Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufinger View Post
I recently removed my TPMs until I replace the rubber stems (the TPMs were hitting my wheels). My valve stems also sit in a recessed hole and the Good Year service manager said that Inner Mount Valve Stems (with the nuts on the inside of the wheel) should work although he did say he will need to break one of the tires down to make sure. Larry G.
Had the same issue with my Alcoa Forged aluminum wheels on my truck. Rather than go to a bottom bolt on stem, I machined hard nylon spacers from stock that space the nut above the recess so I can use conventional bolt on (screw down) stems with no issue.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #22

If you can't fit your wheels w/all metal stems, the saving grace is with TPMS you will get a alarm if the stems split
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #23

I could be off base on this assumption but, rubber valve stems today, I suspect most, if not all are made in Asia and like China Bomb tires, you don't know if or when they will fail. Like I said, been there and did that on the side of the freeway (split stem). Thought I had a blowout (and iit was with a Michelin tire on my truck). Turned out to be the stem let go but the result is the same... flat tire.

Bolt on or screw down stems eliminate that issue entirely. Probably why race drives must use metal stems on their racing wheels. That is madated by various racing organizations. You will never find a rubber valve stem on a commercial truck either or a farm tractor. All bolt on / screw down stems. Wonder why.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I could be off base on this assumption but, rubber valve stems today, I suspect most, if not all are made in Asia and like China Bomb tires, you don't know if or when they will fail. Like I said, been there and did that on the side of the freeway (split stem). Thought I had a blowout (and iit was with a Michelin tire on my truck). Turned out to be the stem let go but the result is the same... flat tire.

Bolt on or screw down stems eliminate that issue entirely. Probably why race drives must use metal stems on their racing wheels. That is madated by various racing organizations. You will never find a rubber valve stem on a commercial truck either or a farm tractor. All bolt on / screw down stems. Wonder why.

The race cars use nitrogen in there tires, is that what you are suggesting? My truck just turned 100,000 miles and all it's ever had was rubber stems and the whole time TST 507. Works for me
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #25
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandSH View Post
Some alloy wheels are not machined to accept a threaded (bolt-on type) metal stem. Mine were like that on the wheels of our Flagstaff 5er. When I had a set of Maxxis tires mounted shortly after installing TST507 non- flow through sensors the tire shop installed snap-in high pressure stems similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/TR600-Pressur.../dp/B006UH5DEK

The stem is brass, although not a true "metal valve" and works perfect for supporting a TPMS sensor.
That's exactly the type stem that failed on my truck with TST external sensors, and I'd take issue with your last sentence.

I now have true steel stems, and I'd ask the brand of the alloy rims that are machined such that they cannot accept a steel stem.

Quote:
Had the same issue with my Alcoa Forged aluminum wheels on my truck. Rather than go to a bottom bolt on stem, I machined hard nylon spacers from stock that space the nut above the recess so I can use conventional bolt on (screw down) stems with no issue.
Refer back to Post #3 above for a lead on steel stems that will fit an alloy rim that has a counter-bore on the outside surface.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The race cars use nitrogen in there tires, is that what you are suggesting? My truck just turned 100,000 miles and all it's ever had was rubber stems and the whole time TST 507. Works for me
Lets not get into the Nitrogen fiasco again.....

I use Nitrogen, 78%.

Back in the day. we drag raced and never used nitrogen in the wrinkle walls.

Maybe you have good stems. Maybe you are on borrowed time... That is a crapshoot.

So easy to install bolt down stems. Why take a chance?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Lets not get into the Nitrogen fiasco again.....

I use Nitrogen, 78%.

Back in the day. we drag raced and never used nitrogen in the wrinkle walls.

Maybe you have good stems. Maybe you are on borrowed time... That is a crapshoot.

So easy to install bolt down stems. Why take a chance?
You use 78% nitrogen as well? So do I! [emoji6]

I use the have rubber stems on my rims. The tpms sensors would bend the stem and it would tap on the rim causing the paint to wear and eventually broke a sensor. Now I got the metal ones and all is well!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Hey everyone. I ordered the Xtra Seal 17-428 from O'Reilly auto parts. Today I got them installed and they worked perfectly. I will say that I think they are the ONLY ones that would fit my rims. So I'm happy and excited about not having to worry about stem failure with the TPMS sensors installed.

Thanks everyone for the discussion and information.

Bob
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve