Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #1

need advice - repair under carriage liner

2015 forest river cardinal - took it back to the dealer earlier this year to get some small warranty work done. when we picked it up they told us they also found a hydraulic leak in one of the slideouts and repaired it also under warranty. I thought this was nice.

well today I had the fun opportunity to shimmy under the trailer to look at something else and was appalled. there is a black line (looks like heavy black cardboard) attached between the frame rails to seal the undercarriage. looks like the technician had to get into the underbody to repair that hydraulic leak. he just sliced this liner, folded it back, fixed the hydraulic leak, and then just put a screw through the liner to the frame to hold it back up. the cuts that he put into it are not sealed and there are now gaps between this liner and the frame rails. also there is a flexible plastic strap under the slideout that the hoses and cables are attached to to keep them from kinking. this has been cut in two.

it looks like the factory used some type of expanding foam to seal all the gaps between the liner and the frame rails. this is probably to keep things clean above the liner and to seal the underbody from freezing weather.

i'm going to get some type of waterproof tape to seals up the cuts in the line that the tech made. any suggestions?

as far as sealing the gaps between the liner and the frame do you have any suggestions? is plain old expanding foam sticky enough to hold onto both the frame and the liner? does nay body know what the factory used?
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Site Team

I'd use Gorilla tape to seal up the cuts. The foam on the units I have seen looks like Landscape foam. It's black and holds up well to the elements.

Tags
repair