Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

My Wheel Fell Off

Just returned home from a 3700 mile round trip to New York. On the Tuesday after Memorial Day we traveled 175 miles from Pa. to a town north of NYC. We just registered and I was walking back to the truck when I noticed my back left wheel was not right. I nursed the trailer to the camp site and got about 100 feet from parking it when the wheel literally fell off the axle. It had been raining all day and still pouring and I decided to wait until the next day to investigate so I got the trailer parked as best I could. On Wednesday I looked at the axle and it was deeply scored. The hub was shot and the bearings missing. The nut was still in the hub but not sight of a cotter key. At this point I am 1700 miles from home. Several desperate hours later I still couldn't find any RV repair shop or any place to get a replacement axle and hub. The trailer is 8 months out of warranty but at the suggestion of a fellow camper I called Lippert. I got in touch with Emily. She said it was out of warranty but send her some pictures and she would see what she could do. Thursday moring I got an email from Emily. Lippert would replace the axle and complete hub and ship it to me for free. I just had to install. Only catch was that none in stock at factory and they would have to build one. I was already prepared for a two week delay. Well on Monday morning I got an email stating the axle and parts would be delivered on Wednesday. They actually build the new axle on Friday. I have to give Lippert a huge thank-you for stepping up. I could still be sitting in NY. One week after making my initial call, I had a new axle and hub and installed the next day. They sent a complete install kit including a grease seal for the other hub. I still shudder to think what would have happened if the wheel would have come off at 50 mph on a rainy, busy, two lane road. Several of us looked and still don't know the original cause.

Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes, that is scary to think what would have happened if you had lost the wheel while on the highway. Good deal for Lippert stepping up to the plate and getting you took care of.

Any idea of how many miles you had on these bearings?

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
CCRVOC

Wow, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. Thank god that didn't fall off at hwy speed.
Lippert really stepped up and took care of you in a difficult time, that is really good to hear.
Thanks for sharing.
Reck
Old 06-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Texan View Post
Just returned home from a 3700 mile round trip to New York. On the Tuesday after Memorial Day we traveled 175 miles from Pa. to a town north of NYC. We just registered and I was walking back to the truck when I noticed my back left wheel was not right. I nursed the trailer to the camp site and got about 100 feet from parking it when the wheel literally fell off the axle. It had been raining all day and still pouring and I decided to wait until the next day to investigate so I got the trailer parked as best I could. On Wednesday I looked at the axle and it was deeply scored. The hub was shot and the bearings missing. The nut was still in the hub but not sight of a cotter key. At this point I am 1700 miles from home. Several desperate hours later I still couldn't find any RV repair shop or any place to get a replacement axle and hub. The trailer is 8 months out of warranty but at the suggestion of a fellow camper I called Lippert. I got in touch with Emily. She said it was out of warranty but send her some pictures and she would see what she could do. Thursday moring I got an email from Emily. Lippert would replace the axle and complete hub and ship it to me for free. I just had to install. Only catch was that none in stock at factory and they would have to build one. I was already prepared for a two week delay. Well on Monday morning I got an email stating the axle and parts would be delivered on Wednesday. They actually build the new axle on Friday. I have to give Lippert a huge thank-you for stepping up. I could still be sitting in NY. One week after making my initial call, I had a new axle and hub and installed the next day. They sent a complete install kit including a grease seal for the other hub. I still shudder to think what would have happened if the wheel would have come off at 50 mph on a rainy, busy, two lane road. Several of us looked and still don't know the original cause.
Wow, that's a great Lippert story, wonder if they are following the path of FR where a few happy customers is better than a bunch of angry ones!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #5

Truthfully, when you noticed the issue while parked you shouldn't have moved it again! Thank God nothing happened to you or your family! That is awesome to hear Lippert took such good care when not "required" to.

Please Please PLEASE to everyone, if you notice something off especially when it is a critical point like the wheels, tires, hitch or brakes FIX IT IMMEDIATELY! This is a situation that could have gone horribly wrong!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Truthfully, when you noticed the issue while parked you shouldn't have moved it again! Thank God nothing happened to you or your family! That is awesome to hear Lippert took such good care when not "required" to.

Please Please PLEASE to everyone, if you notice something off especially when it is a critical point like the wheels, tires, hitch or brakes FIX IT IMMEDIATELY! This is a situation that could have gone horribly wrong!
He was better to move it to his site and get set up than leaving it at the registration area and blocking everyone. As long as he moved it slowly, it couldn't harm anyone or anything any more than it did with the wheel falling off. Good deal that Lippert stepped up to the plate and did the right thing.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
He was better to move it to his site and get set up than leaving it at the registration area and blocking everyone. As long as he moved it slowly, it couldn't harm anyone or anything any more than it did with the wheel falling off.
X2 - it would have been a bad idea on the highway, but in the CG he should be OK to go slowly to site. There are three more wheels as well as a the TV keeping the 5er from tipping over.

Hope the chihuahua was not too scared is all. He was probably shaking all over.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #8

I have about 10,000 miles on the trailer. I just hit the axles with the grease gun before the trip (and yes it was the specified 2.0). Plenty of grease in the hub that fell off. Looking specifically to see if the cotter key was in place when I greased the hub wasn't something I thought of doing but will start checking in the future. I had to move the trailer out of the way. This was a busy county park with hundreds of "day use" people coming and going. I moved it at just about idle speed.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #9

My apologies... didn't read it carefully enough to realize you were at the camp ground...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
X2 - it would have been a bad idea on the highway, but in the CG he should be OK to go slowly to site. There are three more wheels as well as a the TV keeping the 5er from tipping over.

Hope the chihuahua was not too scared is all. He was probably shaking all over.
Would have been the same scenario on the highway, he would of had to go very slowly to an exit or get off the highway far enough to be able to fix it there also. As for it tipping over, I think there is very, very little danger of that even if he lost both wheels on one side. The trailer is only going to drop on that side about 8" before it hits the axle itself. Hardly enough to tip a trailer over.

BTW, doubt he could have pulled it with both wheels off tho'. Might have given him a thrill with the abrupt turn tho'.