Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
Originally Posted by sshugar View Post
well let me tell you personally it is not fun when the wheel and hub fall of on a major highway. We had a wheel and hub come off on 81 at midnight last friday. I felt something not right and started to slow down. I thought I had a flat. Then bam the whole camper jumped up a loud band and sparks everywhere. I used the controller and feathered the breaks to get to the side of the rode. The issue is when a wheel and hub come off the way the axels are set up the axel colapses. It is not fun sitting on the side of the rode waiting 3 hrs for a tow truck to come and get you rigged up to get off the rode. We ( my wife, 13 yr old son, 7yr old daughter and dog) where general woried we were going to be rode kill several times. The tow driver got me set up with firewood and chains to get 20 miles north to a camping world store in Winchester virginia taking back rouds at 15 mph. Camping world bent over backwords to get a rolling wheel on the camper and followed us 5 miles away to get us to a campground until we could get thing figured out. After a day of phone calls lippert sent us a new axel and overnighted it to us via camping world. They put everything back together and got us back on the rode. The 5th wheel is 10 months old and this is the second major issue we had. First being none of the slides worked but I will take that any day over the wheel falling off. It was an adventure to say the least from AAA not understanding it was not a flat that kept arguing with me that I didnt know what I was talking about and couldnt understand that they could not put a new tire on what was left. The tire ended up destroying half the side of the camper and from what the state tropper told us ended up in the grill of a jeep. I am very happy that nobody was hurt. This could have been a very bad.
Did AAA that care of you in the end and get you on the road again? I have AAA RVplus and wondering if was equal to the RV insurances.

Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #32
After about 3 hrs they finally got a tow truck to us and he was able to stick some firewood in the axel and chain the axel up. It took about another 45 min to get it to be able to travel. AAA also helped with getting us a hotel room for the night. They did a good job other then sending the first tow truck to exit 11 and we where at exit 298.

sshugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #33
Which 5th wheel brand do you have? I'm seeing a trend here with wheels falling off. Or maybe it's the water in Winchester, Va. We went thru there on, you guessed it 81, about a week before ours fell off in New York. Did Emily from Lippert handle your claim. She was very good to us.
2012 Sabre 250RLUD
2011 GMC 1500 Sierra
Max Tow, 6.2, 3.73
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #34
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
The tilting of the trailer wouldn't be the cause of the camper rolling you are correct.

Being on the local fire department, right of the interstate, I have seen my fair share of camper no longer on their wheels... Many of the drivers have said they had something spook them or swerved to miss something and began the death wobble we are all probably familiar with.

The picture attached is a guy going 45 when a tire blew and this is how he and his family ended up... After seeing too many of these safety has become more and more of a priority for me... I will preach it to anyone willing to listen and many who wont!
Well.....looking at that scenario and gauging what the camper was by the V nose assures me that his 1/2 ton was not quite enough....hopefully everybody was ok...but I had a lesson learned in a similar situation that no truck is too big when towing...1/2 tons are capable...but not confidence inspiring!

2016 Sandpiper 365asqb
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3006W
2014 F250 6.7 PowerStroke 2wd
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote