Old 04-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Maxxis 8008 speed rating Q

Okay, I've received some information concerning load/speed rating from Maxxis. I had to read it a couple of times before it started making sense.
I also received additional emails clarifying this. If anyone wants it, just ask, and I'll post them.

This is a copy/paste of their email to me;

The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q" speed rated. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #2

I bought Maxxis 8008's 225/75/15 LR E last fall. If I'm not loaded to the max allowed should I still run the tires at the max 80psi?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
I bought Maxxis 8008's 225/75/15 LR E last fall. If I'm not loaded to the max allowed should I still run the tires at the max 80psi?
Yes.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Okay, I've received some information concerning load/speed rating from Maxxis. I had to read it a couple of times before it started making sense.
I also received additional emails clarifying this. If anyone wants it, just ask, and I'll post them.

This is a copy/paste of their email to me;

The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q" speed rated. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
The Maxxis have a speed rating of "U".

If they're not marked, re: "without a service description" - then they're 65mph with a sliding scale for derating the carrying capacity AND increasing the PSI in the tire.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
I would run at max sidewall pressure. Worst case you wear the tire a little more down the middle, but that's something you can keep an eye on. Doubtful that you would ever wear the tire out before they need changing anyway.

Good choice in tires Hondo. Have fun.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:14 AM   #6
RetiredRVer

Just wondering what percentage of Forest River units actually have blowouts or other significant tire issues....there seems to be an abundance of complaints and worry about these tire issues. I have seen my share of trucks and autos on the side of the road with tire issues, but rarely see a TT, 5th wheel or motor home with those problems. I firmly believe Forest River, or any other RV manufacturer, would not jeopardize the safety of their customers by installing inferior tires on their products. That being said, if one runs their tires properly inflated, and keeps their speed at 65 MPH or less, most of us will safely arrive at our destinations with no tire problems. Of course, as with any product, there will be failures. But tire problems on our RV's can't nearly be as severe as this forum seems to think.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The Maxxis have a speed rating of "U".

If they're not marked, re: "without a service description" - then they're 65mph with a sliding scale for derating the carrying capacity AND increasing the PSI in the tire.
Help me understand what you're saying. A "U" speed rating would be 124 mph. I have never seen an ST tire with a U rating. The dialogue I had with a Maxxis regional manager specifically addressed the MAXXIS ST235/80R16 tires that I just purchased, which are rated for 3420 lbs. So, my camper tires are currently carrying slightly less than 3000 lbs each (calculated). So, according to the Maxxis load chart, I should run 70 psi, unless I plan to drive 65-75 mph. In this case, simply air the tires to 80 psi. The regional manager sent me a copy of the tire load chart, which is available at their website.