Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #1

Lug Nut - lug bolt problems

Today I needed to remove one of the 2 of the wheels on my travel trailer to do some frame preservation.. First wheel came off fine BUT the second was and still is a problem.. 4 of the 6 lug nuts came off easily.. the 5th turned about 1 turn and would not budge and the 6th after about 1/2 hour of twisting and turning both with a t-wrench and then an electric impact wrench it came off.. It is pictured below.. I immediately thought of who put it on last and the answer was a local repair shop that repacked the wheel bearings last year.. I went to them and they said that I had cross threaded them and it was my fault.. But when I explained that they were the last one to remove this whee from the hub, they agreed to fix the problem this weekend.. My question is just for my information.. Did they over tighten the lugs when they put them on or what can cause this? I am just happy I didn't have to replace a tire in transit only to find that I couldn't get the flat tire off.. Below is a picture of the damaged lug nut that also ruined the lug bolt as it came off.. Ideas or comments??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nut.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	123519  
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Team

That does look cross threaded. They just stuck the nut on there and used a big ole air impact to start and hammer it on. They didn't start the threads by hand like they should have.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #3

May have been cross threaded or it could have been rusted before removal this time. I have had that happen before. It will make them act like they are cross threaded and it will destroy the thread. If you live in a place where rust is going to be a problem, you can put a little anti-seize on the studs and it will protect them.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #4

I'm going out on a limb, that is a steel wheel lug nut, they just run it on with an impact gun, no torque wrench used, would bet on it. Steel wheels with lug nuts on and off multiple times without proper installation techniques cause your problem.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Definitely cross threaded by the service center. No rust on the nut.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #6

I always use anti-seize paste on the threads and make sure that the final torque on each nut is set with a torque wrench not an air wrench. Know the proper torque for your axles and tell the shop to put that on the instructions along with anti-seize and torque wrench. A good shop will have no problem with this procedure.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #7

The application of anti-seize compound on the threads is an excellent procedure, rust belt or not. One small caution...take care not to get the compound on the tapered part of the nut or rim. They need this friction to stay in place. I might also suggest that you check the holes in the wheel for damage, after looking at the odd shape of the nut.

Although the probability is fairly low, it is possible that the holes in the wheel are actually stretched from over-tightening. While this is somewhat remote, it looks like the lug nut had bottomed out against the hub, from the appearance of the bottom part of the nut. This is not supposed to ever happen, as it could easily lead to a loose wheel. There are several different versions of lug nuts, with different tapers, etc, although in the past they were all either 7/17-20 threads (GM) or 1/2-20 (everybody else) Now of course, pretty much everything is metric. The point of this is to look carefully at the lug nuts and the wheel and hub, to see what the situation is. I like to use extra caution in these cases! (And yes, I did nearly lose a wheel once because I had not paid enough attention!
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Lubrication will change torque values so make sure you torque properly.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #9
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
May have been cross threaded or it could have been rusted before removal this time. I have had that happen before. It will make them act like they are cross threaded and it will destroy the thread. If you live in a place where rust is going to be a problem, you can put a little anti-seize on the studs and it will protect them.
Never put anti seize on a wheel stud. Properly torqued and threaded nuts will come off evey time. You should use a torque stick for proper installation.anti-seize will alter the torque spec.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Lubrication will change torque values so make sure you torque properly.
If I remember, about 20-25 percent less torque with anti-seize, but I was always told by those how know, never use it. Just make sure the stud and nut threads are clean of rust and use a torque wrench.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #11

After reading the various positions on this, I started a bit of research to determine if what I learned as a budding young electrical apprentice in the 1960s was no longer valid. Apparently torque values today are assuming threads that are "clean and lightly lubricated" whether that applies to compounds such as "Never Seeze" or not, I do not know. However, that particular class of lubricants are still highly recommended on exhaust system components, as they stand the heat, and still allow the hardware to be taken apart in the future. They help prevent rusting. As mentioned before however, don't get it on the chamfer, as this apparently is what "locks" the fastening.

I've noticed also that many of the newer vehicles with alloy wheels, and even those with steel wheels no longer have the bolt holes counterbored or chamfered but rather use lug nuts with attached washers to (I assume) spread the clamping force over a wider area. Is this also the case here?
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
Never put anti seize on a wheel stud. Properly torqued and threaded nuts will come off evey time. You should use a torque stick for proper installation.anti-seize will alter the torque spec.
Not sure I can agree with your position here unless the appropriate maintenance manual prohibits its use. its used on spark plugs installation and is recommended along with proper torquing. Same thing.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Lab View Post
After reading the various positions on this, I started a bit of research to determine if what I learned as a budding young electrical apprentice in the 1960s was no longer valid. Apparently torque values today are assuming threads that are "clean and lightly lubricated" whether that applies to compounds such as "Never Seeze" or not, I do not know. However, that particular class of lubricants are still highly recommended on exhaust system components, as they stand the heat, and still allow the hardware to be taken apart in the future. They help prevent rusting. As mentioned before however, don't get it on the chamfer, as this apparently is what "locks" the fastening.

I've noticed also that many of the newer vehicles with alloy wheels, and even those with steel wheels no longer have the bolt holes counterbored or chamfered but rather use lug nuts with attached washers to (I assume) spread the clamping force over a wider area. Is this also the case here?
the steel wheels are chamfered... will see tomorrow when facility repairs the damage and what they say caused it..
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #14

Despite reading to the contrary, up here in salt territory all my wheel lugs (and pretty much everything else on a vehicle) gets never-seize. Dry, rusty/corroded threads are no fun. I do also put never seize on exhaust system fasteners, but the blue wrench in never far away when working on those. ;-)
herdsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #15
Site Team

All of our training materials state the same as to what Tire Rack has on their website concerning anti-seize compounds:

Make Sure Your Wheels Are Properly Torqued - Neal's Guide To Tire Buying | Tire Rack

and/or lubricants:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...&affiliate=TY2

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #16

Wheel studs or lug nuts are Torqued "Dry Fit",No Lube of any type! Same applies to any "High Vibration" fasteners! Youroo!!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #17

I've never lost or damaged a wheel due to too loose/too tight lug nuts. And I've always been able to get *mine* off without damage I can't say that is true for all I've had to remove. As my post said "Despite reading to the contrary" - so make your own decision, and if you don't have a good feel for what you're doing, follow the book.
herdsman is offline   Reply With Quote