Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
flc

more Tire stuff

I have spent the last couple of days reviewing older threads about tires. I went to my storage lot Monday and found I had a flat on one tire. Must have picked up a nail on the way out there the last time I had it out. I only have about 3000 miles on my Duro load range C tires and have not had any problems with them. I am meticulous on keeping the air pressure where it should be. The trailer is a 2011 that I have had for about 14 months and the tires were fresh when the trailer was manufactured (late 2010 DOT). So, even though they were in good shape (except for the flat being repaired) I started thinking about replacing them with Maxxis load range D.

My concerns were that the wheels (15x6 Series 06 5 lug) were not rated to the load D tire pressure rating and that it would not be good to run the load D Maxxis with only 50 lbs pressure. So, I sent a couple emails off to Maxxis and the wheel web sites. The first answer was from Maxxis and they said that I was correct about underinflating the tires as it could cause excessive wear and overheating. They did say that if the tires were inflated to 60 psi (the limit of the wheels) the wear and heating should not be of a concern. My only concern then was how exact is the 60 psi rating of the wheels because a cold inflation of 60 psi would be nearer a 70 psi tire here in the summer like we just had. The email from the wheel manufacturer said the the wheel could be inflated to the tire load D level (65 psi) with no problem as long as an HP600 valve stem was installed. They did say that the 15x6 Series 06 5 lug wheel was only load rated to 2150 lbs vice the Maxxis tire's 2540. No problem as the load C tires were also at that load rating.

I'm sure I was overthinking this but wanted to be absolutely certain before spending the money on the Maxxis tires. My plan now is to get the tires and start with an inflation of around 60 psi and then keeping an eye on them to adjust the inflation for wear and heat.

I learned much from reviewing the older threads and then having the tire and wheel manufacturers basically confirm what I learned. I just thought it would be informative to post this.

2013 Bullet 248 RKS (soon)
2012 F150 SuperCrew w/Ecoboost 3.5L
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

And you might also have more tire capacity than your axles. But I don't think any of that is a problem. The key is less liklihood of a tire problem. Your tires are still fairly new though so you might wait a bit yet to replace all of them. Do you have sufficient capacity in your current C rated tire?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
flc

Yes, my C load tires have sufficient capacity and I will never need the higher capacity - I just like the idea of what is, hopefully, a better tire. I haven't ordered the new tires yet but probably will as I put more miles on my trailer in the winter than the summer. At least I can take my time and do it when it's opportune.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

The 65psi on the load range 'D' tires is the maximum pressure. You don't have to run them that high unless you also are maxing out the weight on them. I replaced my 'C' Duros with Maxxis D's this spring, put metal stems in them and bead-balanced as well. I run 57 psi cold air pressure, and they run up to about 63 psi going down the highway on a warm day. I think that is a fair compromise, and I am neither worried about tire wear nor failure anymore.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
flc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
The 65psi on the load range 'D' tires is the maximum pressure. You don't have to run them that high unless you also are maxing out the weight on them. I replaced my 'C' Duros with Maxxis D's this spring, put metal stems in them and bead-balanced as well. I run 57 psi cold air pressure, and they run up to about 63 psi going down the highway on a warm day. I think that is a fair compromise, and I am neither worried about tire wear nor failure anymore.

My plan, exactly.