median on the interstate a few years ago. Not something I would ever want to do again as they are a missile coming at you.

Like the others have said I would guess that’s what happened. Temp gauge might not help much maybe a push with the foot to see if it feels tight when you stop for a break? Not sure? It’s got me thinking.
tbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #15

If the center of the spindle is drilled there is no way that you could have a standard cotter key hole or grease would leak out. On a boat trailer that I had the cotter key with the grease system. The key hole was offset to one side. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #16

Long ago I got in the habit of "shaking" my trailer tires. While walking around during a break in driving I just grab the top of the trailer tire and shake by pushing and pulling at the top. Even if loaded heavy a loose bearing assy will allow movement that you will feel as you do this. A normal wheel might have some movement but it will only be enough to JUST FEEL. Maybe 1/16" or less movement at the center of the tread. If it goes "CLUNK-CLUNK" it's time to investigate.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
If the center of the spindle is drilled there is no way that you could have a standard cotter key hole or grease would leak out. On a boat trailer that I had the cotter key with the grease system. The key hole was offset to one side. Jay
Yep...seen many drilled off center.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #18

Always a good idea to annually pull the hubs/drums and inspect bearings. Just using the EZ lube system leads to stories like this.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Always a good idea to annually pull the hubs/drums and inspect bearings. Just using the EZ lube system leads to stories like this.
And yet some things tend to break more often the more you play with them.

Especially if one doesn't posses the necessary skills.

Most important skill is the ability to read the instruction manual and follow them.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
And yet some things tend to break more often the more you play with them.

Especially if one doesn't posses the necessary skills.

Most important skill is the ability to read the instruction manual and follow them.
Yep. There are always going to be people that are mechanically challenged.

Tags
tire