Old 04-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #1

Need tire advice/help

Sifted through the threads and didn't see one that specifically hit my question so here goes.
After a near blowout on the highway this weekend, it's time to ditch the china bomb Towmax's on the TT. I wanted to go to a Goodyear Marathon, or Maxxis. I hear good and bad about the Goodyear, and "hard to find" on the Maxxis.
So I'll open that up for debate, but my question also is anyone heard of a Commodore tire? (I think it's a BF Goodrich?)
The Big O Tires here locally offered them as an alternative to the Goodyear Marathons.

Commodore 225/75 R15
Pro's: $89.95 ea ($16 per tire cheaper)
10 ply E rated
Con's: Never heard of em

Goodyear 225/75 R15
Pro's: Heard of em
8 ply D rated
Con's: Mixed reviews
$106.00 per tire

1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #2

Nobody's had any experience with a Commodore (BF Goodrich) tire on their rig?

1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #3

I have seen no threads about them and stopped buying from Big O years ago.

Sorry...
Old 04-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

My Marathons were made in China. On a side note, I think many of the problems encountered with trailer tires are driver related. Either overloading or speed. ST tires are only rated for speeds up to 65 MPH. I can't tell you how many times I've been passed like I was standing still.

Never heard of Commodore.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #5

Need tire advice/help

I have had the Maxxis for almost 3 years now. I keep them inflated to 80 psi and have had zero issues. I do recommend having your trailer tires balanced. I try to keep my speed to about 62 mph. Hope this helps. I went up a load range when I purchased the tires. I went to an "E" rating.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

What could go wrong?
lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Sifted through the threads and didn't see one that specifically hit my question so here goes.
After a near blowout on the highway this weekend, it's time to ditch the china bomb Towmax's on the TT. I wanted to go to a Goodyear Marathon, or Maxxis. I hear good and bad about the Goodyear, and "hard to find" on the Maxxis.
So I'll open that up for debate, but my question also is anyone heard of a Commodore tire? (I think it's a BF Goodrich?)
The Big O Tires here locally offered them as an alternative to the Goodyear Marathons.

Commodore 225/75 R15
Pro's: $89.95 ea ($16 per tire cheaper)
10 ply E rated
Con's: Never heard of em

Goodyear 225/75 R15
Pro's: Heard of em
8 ply D rated
Con's: Mixed reviews
$106.00 per tire
Just the name Towmax brings fear to me. No way, No how, ever again. Had three blowout and the forth tread separate in one 7 hour trip.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:15 AM   #7

Towmax! Be afraid be very afraid. One tire cost me a two year old camper
Old 04-07-2015, 12:36 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznsa View Post
On a side note, I think many of the problems encountered with trailer tires are driver related. Either overloading or speed.

I'll second this opinion. Don't forget curbs, potholes, sunlight and storing on dirt/grass. I think curbs are a big one...not rubbing up along side them so much, but driving off/up them in corners/driveways etc.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
2015 Puma 30rkss

I just had the owner of an RV repair shop tell me today that the Marathons are "junk". Not my words, his. I wasn't happy to hear that because that's what I have on my boat trailer. He also said most St tires are built in China. His recommendation was make sure your tires aren't overloaded. Most of us overload our RVs and stock tires aren't rated for the overloaded weight. He suggested replacing with tires that are a load rating higher. He also said while the tread may look great, the age of the tire is more important. 3-5 years is the lifespan of the tires.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #10

So I have a local tire shop here ordering in my new Maxxis tires. Should be here in 3-5 days. I got em for $135 a piece, which based on the reviews and posts I think is a good deal for the quality and piece of mind.
My concern however is whether or not the rim is rated to go from a Load D to an E (65psi to an 80psi) difference.
I asked 2 different local tire shops and both told me the white spoke standard trailer tire I have is well capable of handling that 80psi Maxxis. Should I take their word? Reminder that these are NOT the dealerships selling me the tires telling me this.

1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy

Tags
tire