Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
"The good red stuff" means something different to many.

For me it means Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease #2 and is on Dexter's list of approved greases.

For others it means Lucas Red N Tacky or Lithoplex Red MP #2.

Here is Dexter's recommendations...

Recommended Wheel Bearing
Lubrication Specifications
Grease
Thickener Type Lithium Complex
Dropping Point 215°C (419°F) Minimum
Consistency NLGI No. 2
Additives EP, Corrosion & Oxidation Inhibitors
Viscosity Index 80 Minimum
Approved Grease Sources
Chem Arrow Arrow 2282
Chevron Texaco Chevron Ulti-Plex Grease EP #2
Texaco Starplex Moly MPGM #2
Citgo Lithoplex MP #2
Lithoplex CM #2
Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease #2
ConocoPhillips/
76 Lubricants/Kendall
Multiplex RED #2
L427 Super Blu Grease
Dexter Company Lithoplex Red MP #2
Exxon/Mobil Company Ronex, MP
Mobilith AW 2
Mobil I Synthetic Grease
Fuchs Renolit Uniwrl 2
Great Plains Lubricants Lithium Complex EP #2
Oil Center Research
of Oklahoma
Liquid-O-Ring No, 167L
Pennzoil-Quaker State
Company
Synthetic Red Grease
Royal Mfg. Company Royal 98 Lithium Complex EP #2
Shell Gadus S3 V220C
Gadus S5 V220
Rotella Heavy Duty Lithium
Complex #2
Valvoline Valvoline Multi-Purpose GM
Valvoline DuraBlend
Heres straight from the Lippert manual for 2k-7k axles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190409_155638.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	201312  
Krabage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #22

Red grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabage View Post
Heres straight from the Lippert manual for 2k-7k axles

More excellent info. Thank you very much!

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #23

Been using the easy lube axles for over 10 years now. No problems and no grease where it shouldn't be.

2010 Flagstaff 8528RLWS
Dry weight 7519 GVWR 9187
just aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #24
Canadian Member

Anybody know if the red grease specified by Dexter has a shelf life? I have 4 tubes that are 2-3 years old.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #25

Also greased mine bought new used 2 tubes of grease always use the easy lube system for the past 15 years never a problem on 2 rvs check the brakes once a year never had a drop of grease on them you do it right you won't have a problem
mmgolfmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Anybody know if the red grease specified by Dexter has a shelf life? I have 4 tubes that are 2-3 years old.

If the oil has not separated out of it, it should be good!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #27
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
If the oil has not separated out of it, it should be good!
Well, the tubes are unopened but they've been through at least a couple of winters out in the shed.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Well, the tubes are unopened but they've been through at least a couple of winters out in the shed.

You'll know when you pull the plastic cap off... and/or when you pull the "pop top" sealed end.

I buy my grease by the case, and by the time I use up a case, it is probably 2 years old or more, and I've never had a sealed tube of grease go bad yet. I use Mystik JT6 High Temp #2 (Red). Been using it for years... good stuff.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 AM   #29
Insert witty title here

Red N Tacky

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #30

lubing wheel bearings from the factory

I picked up a new Rockwood Mini Lite in Northern Indiana last November. After getting it home to Central Mississippi I checked the wheel bearings, among other things, an used almost a full tube of grease following the manufacturer's ( Dexter) directions for lubing the bearings. Apparently they put just enough grease in them to get them out of the factory and the trailer manufacturer (Rockwood) trusted them to do. TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED. DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING.
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L,420HPV8, 8Spd,3:42
+2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S(11-2018-

jcwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #31

Too much grease

I have a 2017 26BH Wildcat Max and has 5200# Lippert axles with an EZ lube feature. After about a year I decided to repack the bearing myself. When I pulled the brake drums I found the brake assemblies were covered in grease.
Who ever assembled the axles must have used the EZ lube and pumped 2 or 3 tubes of grease in each wheel assembly. I contacted Lippert and sent pic's of the brake assemblies. They didn't have must to say, but they promptly sent me new seals and complete brake assemblies. Mistakes happen, but EZ lube can get anyone in trouble. Bearing with excessive grease can run hot and if you over grease you can blow out the seals. The only time I would ever use EZ lube's is on a boat trailer.
Torreyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwest View Post
I picked up a new Rockwood Mini Lite in Northern Indiana last November. After getting it home to Central Mississippi I checked the wheel bearings, among other things, an used almost a full tube of grease following the manufacturer's ( Dexter) directions for lubing the bearings. Apparently they put just enough grease in them to get them out of the factory and the trailer manufacturer (Rockwood) trusted them to do. TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED. DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING.
Roger that, i bought four tubes since i use it on my driveshaft as well.
Krabage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #33

It’s not always the EZ Lube causing grease to get past the seals.

When I pulled the drums on our “new to us” fiver, two out of four drums had grease all over the brake shoes. After cleaning all old grease off of the axles, I decided to use the zirks to push any old grease through the axles. After three or four pumps, only new grease came out. The zirks had never been used, by the factory or the previous owner. I have no idea why the seals failed.

I replaced the all four brakes with complete brake assemblies (self-adjusting) and installed Timken bearings and of course, new seals.

I used the zirks to grease the new bearings after packing and assembly, pumping slowly while turning the drum. I pulled the drums out just enough to see the seals to make sure no grease got past the seals, or pushed the seals out, then installed and adjusted the nuts. I leave the caps empty to allow for expansion of the grease when it warms up.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #34
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwest View Post
Even if the bearings were completely dry, it would not take anywhere near a full tube grease. I strongly suggest you pull your wheels and look at your brakes because I suspect that's where alot. of your grease ended up.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #35

lubing wheel bearings from the factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Even if the bearings were completely dry, it would not take anywhere near a full tube grease. I strongly suggest you pull your wheels and look at your brakes because I suspect that's where alot. of your grease ended up.
Brakes are good. That was for all 4 wheels.
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L,420HPV8, 8Spd,3:42
+2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S(11-2018-

jcwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by just aj View Post
Been using the easy lube axles for over 10 years now. No problems and no grease where it shouldn't be.
As it should be when one follows the instructions.

Important to jack up wheels and rotate while adding grease with a HAND operated grease gun. Also not a bad idea to do this job on a warm day. Grease will flow easier back through the bearings.

As for checking brake shoe wear, my backing plates have an opening on them where I can see how much lining is left on the shoes. I can also see if any grease has escaped at the rear seal.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #37

As far as I'm concerned, the only way to do it is hand pack the grease after doing a bearing inspection and cleaning out of the old grease. Using the grease zerks is too risky and you won't know how much grease is in there and if the bearings are okay. If pulling off the drums, that's your chance to inspect the brake drums & shoes.

When we bought our current TT new, the head tech at the dealer said they always pump new grease in during a PDI. Being naive at the time about this stuff, I thought the dealer was pretty good at what they do. Wrong...

When we took the TT to the dealer for some repairs at year one of the two year warranty, I asked them to also remove all the drums, inspect and clean the bearings and repack along with checking the brakes. Later, while on a road trip, I found one drum was running a fair bit hotter than the others (using IR gun). Removed all 4 drums when we got back home. First thing I found was that I needed a wrench to undo the nuts (not good). Then I found that there was 2 colors of grease. On two wheels, the seals were blown and grease had gotten onto the brakes. So all they had done was pump in some grease (if at all) and charged us a LOT for doing it. Crooks is all I can say. Unsure about the condition of the usual cheap Chinese bearings they use on TTs, I ended up installing US-made Timkens.

On our first TT, the brakes never worked from day one. Dealer kept blaming our brake controller. One of the wheels had grease radiating out from the center. At almost one year old, the dealer finally agreed to check it out and they found blown seals and warped drums and they rebuilt everything. Not sure of the cause, but it may well have been from pumping grease in during the PDI.

So... I will never pump grease in, especially if the drums have never been removed to see what's in there. Removing the drums and hand packing the grease isn't hard, just messy. Brakes are kinda important and if you don't ever inspect them, you won't know their condition. Not only that, they're just more Chinese parts of unknown quality.

Blown seals on 2 out of 3 TTs we've owned. Not good odds.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #38

In looking at the Dexter manual it states to use the same NGLI #2 grease that is in it for compatability. The Mystic JT-6 NGLI #2, the red and tacky stuff was my choice.

In the second year of ownership, I decided it was time to pull and pack the bearings. Maybe had 3,000 mi on it which is somewhat immaterial. On all 4 wheels, once the seal was extracted, the grease just ran out of it as a viscous liquid. Packed by hand, cleaned and reassembled etc. just like I was taught

Glad as heck I didn't willy nilly give it a couple shots through the zerk without being clear to what was in it to begin with. My .02

Just like myredracer stated above. Know what you are dealing with 1st
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #39
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
My experience with our Roo was that it took about 3 tubes of grease for all 4 wheels. I had the bearings done at a local trailer repair shop the next year and they didn't say anything about blown seals so I have to assume they wear fine. My guess is that the extra grease is filling the cavities of the Easy Lube assembly rather than just within the bearings when you do it by hand.

Despite never having had a problem, I now just take the trailer to the same trailer repair shop for an annual inspection, manual bearing repack, and brake adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ezlube.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	201908  

Old 04-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #40

It will take over 1 full tube of grease to fill all 4 hubs. There is a lot of space between the inner and outer bearings. I packed all 4 sets by hand, installed hubs, and as Titan Mike said, slowly pumped in grease while turning. Emptied first tube and wasn't done with 3rd hub.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, factory