Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

My Goodyear Endurance experience

So I just took the cheap china bombs off my Wildwood 21RBS and replaced them GY's . They seem like really good tires I was impressed with the side wall and even how uniform the tires looked . I purchased them from Etrailer with no issues. Had them installed by a friend at his tire shop . Immediately with the original tires and the GY's side by side on the shop floor I was able to fondle them both and I could see the difference in craftsmanship there really was no comparison. The trailer doesn't look like the tires are struggling to keep the side wall from collapsing anymore and the trailer seems to have quit a bit less rolling resistance which hopefully will equate to a little tiny bit more fuel mileage. I have to admit I did go up a load range and I'm so glad I did it seems like I was almost over the carrying capacity of the original tires with a full tank of fresh water without even loading the trailer up completely for a week of boondocking . I am looking forward to driving in the heat of the summer an not being so worried that my China Bombs are gonna blow out in the hot California sun.

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

I too recently changed to the Goodyear Endurance tires although I got my money's worth out of the OE tires.

It appears that Goodyear has addressed a major problem with ST trailer tires on RV's by adding some extra reinforcement to the sidewall. Most people are't used to having an extra 20-40 feet of trailer behind them and tend to hit curbs when turning into gas stations or parking lots with narrow entrances. This "hits" may not cause an immediate problem but are a large cause of failures miles later.

As for better gas mileage? Maybe, but remember that there is still that huge "barn door" that is trying to push flat through the air and IT takes most of the horsepower the tow vehicle is putting out. That's where the gas mileage is taking the hit and even more so for those that like to fly down the road 70-80 mph.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
So I just took the cheap china bombs off my Wildwood 21RBS and replaced them GY's .
Thanks for the review. What brand of China Bombs did you replace?
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
So I just took the cheap china bombs off my Wildwood 21RBS and replaced them GY's . They seem like really good tires I was impressed with the side wall and even how uniform the tires looked . I purchased them from Etrailer with no issues. Had them installed by a friend at his tire shop . Immediately with the original tires and the GY's side by side on the shop floor I was able to fondle them both and I could see the difference in craftsmanship there really was no comparison. The trailer doesn't look like the tires are struggling to keep the side wall from collapsing anymore and the trailer seems to have quit a bit less rolling resistance which hopefully will equate to a little tiny bit more fuel mileage. I have to admit I did go up a load range and I'm so glad I did it seems like I was almost over the carrying capacity of the original tires with a full tank of fresh water without even loading the trailer up completely for a week of boondocking . I am looking forward to driving in the heat of the summer an not being so worried that my China Bombs are gonna blow out in the hot California sun.

Don't forget that it is the air pressure that carries the load. You will not be getting the extra capacity with the higher LR tires if you don't run the higher inflation.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #5

Going up in load range ?

I'm in the process of replacing the original tires on our 2018 Wildwood. Im a bit uncomfortable with the cheap made tires the factory thinks is OK to subject its customers too.

Anyway, as far a I can figure out, increasing load range means staying with the 14" tires but increasing the width to 215 vs the 205 that the factory installed.

I can only find domestic tires with load range from C to D, and it appears that most trailer tires are load range D in the 205 & 215 width.

I would prefer not to buy new rims to go up to 15" to increase the load range.

Help

Thanks
Florida.Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida.Traveler View Post
I'm in the process of replacing the original tires on our 2018 Wildwood. Im a bit uncomfortable with the cheap made tires the factory thinks is OK to subject its customers too.

Anyway, as far a I can figure out, increasing load range means staying with the 14" tires but increasing the width to 215 vs the 205 that the factory installed.

I can only find domestic tires with load range from C to D, and it appears that most trailer tires are load range D in the 205 & 215 width.

Help

Thanks

"Load Range" means "C or D or E"
Load Capacity is the pounds of load the tire can support

Also be sure you do not confuse the tire "Type" P or LT or ST.
Too many people just look at the numbers and can end up with less Load Capacity is they change from ST type to LT or P type.

Yes in 14" there are not many choices.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #7
ysidive

Quote:

Help
I was in the same boat as you are when I purchased my trailer.... Upgraded from the 205's to the 215's Bought the Goodyear Endurance in the 215/75/R14. I have put over 10000miles on them in a year and a half.. Track well and I am very happy....

Thanks
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #8

Switched China bombs to Goodyear Endurance on Puma 31RLQS, no increase in mileage. TV 2015 Silverado 2500 HD WT 4:10 RE.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
Retired Army MSG!

I have had my rig 4 years this month. Before I went on vacation a couple weeks ago I took the constance's off and replaced with Good Year Endurance. I had them balanced as well. My trip was 200 miles each way. I felt as if my 5vr which is a Coachmen Chaparral 32 feet handled better and tracks better. Fortunately I have never had a tire failure from either of the 3 units I have owned but I do feel better about have the load range E on my rig.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #10

Just returned from a 4,100 mile round trip to Colorado and South Dakota. The GY Endurance tires on my tt performed flawlessly. I had them put on last fall. And yes, I replaced the spare also with the GY's. They are the load range E tires.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #11

Help here. Our TT has 4 - TL20575R14 Load range D.
How would I increase the tries "load capacity" and improve stability and reduce roll resistance ?
Would a TL21585R14 do the trick ?
Thanks
Florida.Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
ysidive

Quote:
Help here. Our TT has 4 - TL20575R14 Load range D.
How would I increase the tries "load capacity" and improve stability and reduce roll resistance ?
Would a TL21585R14 do the trick ?
Thanks
I am not sure what a TL tire is? I do not think that a 215 /85 /14 is made in a trailer tire.... I would just switch to a ST 215/75 R14 Load range D or E if available....
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #13

My Surveyor came with 205/75 X 14. I moved to 215 GoodYear Endurance due to the slight increase in weight capacity and very small diameter increase.

I would rather have moved to 15” but the gap between the tires seemed just too close to handle the extra inch in diameter.

I bought a used 5th many years ago that had 16” tires that were too large in diameter (gap between tires very small) and all tires had sidewall bubbles that a tire shop advised was caused by heat build up. I found a way to decrease diameter (adding gap length) and actually increasing load capacity. This was in about 2001 so I do not remember the size details, just that the solution involved 16” Michelin truck tires which we never had a problem with for the three owned it. BTW, it had steel wheels.
When I traded for an upper tier 5th with aluminum wheels, the fun started with cast aluminum wheel cracking.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:

Help

Thanks
You do not have to increase the width. (But you can, if you want.) I just upgraded from Castle Rock ST205/75R14 Load Range C to Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R14 Load Range D.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote