Old 03-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacheedah View Post
They are directional. Make sure they are not on the wrong sides.
I will check that upon replacing. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #12

For shits and grins I got a quote from a local RV/trailer service outfit. They told me since the previous owner smoked the brakes at one point that I would need to replace the brakes and back plates. Replacing all that and repacking the bearing and cutting the drums at my home would cost 1200.00. My question is, isn't the back plates with magnets part of the brake assemblies we see for 50.00 each or so on average?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #13

Yeeessssssssss!!!!!!!!! Run SC RUN Any auto repair shop worth their salt can do the job. We used to do them a lot in the summer. Most Boat trailers use the same system
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #14

You just might be able to do it yourself, Take the drums to the parts store and have them turn them. Youtube will probably have a great how to video,
Njoy
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...trailer+brakes
Old 03-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #15

10" brake assemblies on eTrailer.com are $35.95 the drum assembly is $49.95 this includes all new bearings and the ezlube drum assemblies are $50.95
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #16

Doing your own brakes isn't all that hard. Jack a wheel up ... remove the tire ... remove the wheel. 5 bolts and two wires and the brake assembly is off. 5 bolts and two wires, the new asembly is on. (wire connections are interchangable) Have drums turned it needed. Clean and repack the wheel bearings put in a new seal. Install wheel back on spindle ... adjust up brakes to a slight drag when spinning drum. Most difficult part is finding a shop that will turn trailer drums when the surface the magnets contact also needs turning.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #17

Thanks fellas. I really appreciate the feedback. I've done quite a bit of tinkering on my weekend toys in the past. I see no reason why I can't handle this.

By doing the work myself I figure I might as well just go ahead and buy new drum assemblies and bearings. This weekend I'll determine exactly what I have so I can get my parts on order. I'll keep you all posted.

On a side note, I do have one question. Will a 1.5 ton floor jack lift one wheel off the ground, or do I use those stacking blocks to suspend one complete axle to remove wheels?

Thanks again!!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #18

I would do one side at a time. jack up one side(be careful where you put the jack maybe middle of the leaf spring) then put a jack stand under it and go do the same thing on the other side. Take one side apart and while installing the new parts refer to the other side if you have any questions as to what goes where and how.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #19

Also on a side note.if it is a 2 axle trailer chances are only one axle has brakes.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #20

Not to offend, but I've never seen a recent build (last 15 years) tandem axle RV without brakes on both axles. Figure about 20% of gross weight as your pin weight. Each wheel will generally split the rest of the weight to a point. My trailer is @12800# with a scaled axle weight of approx. 5100# each. Just a ball park estimate ... I'm lifting about #2500 to get the tire off the ground about an inch. Many swear by the devices that one runs a tire up on to raise the other tandem wheel off the ground ... on an RV of say my size, I'm not interested in putting that much weight on one spindle long enough to change out a brake assembly. You could possibly loose camber on that axle.

Tags
brakes