Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #1

Needing help with tire sizing

Unit: 2005 FR Grand Surveyor GS291. I bought this unit about three (3) years ago and the seller told me up front that he had recently put four (4) new "car tires" on the unit as this was what he could afford to sell the unit. These are 205/70R14 Cooper tires. About 18 months ago one of the tires blew out at the sidewall, fortunately I was near and area where I could get off the highway. The spare was dry rotted but there was a tire store nearby so I went and bought another new Cooper car tire for the camper and one for a spare. This past weekend another tire blew out (a split about two inches long on the sidewall) so I had a spare to finish this trip and all went well on the trip. NOW--I'm going to buy five brand new "camper" tires for this unit. Here is where there may be an issue: I have had two people tell me that they "think" that these tires are too small for this unit but no one knows for sure or what size should be on this unit. The 205/70's do look rather small on this unit. The GVMR rating on the tag in the unit states "6773 pounds". The UVW states "5340 pounds". I called a friend of mine who owns the tire store I use, questioned him about this (he has a unit also) and he told me that he "thinks" this unit should have larger tires, something in the 255/70 range. No, I do not have any of the manuals that came with this unit to check what size tire may have been on this unit from the factory. I suppose I could contact FR about this and see if they can help. Please--IF anyone has an opinion on the correct tire sizing for this type unit share your thoughts with me so I can put the proper sized tires on this unit.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Unit: 2005 FR Grand Surveyor GS291. I bought this unit about three (3) years ago and the seller told me up front that he had recently put four (4) new "car tires" on the unit as this was what he could afford to sell the unit. These are 205/70R14 Cooper tires. About 18 months ago one of the tires blew out at the sidewall, fortunately I was near and area where I could get off the highway. The spare was dry rotted but there was a tire store nearby so I went and bought another new Cooper car tire for the camper and one for a spare. This past weekend another tire blew out (a split about two inches long on the sidewall) so I had a spare to finish this trip and all went well on the trip. NOW--I'm going to buy five brand new "camper" tires for this unit. Here is where there may be an issue: I have had two people tell me that they "think" that these tires are too small for this unit but no one knows for sure or what size should be on this unit. The 205/70's do look rather small on this unit. The GVMR rating on the tag in the unit states "6773 pounds". The UVW states "5340 pounds". I called a friend of mine who owns the tire store I use, questioned him about this (he has a unit also) and he told me that he "thinks" this unit should have larger tires, something in the 255/70 range. No, I do not have any of the manuals that came with this unit to check what size tire may have been on this unit from the factory. I suppose I could contact FR about this and see if they can help. Please--IF anyone has an opinion on the correct tire sizing for this type unit share your thoughts with me so I can put the proper sized tires on this unit.
There is really nothing that comes from FR with the tire size that I know of, I would go with what your tire man says, after all that's his business to know. You might be able to call Lions head they are the FR supplier.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

According to the spec chart (2004 Forest River GRAND SURVEYOR - Travel Trailer | RVWeb.com, your trailer came with 205/75/R14. I personally would go with a Goodyear Marathon ST 215/75/R14 LR C as I don't think they make a LR D in that size.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

There should be a sticker on your camper somewhere with this data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacked out.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	44573  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #5

"herk7769"--That is exactly what I cannot find on my unit. This last weeks camping expedition was with two pair of our friends and their units. We looked at each unit and found somewhat the same info label on both of my friends units, inside an exterior storage door, but not on mine. "OldCoot"--My tire guy has now changed his recommendation to the 215/75 sized tire for my unit. Sorry but he does not sell Goodyear. He does handle a Toyo tire for TT's in this size and a "Maxis or Maxxis" brand RV tire (new brand to me). Thanks for the replies.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"herk7769"--That is exactly what I cannot find on my unit. This last weeks camping expedition was with two pair of our friends and their units. We looked at each unit and found somewhat the same info label on both of my friends units, inside an exterior storage door, but not on mine. "OldCoot"--My tire guy has now changed his recommendation to the 215/75 sized tire for my unit. Sorry but he does not sell Goodyear. He does handle a Toyo tire for TT's in this size and a "Maxis or Maxxis" brand RV tire (new brand to me). Thanks for the replies.
If you click on the "spec" tab of the website: 2004 Forest River GRAND SURVEYOR - Travel Trailer | RVWeb.com
It tells the tire sizes on each model of your trailer. Maxxis are good tires also.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #7

Maxxxis usually gets good reviews. If you want a D rated 14" tire and your rims can handle the increased PSI check out a Kumho Radial 857. Keep in mind that they are metric size tires so a 195/R14C is about the same as a 205/75/14. I'm guessing a 205/R14 would be about the same as a 215/75/14. Your tire guy will know.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

As long as it is an ST or LT tire and NOT a P series tire you should be OK.
Make sure the load range is correct as well.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Do you have any lable indicating the GAWR? This is required to be on all RVs when sold new. I know of no reason for an owner to remove such a label.

If you cannot find the label have you tried contacting the RV manufacturer?

If you don't know the axle rating you have no way of knowing if you are overloading your RV or not. You should also get your RV weighed. Ideally you should know the individual tire loads. You can follow these instructions.
If you can't get individual tire loads then at least get the total for an axle and assume one side has 55% of the load.

With the actual loads known when the trailer is fully loaded with food, water, clothes etc you then need to select tires that EXCEED the highest measured load.

ALSO in the future you need to be clear when listing a tire size and provide the complete information such as P235/75R15 XL or ST205/70R14 LR-D
The letters in front of the numbers and the Load Range are important information.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire