Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #21

My tires had less than 2,500 miles on them. I always checked tire pressure, kept it at 50psi. I had a double blowout on I10 in Houston. After a 3-1/2 hour wait for emergency truck to change my tires. I only had one spare, so I drove slow to discount tires and had all five tires replaced. After two wait there, we continued on our journey. I will put my trailer in the shop for repairs when we return.

Gary an Jan
2012 Rockwood 8289WS
2012 F250 King Ranch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2475086120.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	26701   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-351422255.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	26705  
galexander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
Owner/Operator

That's exactly why the first place that my 8289WS went was to Discount Tire for a set of Marathon LRDs.

Bummer.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #23

The data you furnished was good, but incomplete. What was the DOT date on the tire that failed and date of failure? How much weight was on the tire over time? And how long did the tire sit in storage or not moving at less than ideal tire pressure? Were the tires covered when not moving and were UV blockers used on them? That data is always nice to have.....good luck with you new tires.......

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

As soon as I find a TPMS that will predict a blowout, I'll trade in my TST and buy it! Until then, will just keep my TST TPMS and say a prayer.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #25

Many people on this forum and others have expressed opinions about using LT tires vs ST tires on their trailers. Are there any disadvantages to using LT tires? It seems to me that LT tires are designed for heavier loads and have longer mileage life, so what if any is the downside. Thanks.
hehbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #26

i went to LT on mine but i'm running 16".
on the original tires, i made 3 yrs. inspected before each pull and didn't find any problems. had one disintegrate, replaced it and abt 3 hrs later, found the one ahead of it bald.
The LT's are built stronger and for higher speeds but the ST's have a higher weight rating. if u choose LT, make sure u stay above the rated weight for the trailer. the other thing, u can find different qualities in each...ie a cheaper LT may be worse than the ST.
federal spec wise, the LT has to meet more strengent testing than the ST (they both take the same test).

on the tire pressure monitor, i believe it can warn you before the tire shreds.
my decision was made after a third tire shredded a couple yrs ago. check the goodyear web site and see what they have for trailers. in the 16" they have several choices ST and LT. below that, they have the marathon. i also went to a rib tire (the outside ribs are almost solid...no grips). i feel a big difference in how the trailer tracks...believe it is the rib tires that made the difference.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
DDC

I would want any TPS to let me know that the air had left one of my tires, after all that is it's main job and I would expect it to do it's job in less than 5 mins. I was thinking about buying one but if it takes that long I might as well put the money towards the repairs.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #28

We purchased our 8289ws on February 29, 2012. I did not check the dot date on the tires. We used the trailer April thru January monthly, mostly short trips less than 200 miles round trip. We traveled from Houston to Destin in August with stops in New Orleans and Biloxi. I always checked the tire pressure before each trip. The tires failed on March 28,2013. When Discount removed one of the remaining tires, the tread was starting to separate. I checked the new tires, they were made in 4th week 2013. I hope we have better luck and are planning to replace in two years. We do not want to go through this again. We replaced with 10 ply E load rated. The factory installed where 5 ply C load rated.
galexander1 is offline   Reply With Quote