Old 02-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Unless assigned a specific Speed Rating, industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 mph (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
However, Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).
The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.
Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
The TRA has recently set a new maximum speed rating for ST tires, 81 MPH. All new ST tires will have a speed letter on their sidewalls.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #42

Airedale, so if they are increasing the speed rating, does that mean the tires will be built better? I maintain my tires meticulously, and make sure I put air to max sidewall pressure before each trip. When parked at home, the camper is in a barn, and parked on plywood runners.
But I have had horrible experiences with ST tires, specifically greenball. Because of this, I worry every time I pull out of the driveway, and I never leave without tire tools. Heck, I used to carry two spares at all times. One trip, I left with two spares, and got home with none.
So I hope the manufacturers are re-evaluating their processes so that quality improves. I hate ST tires, but LT tires like the Mich Ribs don't have the load capacity. That only leaves the super expensive G614's and dealing with 110 psi pressures. Something that's often ignored, is the danger of 110psig in a tire. If that thing blows off a rim, it can be deadly.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #43
Who Dares, Wins

I would doubt it! Lets face it we cannot make them make a better tire... All we can do is just ban them from coming here in the first place... But the industries have the regulators in their pockets with campaign donations and so on... so that will never fly... Now we will just have a 85mph China bomb.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Airedale, so if they are increasing the speed rating, does that mean the tires will be built better? I maintain my tires meticulously, and make sure I put air to max sidewall pressure before each trip. When parked at home, the camper is in a barn, and parked on plywood runners.
But I have had horrible experiences with ST tires, specifically greenball. Because of this, I worry every time I pull out of the driveway, and I never leave without tire tools. Heck, I used to carry two spares at all times. One trip, I left with two spares, and got home with none.
So I hope the manufacturers are re-evaluating their processes so that quality improves. I hate ST tires, but LT tires like the Mich Ribs don't have the load capacity. That only leaves the super expensive G614's and dealing with 110 psi pressures. Something that's often ignored, is the danger of 110psig in a tire. If that thing blows off a rim, it can be deadly.
Theoretically one would assume that a tire is built better if it's allowed to have a higher speed rating. Something must have taken place in the construction process to handle the heat generated by the added speed. The tire's manufacturer is now telling us that a tire once rated at 65 MPH can now safely be operated at 81 MPH.

Part of the speed rating for all tires is their ability to travel at their speed rating with a full load without causing abnormal heat readings that would be damaging to the tire's structure.

Bottom line. They don't have to tell you how it's done.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #45

No offense to anyone on the forum, but I don't care if they raise the speed rating to Mach 1, I will never buy another tire with "Made in China" on the side wall. I carry two spares and if that doesn't get me to my destination, I'll park it and get a motel room till "ordered tires" can reach me.
I'm now running Maxxis [Thailand] all around and happy so far. For the time being, I'm comfortable.
I wonder if the NHTSA had anything to do with the increased speed rating?
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #46
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
No offense to anyone on the forum, but I don't care if they raise the speed rating to Mach 1, I will never buy another tire with "Made in China" on the side wall. I carry two spares and if that doesn't get me to my destination, I'll park it and get a motel room till "ordered tires" can reach me.
I'm now running Maxxis [Thailand] all around and happy so far. For the time being, I'm comfortable.
I wonder if the NHTSA had anything to do with the increased speed rating?
I agree!!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I agree!!

Me too!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires