Old 08-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #1

Missing Brake Drum

We left home on June 22. About half way into our 2500 one way, trip, I had to hit the brakes fairly hard. When we stopped for the day, I did a circle check and near the left rear tire I noticed a smell, like I had rode the brakes. We got to our destination in Southern Alberta, stayed a couple of weeks then moved on to our next destination. I checked voice mail on our home phone and the last campground had called and said there was part of a brake drum in the spot we used. Couldn't do much about it as we were dry camping in the mountains for another couple of weeks. Got up to near Edmonton where we were staying for a bit over a month. Got ahold of a nearby RV repairman. He came to the trailer as we are just around the corner from him. He pulled off the left rear wheel and yup the brake drum is gone. Said he had never seen anything like that before. It's been a couple of weeks now and no drum as of yet. Hopefully this week. The 5er is a 2009 CC. If it doesn't get fixed while we are here, I'll drive home with 3 brakes.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #2

Isn't the wheel held onto the drum with lug nuts? If so how did the wheel not come off if the drum is gone? I'm getting old and confused.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #3

The lug nuts are still there with part of the drum.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

Pictures! We need pictures!
www.restcure.ca

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #5

Wow...

I would disconnect the wire for that brake to keep it from energizing and pushing the shoes out against part of a drum.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
The lug nuts are still there with part of the drum.
WOW-I would like to see a picture of that also.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #7

There are no brake pads left.They came an hour ago and one lug nut was put on cross threaded so they'll be back tomorrow morning at 9 AM...so they say. I have the 3 remaining brakes working. The never lube bearing(which I really dislike having) has to be changed because apparently it's damaged. Just had them changed last summer. So no pictures......yet and maybe never if I don't remember tomorrow. All that's left of the drum is the part that the studs go through and jagged edges around that.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #8

I have seen this before. Once on a ten wheeler, tractor part of tractor trailer, which would be hydraulic brakes and twice on horse trailers which have electric brakes. All three of these had large parts of the outer drum break loose from the flat part that goes against the axle and is held on by the lug nuts. As the OP stated he hit the brakes fairly hard. I'm thinking he hit them harder than he realized. A friend of mine owns an auto parts store and when I'm visiting there I will make deliveries for him. I have delivered many drums to shops only to be called and told that there is a crack in the drum. Most of these are made overseas.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #9

The saga continues. They showed up 3 hours late and then told me that my axles aren't Dexter axles so the brake drum they got isn't right and also the bearing. The jack is still under the 5er. The mechanic wasn't happy as well as me. He then told me I better hope that the parts don't come from the US as it will take a while to get here....we don't leave until the day after Labour Day.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
Head Rambler

You'd have thought they'd have looked at the axle tag to make sure before ordering parts for it. Hopefully it won't take too long to get you going again.