Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
Loree's Husband

Missing brake cable

We leave our Roo at a campground and they place it on site before we arrive....and return to storage at the campground when we leave. Somehow...during our last camping time the breakaway brake cable is missing. Can we buy just the cable and reconnect ?
mshriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

I sheared mine in half somehow bringing my new trailer home a few weeks ago. Bought a new one from the dealer for about $10. It came attached to the plunger for the switch.

I'm assuming the cable and plunger are gone and not just the cable. If that's the case, chances are your battery is toast if it was engaged and I'd give the brakes a good test to make sure nothing was damaged there from being on for an extended period.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshriver View Post
Can we buy just the cable and reconnect ?
If it's just the cable, then yes...but if it's the cable and the plunger the cable is attached to as raspivey stated, then no.

I'm also probably thinking the plunger was pulled out with the cable. Kids and dogs are bad about doing this.

If the plunger was pulled, and you had a battery connected, then most likely your brakes have been energized up until the point the battery depleted or something else melted (the breakaway switches will melt over time too).

Does the RV park also keep your RV plugged in while in storage? The reason I ask that .... is if they do, then your converter was putting a charge to the battery and thus keeping the brakes energized for the whole time.

Replacing the whole breakaway switch with a new one is just as simple as cutting and splicing two wires (but make sure the battery is disconnected before doing this).

Let us know what you find out.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
If it's just the cable, then yes...but if it's the cable and the plunger the cable is attached to as raspivey stated, then no.
I did replace both. The cable came packaged with the plunger attached. Direct replacement. I just pulled the old one out and tossed it.

Tags
brakes