Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #1

Lowering a trailer

looking at new trailers. We have a Surveyor which is very low profile. My storage space has a roof that can not be raised. Most new trailers are higher than the 2012 Surveyor. Can a new trailer be lowered?
Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

My grandpappy used to say "anything is possible with time and money".

However, I'd ask "Why"?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

If my roof rv cover can't go higher it seems to me my only options are to lower the trailer or the pad it sits on. I'm hoping a low profile A/C will do it but it depends on the trailer.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #4

I think anyone would need to take a look at what you have there for clearances prior to making an informed opinion. There are different axle designs that may net a few inches. However, if you don't have the tire clearance it ain't gonna make much difference.

Have you considered taking it to a trailer shop? A place that specializes in truck trailers.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #5

Haven't actually decided on which trailer but now that you mention tire clearance I'm sure no matter which one I go with I will not be able to get enough out of lowering to even consider it. Great to have other brains to pick. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:50 AM   #6

Is this your storage space or rental? IF it's yours and is one of the aluminum skeleton type with metal roof those usually can be raised cost effectively.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #7
Site Team

The best option for you is probably to look at RV's that have torsion suspension. They tend to be lower than spring hung suspension units.

What is the entrance height of your storage unit?
Old 07-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Is this your storage space or rental? IF it's yours and is one of the aluminum skeleton type with metal roof those usually can be raised cost effectively.
Yes, DW and I have raised it twice. Not enough each time. At 51 ft. long it's at a height that I don't feel comfortable with raising it again myself. Guess my best option is to pay someone with the right equipment to do it.
I have torsion axles now and I think the Surveyor is only 10'4" at the a/c. Very few new trailers that low.
Thanks everyone.

Tags
trailer