Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #41

Sad how these things turn to debates and categorization name calling.
Simply take it to a shop and get it done if you can't. Or pay your neighbor who's always tinkering with motors and cars and jeeps. (Like me).
I'm no pro but before I was married girls called me a "motorhead". But they never complained when I fixed their car or truck.
If one is disabled or unskilled or too old to do the work, it's not a bad thing. It's part of life. If I had an older or disabled neighbor that needed a auto fix, I'd do it for the satisfaction of helping a neighbor and doing the Lords work. But the capable young kids today can't even change a tire or do an oil change and that's just sad.
I was disabled for 6 months with a broken back a few years ago. I hated needing help but those free brake jobs, and bearing repacks, and oil changes I did in the past brought people out of the woodwork to help me. The helplessness was more painful than my physical injuries.
Bottom line is, if you can't do it, find someone who can and that's just the way it is. Bake your neighbor a cake and watch the world turn.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #42
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVtraveller View Post
Sad how these things turn to debates and categorization name calling.
Simply take it to a shop and get it done if you can't. Or pay your neighbor who's always tinkering with motors and cars and jeeps. (Like me).
I'm no pro but before I was married girls called me a "motorhead". But they never complained when I fixed their car or truck.
If one is disabled or unskilled or too old to do the work, it's not a bad thing. It's part of life. If I had an older or disabled neighbor that needed a auto fix, I'd do it for the satisfaction of helping a neighbor and doing the Lords work. But the capable young kids today can't even change a tire or do an oil change and that's just sad.
I was disabled for 6 months with a broken back a few years ago. I hated needing help but those free brake jobs, and bearing repacks, and oil changes I did in the past brought people out of the woodwork to help me. The helplessness was more painful than my physical injuries.
Bottom line is, if you can't do it, find someone who can and that's just the way it is. Bake your neighbor a cake and watch the world turn.

X2

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #43
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
X3 I have gotten so many plates of Peanut Butter Chocolate chip cookies for the deeds! Many a neighbor has been the recipient of emergency fixes i have lost count. Pay it forward.

Makes them anything less? No. One is a well respected lawyer. He may not know what end of a screwdriver turns the screw, but in the courtroom....another, a head Chef at a fantastic restaurant....mmMMmm! Just don’t let him even try to fix a leaky hose! Another is........well, you get the idea. We all have our talents. Let’s share.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #44

Same problem

I had a flagstaff fifth wheel about 5 years ago,it was only a year old and the same thing happened with mine...
Old 11-20-2018, 12:05 AM   #45

X3
Chiming in here follow up to TitanMike and wabakami. I learned long ago driving wheat truck for my grandpa on a freshly minted drivers license. Always check tires etc. I too do the walk around checking tires, hubs, lights, doors, etc. etc. Most recently Me, 200 miles from dealer, took delivery of my BRAND NEW 5er rear passenger hub hot on a dinner stop headed home. Call to dealer, hooked up with repair shop a nervous 10 minute SLOW drive, stopping, driving, stopping driving away, found passenger rear brake came apart, ate drum, bent backing plate, tore liner off shoes, ground nearly half of adjustment screw off, other small parts, springs, keepers ground up or gone. Mechanic, owner of shop, checked other hubs while he was at it, only had “assembly” quantity of grease on bearings. By no means what you put on with a good hand pack. Lug nut torque anywhere from not much to his 400 lb-ft fairly new SnapOn battery impact wrench struggled!
Camp20144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:09 AM   #46

Oh yeah, sticker under front overhang on passenger side said all lug nuts checked to 100 lb-ft. I begged to differ after the brake repair!!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:13 AM   #47

Oh yeah, sticker on fifth wheel said all lug nuts checked to 100 lb-ft. Yeah sure!!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #48

Three tire checks

My old habit at rest stops is a walk around look at everything and I touch each tire then each hub checking for high temps. Then a foot shove on the tops of the tires to check for loose bearing or lugs. Just an old guy habit. Watch the 18 wheelers thump the top of each tire with a piece of pipe to listen for low pressure.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #49

hmmm

Not trying to be ugly. But how could you "Not think much of it" when you see a tire rolling down the highway in your rearview?
RobinDella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire