Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

Need brake info on my 2010 323FK

Hi folks.

I bought my travel trailer right under two years ago. At times the brakes would make a loud squeal when braking. By reducing the voltage It minimized it. After 8 outings or so the brakes starting locking up at. I ended up replacing the controller with a braketite unit. In order to stop the locking up I had to reduce the voltage down to 1.5. I took out the RV a couple times last summer running it like that. I did not experience any issues.

Now that RV season is approaching I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace the brake and pack the bearings. I have a good machanic and frien who can do the job for me. My question to you all is where can I find replacement brakes for the trailer? I would like to buy them locally if possible just in case they are not needed I can return them. Any feedback will be appreciated!!

Ron.
SCThunderBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #2

Looks like our local trailer and frame store carries all variations of brakes for all trailers. I just need to take one assembly up there to proper match.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #3

I think you have something going on with your brakes or your controller boost is set way too high ... 1.5 volts wouldn't produce hardly any noticable braking on most units in the 30+ ft range.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I think you have something going on with your brakes or your controller boost is set way too high ... 1.5 volts wouldn't produce hardly any noticable braking on most units in the 30+ ft range.
I believe you're right. I'm sure it will be obvious once we get into it. Already replaced the brake controller in hopes that would solve the issue. It's more than likely in the brakes.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #5

Replace the entire backing plate assembly they are about $50.00 each. You get new brakes shoes/hardware/ magnet/everything.
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Brakes.aspx
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #6

Thanks for the link!

I think I need the 10" assemblies for my RV. How can I be sure? I can't seem to find anything on the web.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #7

On the back of your axle tubes should be some numbers stamped in the steel or sometimes there is a white sticker with some numbers on it. D50 is 5300# axles ... D60 is 6000# axles ... D70 is 7000# axles. Go to a vendor like etrailer.com and order the brake assys that correspond to your axle capacity. Or ... with the numbers off your axle tubes, call Dexter (574) 295-7888 and they will tell you exactly what you have. Other vendors selling Dexter parts are considerably cheaper than buying direct from Dexter.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCThunderBolt View Post
Thanks for the link!

I think I need the 10" assemblies for my RV. How can I be sure? I can't seem to find anything on the web.

Thanks.
Take the wheel off remove the brake drum and measure the diameter of the drum. That would be the inside diameter. Or it may stamped on the outside of the brake drum.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #9

Fellas, thanks for the feedback. That's more than enough feedback to steer me in the right direction. Much appreciated!!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #10

They are directional. Make sure they are not on the wrong sides.

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacheedah View Post
They are directional. Make sure they are not on the wrong sides.
I will check that upon replacing. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #12

For shits and grins I got a quote from a local RV/trailer service outfit. They told me since the previous owner smoked the brakes at one point that I would need to replace the brakes and back plates. Replacing all that and repacking the bearing and cutting the drums at my home would cost 1200.00. My question is, isn't the back plates with magnets part of the brake assemblies we see for 50.00 each or so on average?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #13

Yeeessssssssss!!!!!!!!! Run SC RUN Any auto repair shop worth their salt can do the job. We used to do them a lot in the summer. Most Boat trailers use the same system
Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #14

You just might be able to do it yourself, Take the drums to the parts store and have them turn them. Youtube will probably have a great how to video,
Njoy
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...trailer+brakes
Old 03-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #15

10" brake assemblies on eTrailer.com are $35.95 the drum assembly is $49.95 this includes all new bearings and the ezlube drum assemblies are $50.95
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #16

Doing your own brakes isn't all that hard. Jack a wheel up ... remove the tire ... remove the wheel. 5 bolts and two wires and the brake assembly is off. 5 bolts and two wires, the new asembly is on. (wire connections are interchangable) Have drums turned it needed. Clean and repack the wheel bearings put in a new seal. Install wheel back on spindle ... adjust up brakes to a slight drag when spinning drum. Most difficult part is finding a shop that will turn trailer drums when the surface the magnets contact also needs turning.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #17

Thanks fellas. I really appreciate the feedback. I've done quite a bit of tinkering on my weekend toys in the past. I see no reason why I can't handle this.

By doing the work myself I figure I might as well just go ahead and buy new drum assemblies and bearings. This weekend I'll determine exactly what I have so I can get my parts on order. I'll keep you all posted.

On a side note, I do have one question. Will a 1.5 ton floor jack lift one wheel off the ground, or do I use those stacking blocks to suspend one complete axle to remove wheels?

Thanks again!!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #18

I would do one side at a time. jack up one side(be careful where you put the jack maybe middle of the leaf spring) then put a jack stand under it and go do the same thing on the other side. Take one side apart and while installing the new parts refer to the other side if you have any questions as to what goes where and how.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #19

Also on a side note.if it is a 2 axle trailer chances are only one axle has brakes.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #20

Not to offend, but I've never seen a recent build (last 15 years) tandem axle RV without brakes on both axles. Figure about 20% of gross weight as your pin weight. Each wheel will generally split the rest of the weight to a point. My trailer is @12800# with a scaled axle weight of approx. 5100# each. Just a ball park estimate ... I'm lifting about #2500 to get the tire off the ground about an inch. Many swear by the devices that one runs a tire up on to raise the other tandem wheel off the ground ... on an RV of say my size, I'm not interested in putting that much weight on one spindle long enough to change out a brake assembly. You could possibly loose camber on that axle.

Tags
brakes