Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #1

Lumpy/grabby brakes - finally fixed!

I have posted twice about the problems we've been having with the brakes on our Coachmen Catalina:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kes-21605.html

Lumpy/grabby brakes update

We bought the TT last August and only went on a few camping trips near home until this past July and have been able to manage with the brakes. In July when we drove about 1,800 miles around Washington & Oregon and had a LOT of trouble with the brakes. So much so, that during our trip we stopped at a repair shop in Oregon and upgraded to a Prodigy P3 BC, which did not help.

I just picked up our trailer from our dealer. It turns out that the problem was from Cosmoline grease that was not removed by the dealer during the initial prep for the customer. No out of round drums or mechanical issues. Just the Cosmoline. Now the braking is just fine! Prior to this we have spent near $1,000 installing the Prodigy BC and rebuilding the front brakes on our truck.

Basically the dealer was negligent in not properly removing all of the Cosmoline, if any at all. Cosmoline is a brownish/waxy rust preventitive that is typically sprayed on autmotive and other parts to protect them before they are put into service (crankshaft, eg.). It's greasy and sticky.

The problem we may have is that the service manager is not sure if they will cover the work under our warranty. His attitude was "well you should have brought it in sooner." I have to go back to the dealer to get a couple of windows and the bathroom door replaced (warranty) so I am not sure how the brake issue is going to shake out in the end. I would be so choked that I would even consider going to court. Dealer even wants to charge us $150 just for taking the brakes apart to check them out.

So there it is. If your brakes are acting up, it might not be a mechanical problem, a faulty or cheap brake controller or something on your TV. Pop your drums off and look for Cosmoline.....

Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

With all due respect the cosmoline grease should have been cleaned during assembly at the place the axle was put together "most likely lippert" NOT the dealer .

Cosmoline is a brownish/waxy rust preventitive that is typically sprayed on autmotive and other parts to protect them before they are put into service

you said it all right here .

Ron

Old 08-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #3

According to a guy at the service counter yesterday, I thought he said that removal of the Cosmoline is something they do in dealer prep. I still don't know just what the brakes assembly looks like behind the drum. Are there components that still need Cosmoline on them until they are sold to a customer? Trucks and cars don't.

The dealer made it sound like there was Cosmoline on the shoes and drums which is why the brakes were grabbing per revolution. But is the Cosmoline perhaps normally only put on surfaces where the wheel bearings fit onto?

The same guy did say that they are Lippert brakes. Maybe they all are on these sizes and types of RVs? So if Lippert didn't remove the Cosmoline, shouldn't it be covered under our warranty without any argument?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

cosmoline as a rule would be put on the drum surface where the brake rides on.
With that being said IMO it would have burned off relatively quick but who's to say .
I honestly believe if thats truly the case that the axle manufacture did not remove it and caused issues I think yes it should be covered under warranty .
trying to prove it thats another story . Im not sure why the counter person would say that since the camper may have to travel hundreds if not thousands of miles to the dealer with the same cosmoline on it.
Think of it this way once drum is installed CLEAN it sits outside most of its life without it .
should have been cleaned at the axle manufacture when it was put together .

sorry about your luck .
Ron
Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
cosmoline as a rule would be put on the drum surface where the brake rides on.
With that being said IMO it would have burned off relatively quick but who's to say .
I honestly believe if thats truly the case that the axle manufacture did not remove it and caused issues I think yes it should be covered under warranty .
trying to prove it thats another story . Im not sure why the counter person would say that since the camper may have to travel hundreds if not thousands of miles to the dealer with the same cosmoline on it.
Think of it this way once drum is installed CLEAN it sits outside most of its life without it .
should have been cleaned at the axle manufacture when it was put together .

sorry about your luck .
Ron
Agree, cosmoline is used only on bare parts that are put in storage BEFORE being assembled. The cosmoline should have been cleaned off before the brakes/drums/axles were assembled. The cosmoline will not just disappear with usage as you found out. I would arm myself with all the material I could find on cosmoline and its use and politely get into a discussion with the service manager at the dealership. If that doesn't work, I would try the owner, then start after someone at FR. Make sure you keep records. As a final step only would I mention refering it to your lawyer.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As a part time RV tech, we have never pulled the drums off a new trailer and cleaned them. They get towed in from Indiana behind a one ton truck. Trucks are owned by private individuals, and seldom see the same driver twice in a year. Once we set up the hitch and get everything connected, a tech drives the customer and his vehicle with trailer, a short distance, checking brake controller, and explaining wide turns. That is the only brake check the camper ever gets, unless a customer comes back complaining.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes