Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #1

Maxxis Tires on Amazon

Based on the ton of feedback and my factory supplied Trail Express tires already worn on the edges I started looking for tires. Local dealer had C rated 205/75/15 Goodyear's made in China for 120 each plus install and tax. Local maxxis dealer non stock d rated same size for 130 plus install and tax with a 1 week lead time. Amazon had d rated maxxis for 129 each and with amazon prime free 2 day shipping and no tax. Taking a chance on this....we will see.

Prices seem high I think but went for it anyway

Trailer is at Heavy truck shop getting axles aligned....its an expensive month!
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #2

Just had 4 Maxxis 225/75/15 D rated installed for $550 at Discount Tire Center in Central Ohio. Replaced Carlisle C rated. Only traveled around 5 miles on them so I don't have any info if going up a load range will help with towing.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
Just had 4 Maxxis 225/75/15 D rated installed for $550 at Discount Tire Center in Central Ohio. Replaced Carlisle C rated. Only traveled around 5 miles on them so I don't have any info if going up a load range will help with towing.
Based on your info...it looks that my deal was about right. should be about 50 to have them installed.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Had 4 225-775-15 LR D Marathons put on yesterday, mounted, lifetime balance, high pressure stems for $562.98.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

ryand, if you get the tires from Amazon, who will put them on?
I would have just got them from the local dealer. If I was him, and you brought in your own tires, I would charge you more for the install.
Regardless, make sure you put the steel stems in, and get them balanced. We used bead balancing, which is supposed to last the life of the tire.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
I would have just got them from the local dealer. If I was him, and you brought in your own tires, I would charge you more for the install.
Regardless, make sure you put the steel stems in, and get them balanced. We used bead balancing, which is supposed to last the life of the tire.
Tire Discounter put on high pressure valves on mine and they were rubber near rim and about inch of metal toward valve. Installer said they were HP rubber with metal reinforcing and that they have more issues with the all metal stems. Max tire pressure is 65 psi on mine.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
daydreaming about camping

Quote:

with the popularity of tire rack etc., most installers have a set price for install of customer tires. they will not warranty the tires even if brand they carry, you have go back to point of purchase or manufacturer. any reputable shop will quote you install separate. It is usually 15-20 per tire with new valve stem, balanced etc. including disposal fee (if any).

local tire prices vary considerably based upon brand and there relationship with distributor. They have been through typically 2-3 hands before they get to you.

These prices really make me appreciate the deal I got on Greenball Towmasters for my boat trailer summer before last. They are C rated (gross weight is under 7500 on that trailer) for 430 with tax installed.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
We used bead balancing, which is supposed to last the life of the tire.
Bead balancing works................but they have to free flow. The tire needs to always be dry inside.

1.You don't ever need to use fix-a-flat liquid type products which will gum up the beads.

2. Don't insert outside to inside plugs, which will interfere with the beads flow

3. If you have the tire properly repaired with an inside patch, make sure the tech doesn't use a patch sealer over the patch. This sealer is real sticky and the beads will stick here. Also, ask them to coat over the patch and overbuffed liner area with baby powder, which will soak up excess glue (you do the same thing when running inner tubes so the tubes don't glue themselves to the tire) and give the beads a smooth area to roll over.

4. I know this is real hard, and is almost impractical....but when adding air to the tires, you need to use air compressors with good water filters on them. Air tanks sweat (we drain ours daily) and accumulate water in them. This water will make it into the air lines and into your tires, thus clumping up the beads.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Owner/Operator

I thought of going the Amazon route, but found that amazon cannot ship tires to Arizona addresses.

So it was down to trusty old Discount Tire, which will provide a service facility just about anywhere in the US if required.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Defiantly the downside to sourcing your own. Shop doing the axle work will mount and balance for 50. Still cheaper than using the maxxis dealer here in town. Other thing I noted is that the ST tire at the three dealers I called is not covered by any pro rated warranty if it should fail. Interesting.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Bead balancing works...but they have to free flow. The tire needs to always be dry inside.
1.You don't ever need to use fix-a-flat liquid type products which will gum up the beads.
2. Don't insert outside to inside plugs, which will interfere with the beads flow
3. If you have the tire properly repaired with an inside patch, make sure the tech doesn't use a patch sealer over the patch. This sealer is real sticky and the beads will stick here. Also, ask them to coat over the patch and overbuffed liner area with baby powder, which will soak up excess glue (you do the same thing when running inner tubes so the tubes don't glue themselves to the tire) and give the beads a smooth area to roll over.
4. I know this is real hard, and is almost impractical....but when adding air to the tires, you need to use air compressors with good water filters on them. Air tanks sweat (we drain ours daily) and accumulate water in them. This water will make it into the air lines and into your tires, thus clumping up the beads.
Just my opinion, but you just listed all the reasons to use regular method of balancing a tire. Why go thru all that hassle?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just my opinion, but you just listed all the reasons to use regular method of balancing a tire. Why go thru all that hassle?
It really isn't a hassle, and the balancing lasts the life of the tire, even compensating for a stone stuck in the tread.
There are a lot of commercial users that use them in our area, and they do so for a reason. I will trust their professional judgement.

And ryand, $50 for mounting and balancing 4 tires sounds like a pretty good deal!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Tires don't necessarily wear in even amounts. They can wear more due to alignment, worn parts, etc. Because the tire doesn't wear equal, it won't necessarily stay balanced either, since the weights applied outside for the tire/wheel at a certain point in time pertain to the amount of light and heavy spots at that time. Just getting mud clumped on your wheel too, will cause imbalance. This is why you rebalance tires every so often.

The inside balance bead products, are constantly moving, thus providing a constant balance irregardless of most wear (unless it's something so drastic that it can't compensate for). As the light spot(s) in the assembly change, the beads will compensate.

The reason I posted what I did, was for anyone who uses the balance bead products, to be aware of certain things. It's not hard to remember those few caveats.......and a lot of people will never even need to have their tire repaired.

We use balance bead products, and work on tires that have them in them. I tell my customers the same thing when we use the beads.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Now a "Top Member"

I picked up my 16" E rated Maxxis tires on E-bay for $660 (all four). And free shipping. The date codes on all of them were less than 6 months old. I had Discount Tire mount and balance them all for under $100.00. The cheapest quote I got from anyone around there for the same tires was just over $900.00. So I saved a bit going the online route.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote