Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #1

Micro 20cb spare tire mounting

Has anyone mounted their spare on the rear bumper with long term success? What jack have you chosen? Have you found a better way to mount the spare? Thanks in advance
NB2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #2

I put my spare in the back right corner of rear storage area . Cut a piece of plywood contoured to the tire so I could store stuff on top of the spare. Works great !
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #3

Spare tire

[QUOTE=NB2A;2107012]Has anyone mounted their spare on the rear bumper with long term success? What jack have you chosen? Have you found a better way to mount the spare? Thanks in advance

Just completed 3000km trip including some gravel roads. No issues on the spare tire mount whatsoever. As you can see in photos the mount was a off the shelf that was customized slightly to accommodate the wheel shape. The foam on the outside covers the bolts to prevent wear on the tire cover..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DDFA85D-BC52-4508-A8F7-2E3C2692E479.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	206894   Click image for larger version

Name:	E6543C61-9F3F-4192-BAA0-6398BCA50984.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	206895   Click image for larger version

Name:	A1A85596-9E33-4AF5-8635-3D7FB7ADD19C.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	206896  
Maurice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #4

I called Forest River and a tech told me whatever I do for a mount do not use the rear bumper for a tire mount. They insist there is too much up and down stress on the bumper. I find that surprising to say the least. They suggested using the shelf area inside the rear passenger storage. That makes no sense either since the wheel does not fit there. They alsp said do not sit in the storage bins either since they will more than likely come loose too. Do they think most will drive without even a spare?
NB2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

Spare tire

Hmm - don’t mount a spare on the bumper and don’t sit in the bin????? Just how do you pull the lever for low point drain , it’s impossible through the porthole and besides I don’t happen to have 7 foot arms to stand outside and perform that function. The spare tire mounting is a mystery to me - sounds like liability protection. I am not willing to travel around the countryside without a spare.
Maurice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #6

Spare tire mounting

I cut a piece of plywood that fit in the molded recess of the bin inside the small rear storage door.
I then cut another piece in a circle same size as tire.
I put 2 - 2x3 inch spacers about a foot long between the 2 pieces of plywood. This brought the circular plywood to the same level of the flooring adjacent to the bin ( right side and rear )
The tire rests on the circular plywood which rests on the adjacent main storage flooring ( Right and front ) as well as partially on the plywood covering the bin ( left and rear )
Don’t think it will pose any problem whatsoever .the weight of the tire ( about 76 lbs) is very well spread out. .
In answer to the tire blocking access to the valves - I solved that by making 1/2 of the bed plywood deck a hinged access that allows complete access and inspection of the plumbing as well as a great hiding place for valuables etc. I can get access even with the mattress in place.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tire