Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #21

I'm not the only one then. I replaced my 9000 mile 4 1/2 year old OEM 'C' rated tires with 'E' rated last year. The tire guy tried to talk me out of replacing the never used spare tire but couldn't.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #22

I just put 3 tires on my TT that came with TowMax. The 4th was changed last year when I found the tread separating. I put the original size and load rating tires on it, but they are Maxxis. A spare is exactly that... a spare. I couldn't see spending another C-note+ on a spare that's never been on the ground. If I keep this TT for a few more years I'll probably put the best one of these 4 back there and buy 4 new tires. My TowMax tires lasted about 12K miles.... or 3 of them did. When I looked closely at them, 2 of the 3 were beginning to have tread separation. I've been reading about tires for some time and haven't heard but one negative comment about Maxxis. My last Marathons were just that... my last ones...

When I trade TTs, I plan on demanding a tire change-out as part of the deal. Not sure how that will work... but I've never been afraid to walk on a deal I didn't like.

Here's hoping that our new Maxxis tires live up to their reputation and give us all good service...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #23

JCamper, it looks like you have a Les Schwab tire store near you. My local Les Schwab can get Maxxis tires. In fact, they told me they could get me just about any tire I wanted through them.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #24

I'm with Schrederman, why replace a spare china bomb that AT BEST is just gonna get me off the side of the road to the nearest repair shop to replace my main tires. I guess to each his own, but there's no reason for the extra cost from my perspective.
Ever put your car spare on? Betcha it ain't a standard size tire is it. It's a mini wheel barrow looking doughnut made to just limp you to the shop. That's how I view my China spare.
My original "bomb's" went 12000 miles before I had an issue. I know, I'm lucky, but bomb or not a brand new never been on the ground tire should get me a few miles down the road.
Mtelkman yes I do have a Les Schwab near me. Although I absolutely would prefer using them, they for some reason couldn't get me any Maxxis even special order. I did put a bug in the guys ear about fixing that for next time.
1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Sifted through the threads and didn't see one that specifically hit my question so here goes.
After a near blowout on the highway this weekend, it's time to ditch the china bomb Towmax's on the TT. I wanted to go to a Goodyear Marathon, or Maxxis. I hear good and bad about the Goodyear, and "hard to find" on the Maxxis.
So I'll open that up for debate, but my question also is anyone heard of a Commodore tire? (I think it's a BF Goodrich?)
The Big O Tires here locally offered them as an alternative to the Goodyear Marathons.

Commodore 225/75 R15
Pro's: $89.95 ea ($16 per tire cheaper)
10 ply E rated
Con's: Never heard of em

Goodyear 225/75 R15
Pro's: Heard of em
8 ply D rated
Con's: Mixed reviews
$106.00 per tire
You didn't say but are both these tires ST type?

Also wonder why you suffered a "Blowout" ie really a"Run Low Flex Failure". If you don't know the real reason for the failure simply changing brands may not solve the problem.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I just put 3 tires on my TT that came with TowMax. The 4th was changed last year when I found the tread separating. I put the original size and load rating tires on it, but they are Maxxis. A spare is exactly that... a spare. I couldn't see spending another C-note+ on a spare that's never been on the ground. If I keep this TT for a few more years I'll probably put the best one of these 4 back there and buy 4 new tires. My TowMax tires lasted about 12K miles.... or 3 of them did. When I looked closely at them, 2 of the 3 were beginning to have tread separation. I've been reading about tires for some time and haven't heard but one negative comment about Maxxis. My last Marathons were just that... my last ones...

When I trade TTs, I plan on demanding a tire change-out as part of the deal. Not sure how that will work... but I've never been afraid to walk on a deal I didn't like.

Here's hoping that our new Maxxis tires live up to their reputation and give us all good service...

RE your tread separation. Did you file a complaint with NHTSA? If we, the RV owners don't file complaints there will never be an investigation which means no chance of a recall and improvement in quality of the tires we get.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 04-19-2015, 12:45 AM   #27

Didn't say had a blow out, said a NEAR blow out. Wasn't a run low flex failure either. This was a 1/3 section of the tread portion of the tire had an internal belt separation where all of the sudden the section of the tire severely bulged out and nearly blew.
And yes both the tires are ST radials.
Kind of a moot point now because I've invested in the Maxxis which are supposed to be the best, but thanks for your feedback.
1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Didn't say had a blow out, said a NEAR blow out. Wasn't a run low flex failure either. This was a 1/3 section of the tread portion of the tire had an internal belt separation where all of the sudden the section of the tire severely bulged out and nearly blew.
And yes both the tires are ST radials.
Kind of a moot point now because I've invested in the Maxxis which are supposed to be the best, but thanks for your feedback.

OK
I just have a "thing" about people using or at least learning the difference between Blowout (Run Low Flex) and Tread or Belt separation.

Be a bit like going to Hospital with chest pains and not telling them you got shot. One would probably not get the correct treatment

RE complaint to NHTSA
Few seem to realize how recalls are started or what steps they can take that might result in an improvement in the quality of the tires we get.

Tags
tire