Old 06-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
Commercial Member
Originally Posted by sugarjohnson View Post
So I have been researching new tires for my Wildcat 5th wheel. The trailer is new this year and came with Provider ST235/80/16 E rated tires. They look ok but still China made and I have never heard of them?

While looking for the PSI rating on my Hi Spec rims I happened to note the DOT build date of 4413. If I am correct this is 44th week of 2013. Now I am even more unhappy that a 2016 trailer has tires on it already approaching 3 years old.

I sent an inquiry to FR to express my concern along with a pic of the date code.

Any thoughts??

That tire was made by

I have seen this name before.

It would be real helpful if everyone with a tire problem posted the DOT serial, then we could identify the tire plant to stay away from.

Simply saying "China" is no more useful than saying RVs built in Indiana are bad because all the problems I read about are from RVs made in Indiana,

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety.
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
I'm holding out hope FR will make this somewhat right given I got 2013 tires on a new unit. I'm still going crazy in my tire search. I think at this point I'm leaning towards Michelin XPS Ribs 235/85/16.

My rational and please comment with opinions(especially Tireman9).

My rims are rated at 3640# The tires on now are ST rated at 3420#
5th wheel is 9700# empty, Max GVW is 12,000#, 6000# axles, 1800# pin weight empty

Most gear on this model is well forward of the axles with a pin weight estimated around 2500#.

XPS ribs are load rated at 3,086# x 4 =12,344# so the XPS technically would cover max load. If we take out conservative 2000# pin weight from the 12,000# max we are back down to 10,000# and this would now leave me a 2000# safety margin, side to side differences etc.

I also don't know if my Hi Spec rims will handle 110psi and the XPS will run 80psi like stock. I also think that going to a G tire is somewhat overkill for my weights as last time we weighed in I was at 11,000#

Price wise I can get the XPS for $225 including mounting, metal valve stems and balancing. There is also a $100 rebate. I figure I can try and sell the take offs on CL.

I have been researching this to death and am just about fed up! We do a ton of local state parks in WI but do 2 long 2 weeks trips out west so safety of my family is important.

Feedback please????

2016 Wildcat 312BHX
2015 Silverado 3500HD
sugarjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, tire, wheel