Old 08-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
The saga continues. They showed up 3 hours late and then told me that my axles aren't Dexter axles so the brake drum they got isn't right and also the bearing. The jack is still under the 5er. The mechanic wasn't happy as well as me. He then told me I better hope that the parts don't come from the US as it will take a while to get here....we don't leave until the day after Labour Day.
After not bothering to check the axle model before ordering the parts, I'd say HE better hope the parts don't come from the US! Good help... it's so hard to find.

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #12

Several things...

We still haven't seen pictures but from the description, I've seen something like this a few times before.

1. The brakes on that particular wheel could have been adjusted too tight causing excessive heat. The constant rubbing of the brake shoes to the 'drum' part, (the part that the brake shoes touch) can heat the the metal to sometimes almost red hot. The center part attached to the hub via the lug nuts does not get as hot (more mass) and because of thermal expansion/contraction, the 'drum part develops a crack at the hub part. Applying the brakes really hard or panic stopping causes the drum to break apart.

2. The OP mentioned they had the wheel bearings changed last year. It is possible during that procedure, whomever did it, dropped the drum causing an unnoticed crack and then consequently, drum failure during the hard brake application.

Scenario #1 could have caused the bearing failure mentioned. Simply got too hot somewhere along the way. Was it all caused by whomever did the bearing work? Possibly.

The OP also mentioned a cross-threaded wheel stud. They didn't say if the wheels have been off since the bearing job so it's hard to say what all might have gone wrong during the bearing repair/replace procedure???

Might be looking for someplace else to do the work?

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

I got a call yesterday from the repair place. The axles are lippert axles. They were called and apparently don't supply parts for these particular axles any more. So I'm having the axles changed out, getting rid of the never lube bearings. They're coming up from Calgary. The cross threaded lug nut was done here by the boss man when he put the wheel back onto the axle after looking at the problem. I was ready to take pictures but the mechanic couldn't get the lug nut off with his cordless gun. The 5er is still up on the jack and jack stand.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #14
Head Rambler

You must have the cartridge bearing axles. They quit using those a while back and won't repair them.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #15

I brought the 5er to the shop today and before I left they had the old axles off. The boss man said when he called Lippert he was told they don't make parts for those axles anymore. He asked what he should do and they told him to get new axles. So we did and they are Dexters. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	118417 I'm trying to attach a picture????
Old 08-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #16

Wow!

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD and Beastlet View Post
Wow!
X2!!!! I would definitely suspect whoever worked on your bearings/brakes last, but sadly almost impossible to prove. Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #18
Failure is my business

Wow is right.

Probably a bad casting of the drum from the OEM. Resulted in a weak spot that was able to fatigue over the years of use.

That is impressive.
Current vehicle list: 16 Flagstaff 832IKBS, 14 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi 3.92 Bilsteins!, 04 Dodge Ram SRT-10 40,000 miles, 97 F150 4x4 5.4L 243,000 miles, 80 Firebird Esprit Aussie Burnout Car https://youtu.be/v06VjII7HmE, 78 Harley Davidson FX 79,000 miles dad bought new, 71 El Camino ZZ3 TH400 12-Bolt, 37 Ford 3 window 502 Chevy dad built
2Evil4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #19

What is more impressive is the Dexter axles on my 5er now. I wonder if the Lippert frame will fall apart on the way home????? Lol
Old 08-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
What is more impressive is the Dexter axles on my 5er now. I wonder if the Lippert frame will fall apart on the way home????? Lol
Don't jinx yourself!!!!!!!! Congrats on the new axles and hope the rest of your trip is good.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote