Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 04:25 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Glenn, I am not sure what you meant by "GW" so I can't address that.

What I can say is the effect known as "The Rule of Unintended Consequences" applies when you think you are going to make something "better" by changing something. There are always consequences to change of any kind. Some consequences are predictable and mitigations can be "engineered" into your solution; but the ones that keep engineers up at night are the unintended consequences that only become apparent AFTER you have passed the point of no return.

A perfect example was the Apollo space capsule where the LEM was designed by one aerospace company and the Command module by a different one. The Command Module used a CO2 scrubber with square connections and the LEM used a CO2 scrubber with round connections.

The consequence of that decision did not become apparent until Apollo 13 when the 3 astronauts needed to use the LEM's system as a "lifeboat" and scrubbers from the Command Module were needed in the LEM to keep the guys from suffocating.

This is the actual hack that saved the astronauts of the Apollo XIII

Putting an axle significantly stiffer than called for by the initial design (whether on your camper or your truck), will not make your camper or truck CAPABLE of "carrying" more than its initial design without consequences (some seen and others unforeseen) to other systems that make up your vehicle.
Herk I kinda meant what post #59 said. You can beef up your tires and suspension, but you still have other thing then come into play like your frame. I'm no expert, but kinda sounds like an overlaod trying to be solved. Maybe I read to much into it. But thanks for your answer...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #62
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Herk I kinda meant what post #59 said. You can beef up your tires and suspension, but you still have other thing then come into play like your frame. I'm no expert, but kinda sounds like an overlaod trying to be solved. Maybe I read to much into it. But thanks for your answer...

It's a good thought, but not where I'm coming from.

I know where my weights are as I got weighed at each wheel. Overall, I'm slightly overloaded but this isn't to fix that- that is only solved by dumping *stuff*. I want to shed 500-1,000 lbs. we are working on it.

The real issue I'm trying too fix with the tires is that I had 2 within 20 pounds of their carrying capacity and 1 that was actually over by 80 pounds. To me, that was a recipe for issues.

Even with another 1,500 lbs. of carrying capacity in each tire, my goal of shedding 500-1,000 lbs. overall still stands.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #63
Mod free 5er

Sounds like shedding the 500#-1000# would solve the problem without new tires/wheels. Maybe shed 1000#-1500# would be even better. Can think of one mod that you made that might be made lighter.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's a good thought, but not where I'm coming from.

I know where my weights are as I got weighed at each wheel. Overall, I'm slightly overloaded but this isn't to fix that- that is only solved by dumping *stuff*. I want to shed 500-1,000 lbs. we are working on it.

The real issue I'm trying too fix with the tires is that I had 2 within 20 pounds of their carrying capacity and 1 that was actually over by 80 pounds. To me, that was a recipe for issues.

Even with another 1,500 lbs. of carrying capacity in each tire, my goal of shedding 500-1,000 lbs. overall still stands.
ependydad, I was really trying to get the saftey Margin from Herk. Really didn't think you would do that. But you are overweight, and I'm not the weight police. I also remember in other post about you shedding pounds and you know you have to. But I read this stuff and some people that don't might think that is away to increase your GVW. Didn't mean to insult you. I went from "C" to "D" rated because I thought the #'s were to close for my comfort. Your probably one of the most cautious people on the site.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #65
Always Learning

Quote:
ependydad, I was really trying to get the saftey Margin from Herk. Really didn't think you would do that. But you are overweight, and I'm not the weight police. I also remember in other post about you shedding pounds and you know you have to. But I read this stuff and some people that don't might think that is away to increase your GVW. Didn't mean to insult you. I went from "C" to "D" rated because I thought the #'s were to close for my comfort. Your probably one of the most cautious people on the site.......

Thanks, Glenn. Wasn't insulted- just wanted to clarify why I did what I did. We're all good, bud!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #66

Quote:
Didn't mean to insult you. I went from "C" to "D" rated because I thought the #'s were to close for my comfort. Your probably one of the most cautious people on the site.......
I too didn't mean to insult, just curious.

I went to LRE Carlisles from the LRC "China Bombs" mainly for more durability and dependability.

My dr told me I need to shed weight too or I will have problems down the road.

Hmmm, what can I do without?...
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #67
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
... My dr told me I need to shed weight too or I will have problems down the road.

Hmmm, what can I do without?...
Mine did too when I retired, so I went from 195 in Jul 2006 to 142/4 now. Don't know if it helped with what I can and can't do, but at least the dr. is happier.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #68
Commercial Member

Doug
Sorry for not posting earlier but I missed the start of this thread. (As I try and monitor about 10 different forums, write my blog, moderate one forum and contribute to another I sometimes miss a question) In the future you are more than welcome to send email (address published under my picture on my blog).

OK reviewed the posts. My suggestion would have been

Loose some weight. Ya you can go to tires & wheels with more capacity but you are jsut changing the "weakest link" to some other component which might ultimately be the frame, brakes or hitch.

There are some high capacity "commercial" tires in LR-F, G & H out there but be sure you review all the limits, not just load and inflation as some have a 62 mph Max speed rating.

Good luck
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #69
Mod free 5er

Now something else will break.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:46 AM   #70
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
My suggestion would have been

Loose some weight.
Yep, we're working on it.