Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
My experience with Trail Express RV tires.

OK - I am a member of this forum and recently returned from a 3,947 mile trip from Fort Worth, Texas to Ventura County, California round trip pulling my 2012 Silverback 29 rk FW. We went though TX, NM,AZ, and CA going and came back though CA,NV,UT,CO,OK and TX.

We saw outside air temperatures up to 113 degrees F and tire temperatures as read on my Tire Traker TPMS monitor up to 131 degrees F. Our speed as always never exceeded 60 mph and the tires were kept at 80 psi cold.

I keep a mileage log of my Trail Express ST 235/80R16 Load Range E tires.

On our return coming though Lamar, CO I received the dreaded "pull over your tire (s) are coming apart" signal from a motorist. We pulled over and the right rear TE tire was in shreds - no damage to the wheel well. I received assistance from two very nice CO State Troopers in changing out the tire which saved me a Road Side Assistance call.

The RR tire had a total of 8,868 miles on it at the time of failure and the outside air temperature was 88 degrees F at the time.

We continued our trip and arrived home without further incident.

The remaining three tires have a total of 9,203 miles on them when I put it in our storage facility.

So in summary, I got a total of 8,868 miles on one TE tire and 9,203 miles on the other three tires.

I mentioned I am a member of this forum and as such, I have read, started and responsed to quite a few threads regarding these tires.

This is my experience with them. I will be replacing the remaining three TE tires with an as yet undecided US made RV tire.

Was I lucky, unlucky, stupid for running them that long or something else?
__________________

__________________
B47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Fire Instructor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Upstate (Albany Area) NY
Posts: 772
How did the motorist see that your tire had shredded, yet you TPMS hadn't told you? Am I overly dependant on my TPMS to "watch" my tires while going down the road?
__________________

__________________
Fire Instructor

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 233
Good luck on finding a rv tire made in the USA. Best bet are Maxxis.
__________________
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
punkaccountant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
How did the motorist see that your tire had shredded, yet you TPMS hadn't told you? Am I overly dependant on my TPMS to "watch" my tires while going down the road?
x2!?
__________________
http://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic20864_3.gif
2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
2011 Ram 2500HD Hemi
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumba View Post
Good luck on finding a rv tire made in the USA. Best bet are Maxxis.

TOTALLY UNTRUE! Unless of course you are speaking strictly about ST tires. Which I would never consider under a heavy trailer. There are many many different brands of LT tires made in the USA that will be more than adequate as replacements on trailers with axles up to and including 6000 rating.
__________________
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Alleged curmudgeon
 
Vern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 550
I don't know B47...

but I appreciate your sharing that information.

I will only now be crossing the 1,000 mile threshhold with my TT's original Trail Express tires on our next trip. I don't have a tire monitoring system and am just managing the tires the old fashioned way, driving 60 or under and with caution, refusing to push the envelope. Don't know whether I'm stupid or just old school, probably both. I guess eventually I'll have an opinion on the tires. So far, I've not had problems.

There are plenty of voices on here which would be happy to weigh in, as these tires may be the most criticized component of FR products on this forum. I've read a book full of horror stories. From that, it is clear they are not perfect, maybe not even decent (but then I don't know how much of a leap to make based on the forum complaints, as all aspects of FR quality are similarly lambasted on here on a regular basis).

Sometimes I think people expect the same service out of TT tires as they get from the tires on their cars. I know NOTHING about tires, but I suspect that is an unreasonable expectation. Couple that with the tendency for some forum members to engage in hyperbolic tyrades over every flaw encountered and I suspect that, despite the fact we rarely hear about it, there are probably folks who, like you, have got some good service out of the TE tires before retiring them, and I hope to be one of them.
__________________
Lee
2013 Windjammer 3008W
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L w/Equalizer 4
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
How did the motorist see that your tire had shredded, yet you TPMS hadn't told you? Am I overly dependant on my TPMS to "watch" my tires while going down the road?
Good question - I contacted Daryl at Tire Traker and asked him the same question. He said that I appartently had a sudden blowout (which i am not sure I did or didn't) and no TPMS can alert you to a sudden blowout. Nothing in the TT manual speaks to a "suden blowout" but rather how the TPMS will alert you to a change in pressure or temperature.

The sensor on the blowout tire was reading 59 degrees F when we started the trip and when I checked the monitor every 50 miles it didn't changed fron that reading - so Daryl is assuming I had a bad sensor. I did install that same sensor on the spare the next morning and it seemed to work in agreement with the other three sensors. I also did get a Pressure signal on the monitor about 5 minutes after the blowout.

I noticed that the sensor readings for the tires on the sunny side of the FW were higher that the ones on the more shaded side. So I have some faith in them.

My lesson learned is to still watch the condition of your tires and to watch your monitor readings more closely.

As we all know - no system is always entirely accurate all the time and that no TPMS will alert you to a sudden blowout, only a change (+ or -) in temerature and/or pressure.

I tried to get the build date on the tires, but couldn't locate it.
__________________
B47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
but I appreciate your sharing that information.

I will only now be crossing the 1,000 mile threshhold with my TT's original Trail Express tires on our next trip. I don't have a tire monitoring system and am just managing the tires the old fashioned way, driving 60 or under and with caution, refusing to push the envelope. Don't know whether I'm stupid or just old school, probably both. I guess eventually I'll have an opinion on the tires. So far, I've not had problems.

There are plenty of voices on here which would be happy to weigh in, as these tires may be the most criticized component of FR products on this forum. I've read a book full of horror stories. From that, it is clear they are not perfect, maybe not even decent (but then I don't know how much of a leap to make based on the forum complaints, as all aspects of FR quality are similarly lambasted on here on a regular basis).

Sometimes I think people expect the same service out of TT tires as they get from the tires on their cars. I know NOTHING about tires, but I suspect that is an unreasonable expectation. Couple that with the tendency for some forum members to engage in hyperbolic tyrades over every flaw encountered and I suspect that, despite the fact we rarely hear about it, there are probably folks who, like you, have got some good service out of the TE tires before retiring them, and I hope to be one of them.
Vern - good post. I have heard that 2 years or 10,000 miles is what you should expect from any RV tire. I had planned to replace mine wnen we got back from this trip and almost made it.
__________________
B47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
wyo700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 892
I have the trail America tires and they are wearing poorly. The wear is even but fast and I have never overloaded my trailer, not even close the tires are junk. I am sure I will need new ones next year.
__________________
2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
I have the trail America tires and they are wearing poorly. The wear is even but fast and I have never overloaded my trailer, not even close the tires are junk. I am sure I will need new ones next year.
How many miles on them?
I hope I have not started another thread on Trail Express and other RV tires as there are many already.

I did not observe any RV's of any class pulled over with bad tires that i could tell - I did see one motorcycle hauling trailer pass me at a high speed and saw the same trailer pulled over looking at his tire shreds about 4 miles down the road after passing me.
__________________

__________________
B47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.