Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
My concern however is whether or not the rim is rated to go from a Load D to an E (65psi to an 80psi) difference.
I needed to find out if my rims would hold a higher load-ergo a higher pressure-tire. The max pressure may be stamped on the backside of your rim, itself; mine was.
Someone suggested checking my spare rim, rather than crawling under the fifth. Wise--except the spare is a steel, the 4 on the ground are aluminum spokes. btw, my 15" steel is stamped maxed at 50 lbs, but my 15" spokes are 65 lbs., so I'm going from Load C to Load D in a few weeks.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
So I have a local tire shop here ordering in my new Maxxis tires. Should be here in 3-5 days. I got em for $135 a piece, which based on the reviews and posts I think is a good deal for the quality and piece of mind.
My concern however is whether or not the rim is rated to go from a Load D to an E (65psi to an 80psi) difference.
I asked 2 different local tire shops and both told me the white spoke standard trailer tire I have is well capable of handling that 80psi Maxxis. Should I take their word? Reminder that these are NOT the dealerships selling me the tires telling me this.

I asked a very similar question a few months ago...got some good responses.

Getting D,E tires mounted on "C" rated wheels

In the end, I had my upgraded tires installed on the original rims and nobody ever said a word.

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
So I have a local tire shop here ordering in my new Maxxis tires. Should be here in 3-5 days. I got em for $135 a piece, which based on the reviews and posts I think is a good deal for the quality and piece of mind.
I also looked at getting new Maxxis tires with zero miles on my trailer. Local dealer called his supplier and the newest DOT code was from 2011. Went with TST 507 TPMS and am just watching the tires and will replace when needed.

Couldn't see replacing new (DOT 2/2014) tires with some that were already 3+ years old sitting in a warehouse.
2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #14

It's a BFG.

BF Goodrich COM36, Commodore ST Radial Trailer Tires | BF Goodrich

Airdale
Old 04-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Nobody's had any experience with a Commodore (BF Goodrich) tire on their rig?
Can't say I've had experience with them per se. However, zooming in on a pic of the Commodore ST 225/75R15 from NTB at this link:

http://ntb.com/tires/catalog/product...ctId=prod10142

shows a DOT tire plant code of RY, which correlates to
Shandong Changfeng Tyres
Dongying City, Shandong, Peoples Republic of China

However, it's possible that BFG specs them and just has Shandong build them.....like Goodyear does with it's marathon radial. Also these tires may be built in other factories too..depending on size, etc.

You could ask Big O to give you the DOT Plant code from the tire, and see for yourself where they are actually produced, and if it is indeed RY.

It appears American Omni could be the importer of these tires as the product numbers match:

http://american-omni.com/wp-content/...odore-2013.pdf

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #16

I just purchased 4 Goodyear Marathons ST Tires and they are marked 'Made In China' on the sidewall. I have (2) 12 year old Goodyear Marathons on my boat trailer that are marked 'Made In Canada'. If you are going to buy Goodyear Marathons checkout Discount Tires for low price. Also I would have them install metal valve stems for 507RV Tire Pressure Monitors.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #17

Haven't taken the rig out yet since installing the Maxxis on it, but can say that visually the 10 ply E load vs. the Towmax 8 ply D load shows a huge difference just sitting there.
The sidewalls show far less bulge under the weight.
I checked the dates on them as I so carefully was educated to do by the posts on the forum in the past. Dates are 4314 so good and fresh.
(The guy at the store laughed when said I only want the freshest tires you got)
I'll post again once I have put a few miles on them.
I did have an issue where the dealer mounted them with weights on the inside AND outside of the rim. I asked why and they said based on it being a steel rim, that's the way they have to be.
I didn't believe them, and told them to take those weights off and just balance them as best they could then with the weights on the inside (back) of the rim.
I also had to fight a bit to have them put metal valve stems on them.
All in all $625 for all 4 mounted and balanced.
1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #18

When I bought my 5th wheel, one of the china bombs was flat (they never noticed). So their local tire shop put a ST225/75R15 SOTERA VIATUS 10PLY TL TRAILER TIRE Load E on my rim and told me that this is a really good tire and I should replace the other Load C China bombs that came with the 5th wheel. Not much to google on these tires. I plan on getting new tires soon, and just cannot decide either.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #19

Can't understand why so many people upgrade to higher load range tires and then purchase only 4 tires, keeping their so called 'China Bomb' as their spare.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

I have 5 matching tires and wheels, all balanced with the TST TPMS flow thru sensors.

Tags
tire