Old 08-19-2015, 01:31 AM   #41
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
My first thought that came to mind was that line in Jaws, "We're going to need a bigger boat!"

I'm not a big fan of being near the limits of anything.

You know what happens when there is too much of you in your pants?

Heh, true dat. Especially after seeing Lou/Herk's picture of his broken axle and he's very weight conscience!

Old 08-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #42
Fulltime family RVer

As mentioned, yesterday I spent the day at Bud's Body Shop in Elkhart. They were installing new springs and I had the wheels shipped directly to them.

Here was my view for most of the day. On the bright-side, we had a visitor a couple of times in the form of a good dog and ill-behaved dog owner.

They let me go visit the camper and check out the work while it went on. First, they removed the wheels on both sides and one of the springs to measure it.

Here's the passenger's side:

The old spring:

Here's the driver's side:

The new wheels + tires look good:

At lunch, I took a walk up to a nearby RV shop to see if they had any interest in buying the old rims + tires. They did not. But, coming back- I took this picture of Bud's:

Here Erwin is just installing the last spring:

Old vs. new springs:

I don't know if this was the worst or just the one closest to him when we were talking. I think the latter- he just grabbed a random one.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #43
Fulltime family RVer

Here's the driver's side all complete:

I don't have pictures because I would have pissed myself watching, but after the installation- Erwin backed the camper into their alignment bay. This is a long bay with a pit and 2 narrow ramps that he had to back the camper onto.

Once that was done, outside I took these pictures of the passenger side:

Underneath, looking at the driver's side:

Selfie-style of the passenger side:

Here's the list of what he bought from the axle shop for the springs and related stuff:

All told, it cost me about $850.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #44
Who Dares, Wins

As for the pup.. I think the owners are usually the ones less behaved...

Everything is looking good. Is the Ez-Flex Equalizer stock on your rig or did you add that? I guess it is off topic but I recently was reading about weak nylon bushings and upgrading them to bronze (maybe brass) them changing out equalizers for greasable and stronger shackle links. Just curious if it was stock and if not does the trailer "ride" better. Thanks.

PS. I assume you are a full timer?

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #45
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
As for the pup.. I think the owners are usually the ones less behaved...

Everything is looking good. Is the Ez-Flex Equalizer stock on your rig or did you add that? I guess it is off topic but I recently was reading about weak nylon bushings and upgrading them to bronze (maybe brass) them changing out equalizers for greasable and stronger shackle links. Just curious if it was stock and if not does the trailer "ride" better. Thanks.

PS. I assume you are a full timer?
The equalizer is stock. We still have messes inside the camper depending on the roads. I want to have shocks installed on the camper to hopefully lessen the craziness back there. Even though it's expensive, these are the ones that I'm thinking of going with:
RV Improvement Systems

And we're sort of full timers... we have just embarked on a 14-month trip and we're 2 months in on it. We have rented our house out back home. As of now, we don't know if we'll stop at the end, keep going, or even cut it short.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #46
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by brireey View Post
Does anyone know what rims they used on 2012 Crusader? I would like to upgrade my tires and also would like to know what tire pressures the factory rims will withstand. Lots of good responses on this thread.
I didn't check my rims, but I did check the spacing between the wheels. I intended to go to a G rated tire, but I only have a 2 inch space between tires. Couldn't find any G rated tire with the same tire diameter as E rated.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #47
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The equalizer is stock. We still have messes inside the camper depending on the roads. I want to have shocks installed on the camper to hopefully lessen the craziness back there. Even though it's expensive, these are the ones that I'm thinking of going with:
RV Improvement Systems

And we're sort of full timers... we have just embarked on a 14-month trip and we're 2 months in on it. We have rented our house out back home. As of now, we don't know if we'll stop at the end, keep going, or even cut it short.
They are pricey but they do look solid! I wondered if the "upgraded" equalizer made a difference.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #48
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
They are pricey but they do look solid! I wondered if the "upgraded" equalizer made a difference.

I don't know what a camper is supposed to look like inside, but this equa-flex still lets quite the calamity occur.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #49
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
I didn't check my rims, but I did check the spacing between the wheels. I intended to go to a G rated tire, but I only have a 2 inch space between tires. Couldn't find any G rated tire with the same tire diameter as E rated.

The Goodyear G614s (I think I have that right) have the same diameter, are a G-rated tire, and fits the 16" rims.

As far as I could tell, this was my only other option vs. what I did.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #50

Doug, this is an excellent thread, and has been very informative. You mentioned that your other option was going with the Gy614 tires. What factors caused you to not do this, especially since it would have been less expensive. I'm sure you had good reasons,....I'm very curious what they were.

Tags
tire, tires, weight