Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #1

Massive Damage from Tire Blowout

I was coming home from a trip last weekend and had a blowout at 60 mph on the freeway. The rear passanger side tire on my 07 Surveyor blew and the tred did some MAJOR damage. It tore apart the sheet metal tire well, wrapped up elecrical wires which in turn cut away at the inside trailer's woodwork and flooring. I have a gaping hole under my table about 10" x 6". Yanked out 2 electrical outlets, pulled the freshwater tank fill hoses, etc etc. I am totaly bummed, but my reason for posting is 2 fold:

Has similar damage occured to anyone else due to a tire blowout?

Does Forest River offer a thicker guage metel wheel well so this won't happen again?

I tried a local dealer for advice, but they want to fix it on their own, so they are not too helpful.
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #2

What year and model is the Surveyer?
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #3

What brand of tire?
donbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know anout his, but I blew a Mission TC-108, size 205/75/15 Friday night at 62 mph. No damage except to the tire, and time lost changing one on the side of the highway, traffic side. Was a lot of fun in a 65 mph zone. Still waiting to hear about warranty since my Work and Play 18LT was purchased in November and had less than 600 miles on it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
I was coming home from a trip last weekend and had a blowout at 60 mph on the freeway. The rear passanger side tire on my 07 Surveyor blew and the tred did some MAJOR damage. It tore apart the sheet metal tire well, wrapped up elecrical wires which in turn cut away at the inside trailer's woodwork and flooring. I have a gaping hole under my table about 10" x 6". Yanked out 2 electrical outlets, pulled the freshwater tank fill hoses, etc etc. I am totaly bummed, but my reason for posting is 2 fold:

Has similar damage occured to anyone else due to a tire blowout?

Does Forest River offer a thicker guage metel wheel well so this won't happen again?

I tried a local dealer for advice, but they want to fix it on their own, so they are not too helpful.
Tough deal, you might fab a thicker fender liner.

The fam and myself recently traveled from Charlotte nc to Cape Cod, about 900 miles each way. We blew a tire near Petersburg VA on I85. Speed 60ish. I did'nt have a spare, I will blame that on being a newb but honestly I knew better and new the TT did'nt have one but had spent alot o cash on camper stuff (wdh, brake controller, etc...) so blew it off. (key word...BLEW)
Luckly we were going striaght and it popped very close to a rest area, we pulled in. It was Saturday night so we stayed in the rest area and Sunday morning I found a Tire kingdom open, got the tire replaced and back on the road, a day down, drove 14 hours on fathers day. It will be easily remembered.lol
Anywho, there was no damage to the TT. I bought a spare at cape Cod. Once back home got the reminder of the tires replaced. When I got them off the TT I could not believe how bad they were, all had slip belts and dry rotted, I was very lucky the rest did'nt pop! I would guess them 8 years old. I'm guess the contant lack of use must be bad for tires, they get flat spots causing vibration. Also, low tire presure can cuase excessive heat build up.

Welp, hope you get your rig fixed up.

Take care joe
Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #6

Its an '07 285RS with Goodyear tires from the factory.
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Show us some pictures!!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #8

Jeez tonyz, sorry to hear about the damage. Don't know what to tell you other than to let the insurance co handle it. We had a flat on our SV 291 on the left rear this June and didn't know it till we pulled into a gas station. Don't know how long we ran flat but the tire did not come apart. Looking into a tire monitoring system now.
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote