Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

New ('16) FR Sierra 377FLIK 5th Wheel

I am an experienced towable camper but new to the 5th wheel community.
This 5th wheel has the 6 pt auto-leveler system, but I blew the 15 A fuse at the hydraulic pump on the first trip. Are there specific issues I need to consider? Blowing a 15A fuse so early seems odd.

I cannot get a clear answer about what bearings are on this unit. Are they EZ lube, Never-lube or always-lube?

They state they are 7000 lb axles with 12/2 brakes but not info about lube status.

2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab 4WD, Duramax/Allison Package with Factory Towing Package.
2016 Forest River Sierra 377FLIK 5th Wheel.
Small annoying dog.
ktvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #2

Check you packet of manuals, great reading material....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #3

Fuse:
Check to make sure all electrical connections are tight. A buddy of mine had a similar problem and all of his connections were loose.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #4

Details about Running Gear and Hydraulic Systems

Yes, I understand your comment about "read the manual first before asking dumb questions" comment. It is often warranted.

However, in my defense, the owners manual contains no useful information about either of my questions.

Regarding the hydraulic leveling system, there is a DVD video disk which is more of an advertisement than a troubleshooting guide. If you have any questions, contact the manufacturer (no contact info provided).

Regarding the running gear, the information is a list of what Dexter offers rather than an identification of what I have. Again, the suggestion is "contact someone else if you have questions about your unit".

That's why I raised it on the forum - I was hoping for more useful info.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
ktvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #5

I never said it was a dumb question. Mfg's change things often from model years...

I inspect/clean/lube my bearing on an annual basis. I hand pack them.

Regarding the axles. There is a axle tag wrapped or stuck on the axle tube. I have contacted Dexter about mine and they promptly sent me the specifications.

Hopefully yours are Dexter, good luck and welcome to the 5ther group.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

If you do not see zerk fittings on the end of the axels in the center of your wheels then the wheel bearings must be removed, cleaned, new grease applied and reinstalled.

I do this anyway rather than take a chance on over greasing and having it blow the seals and get all over my brakes requiring a brake change as well. It also gives you the opportunity to inspect your brakes and magnets while you are at it.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #7

I can't give you an answer as to why your fuse blew, but there is a free app, " my lci " that you can load on your phone or tablet that has a trouble shooting section as well as contact info on most lippert products. I contacted them via email with an issue for trailerair pin box and they responded within 1 business day. Good luck
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktvaughan View Post
I am an experienced towable camper but new to the 5th wheel community.
This 5th wheel has the 6 pt auto-leveler system, but I blew the 15 A fuse at the hydraulic pump on the first trip. Are there specific issues I need to consider? Blowing a 15A fuse so early seems odd.

I cannot get a clear answer about what bearings are on this unit. Are they EZ lube, Never-lube or always-lube?

They state they are 7000 lb axles with 12/2 brakes but not info about lube status.

2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab 4WD, Duramax/Allison Package with Factory Towing Package.
2016 Forest River Sierra 377FLIK 5th Wheel.
Small annoying dog.
You should check your trailer's certification label - found on the LH external forward section of the trailer - for correctness. FR makes a lot of label mistakes with 7000# axles. Your trailer's specs donot require GAWRs above 6750# ea..
Old 09-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #9

I am not a fan of the EZ lub axles. All it took was 1 time for me to use the system ( as per the manual) and still blew grease all over 2 of my wheels/hubs/brakes. It's back to hand packing my wheels bearings, same as I've done for 40 years with great success!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, sierra, wheel