Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
rotorhead1250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 277
Very interesting conversation on Torque and the art of torqueing.

1. a usually metal collar or neck chain worn by the ancient Gauls, Germans, and Britons
2. a turning or twisting force
__________________

__________________
Matt & Kathie
2017 Grey Wolf 27RR
rotorhead1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #52
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
my torque wrench tops out at 120 and they were tighter than that. I got the unit in January, but I bought it off of the lot then, so it may and probably was sitting awhile before that.

None of this is making any sense to me. I am not inclined to mess with the stock situation till I change something for another reason, like tires or whatever.
__________________

__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #53
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
my torque wrench tops out at 120 and they were tighter than that. I got the unit in January, but I bought it off of the lot then, so it may and probably was sitting awhile before that.

None of this is making any sense to me. I am not inclined to mess with the stock situation till I change something for another reason, like tires or whatever.
Just a question, if your wrench tops out at 120 how do you know they were tighter? Reversing a ratchet type torque wrench and loosening a bolt/nut does not give you the initial tightening torque. Also, if it was sitting on a lot for several months, there is rust/corrosion to consider.
__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #54
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
At past 120 nothing budged, no creaking, no movement, no nothing. Again, the question is what do I gain at this point disturbing the stock wheels and bolts? They are all above 85ftlbs. If I remove them now, I can't retorque them cause you say they are stretched and they have to be replaced. The wheels have not falled off yet.

I am guessing that FR tightened the crap out of these wheels. they weren't the right size in the first place (covered in an earlier post) and they had to get me a set of new load stickers.
__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #55
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
At past 120 nothing budged, no creaking, no movement, no nothing. Again, the question is what do I gain at this point disturbing the stock wheels and bolts? They are all above 85ftlbs. If I remove them now, I can't retorque them cause you say they are stretched and they have to be replaced. The wheels have not falled off yet.

I am guessing that FR tightened the crap out of these wheels. they weren't the right size in the first place (covered in an earlier post) and they had to get me a set of new load stickers.
Didn't say they were stretched, I am pretty sure wheel studs are gr 9, not gr 8 and a gr 9 bolt will take 141lb/ft. I would imagine the reason you couldn't move them is rust/corrosion, not from over torqueing. I would not replace them. A 1/2" wheel stud can be torqued to 90#-120#, that's why I set my wrench to 105# or 110#.

Remember, you can finger tighten a nut on a bolt and let it sit out in the weather a few weeks and you will have to use 2 wrenches to loosen it just because of rust/corrosion.
__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #56
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
So should I mess with them or wait till I have a reason? What is the risk of a bolt or stud snapping given the stock situation here.

Per FR, I checked to see they were not loose by making sure that they were above 85ftlbs, so I fullfilled that bargain. When I do anything to the wheels, I will check and make sure they are torqued correctly.

what kind of lubricant do you use on these studs, prior to putting bolts back on?
__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
DAISY BOYKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SUNSHINE STATE
Posts: 1,623
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I'm about torqued out!

You fellows are as bad as the weight police!
__________________
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #58
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
So should I mess with them or wait till I have a reason? What is the risk of a bolt or stud snapping given the stock situation here.

Per FR, I checked to see they were not loose by making sure that they were above 85ftlbs, so I fullfilled that bargain. When I do anything to the wheels, I will check and make sure they are torqued correctly.

what kind of lubricant do you use on these studs, prior to putting bolts back on?
Just whatever grimy dirt is on my hands at the time.
I don't think they should be lubricated.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #59
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Just whatever grimy dirt is on my hands at the time.
I don't think they should be lubricated.
X2.
__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #60
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
You fellows are as bad as the weight police!
Go back to sleep!
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.