Old 06-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #11

The tilting of the trailer wouldn't be the cause of the camper rolling you are correct.

Being on the local fire department, right of the interstate, I have seen my fair share of camper no longer on their wheels... Many of the drivers have said they had something spook them or swerved to miss something and began the death wobble we are all probably familiar with.

The picture attached is a guy going 45 when a tire blew and this is how he and his family ended up... After seeing too many of these safety has become more and more of a priority for me... I will preach it to anyone willing to listen and many who wont!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	247753_10151597869554621_456006991_n.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	33518  

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #12

Remember ... rule one on a blow out or wheel lost ... STEP ON THE GAS! You have to keep control, letting off the gas or stepping on the brake WILL cause you to lose control!

Tire Blowout | Michelin Tires

Michelin Americas Truck Tires Videos and Demos Page

Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by checca View Post
Remember ... rule one on a blow out or wheel lost ... STEP ON THE GAS! You have to keep control, letting off the gas or stepping on the brake WILL cause you to lose control!

Tire Blowout | Michelin Tires

Michelin Americas Truck Tires Videos and Demos Page

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Do NOT STEP ON THE GAS!!! What in the world would the rational behind that be?!

To me if a blow out were to occur I would tap my break pedal enough to kick cruise off while reaching down and manually applying braking force to the trailer via the brake controller... If the trailer was wobbling badly I would then possibly apply a little gas while holding the trailer brake to force it back into line with the truck.. But just applying the trailer brakes will straighten the rig out due to the truck still wanting to travel forward...

The biggest thing is to stay calm and keep the rig in a straight line and ease it to a stop! The times I have seen a camper off its wheels is due to rapid change in direction from either swerving or trying to stop too quickly...

Stepping on the gas in this situation is only going increase speed and increased speed increase sway...

Old 06-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Do NOT STEP ON THE GAS!!! What in the world would the rational behind that be?!

To me if a blow out were to occur I would tap my break pedal enough to kick cruise off while reaching down and manually applying braking force to the trailer via the brake controller... If the trailer was wobbling badly I would then possibly apply a little gas while holding the trailer brake to force it back into line with the truck.. But just applying the trailer brakes will straighten the rig out due to the truck still wanting to travel forward...

The biggest thing is to stay calm and keep the rig in a straight line and ease it to a stop! The times I have seen a camper off its wheels is due to rapid change in direction from either swerving or trying to stop too quickly...

Stepping on the gas in this situation is only going increase speed and increased speed increase sway...

Watch the videos
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #15

whats the point of speeding up when you know you're going to have to stop!? As it says, slow down gradually... You are going to have to fight the side force whether you step on the gas or the brake... So why add the extra step of using the gas first? This adds speed and distance traveled with a blown out tire... Get the thing slowed down as quickly and safely as possible... No offense but you are welcome to believe a you tube video to help you but I'm not even going there...

Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
H2oski

I have had over the years, at 55-60 MPH a right rear TV blowout and at 45 MPH a right front TV blowout and I didn't accelerate. I got on the brakes and pulled over off of the road. It never swayed and I always was able to maintain control. I think the main thing is to not panic, just maintain control. Just MHO from experience.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #17

After hearing Lippert getting bad mouthed by a few people, it's good to hear a story with a happy ending.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #18

I would have to say x2 on letting off gas pedal and using trailer brakes alone which allow for a slow controlled stop. What if you are in heavy traffic, would you accelerate?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
MI Camperz

Man...How scarey is that!? Thanks for sharing this thread so we can all learn from this.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
Haulin' Camp

We lost a wheel once while driving on the interstate. It actually rolled right past us. The lug nuts were not tightened and the wheel vibrated off. The wheel was destroyed and we were in the middle of nowhere. We had to slowly limp back home on three tires. Lesson learned: always tighten the lug nuts.

2 Dogs

KewlKamperz is offline   Reply With Quote