Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Metal valve stem leak, TPMS saved the day

New 2016 Wildcat with the now standard 16" Maxxis tires and safety rims. Apparently the metal valve stem on one of the tires had a loose lock nut. About 30 mins into our trip this week, the TPMS alarm sounded when one of the 80psi tires dropped to 58psi. Luckily I was still in the DFW metro area and I diverted to a nearby Discount Tire. The guys were great they checked all 4 tires, found the loose nut and remedied it. They then checked pressure and nuts on all the rest. All services done for free and quick. Finished our week long trip with no further issues. In my mind, the TPMS just paid for itself.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Glad it turned out well for you. But this simply underscores why I only trust my work on my vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles and RV.

The question you might be asking right now, is what else is loose?

We're on our third RV and we bought each one new and I was pretty thorough at the delivery inspection. BUT... when I got them home, I spent a weekend going over them with a fine tooth comb. I found a LOT of things that would have failed, or were not correct and fixed them and little or no cost.

Things like:
  • Lug nuts not torqued to spec (twice, one was finger tight!)
  • Brakes NOT adjusted evenly
  • Grease pushed out of the inner seal in the brake drum (twice).
  • water line fittings loose
  • no braces to prevent black and gray tanks from sliding forward under braking, disconnecting them from dump lines (that could have been ugly!)
  • TV/Cable/Satellite cabling fittings loose
  • wires laying on sharp edges
  • drawer rail screws loose
  • tire pressure off by up to 15 psi

I have confidence that when we hitch up to go, we are "Good to Go".

I would encourage you to be diligent in doing pre-trip (and even during trip) checks.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak