Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

New 5th wheel tire age

So I have been researching new tires for my Wildcat 5th wheel. The trailer is new this year and came with Provider ST235/80/16 E rated tires. They look ok but still China made and I have never heard of them?

While looking for the PSI rating on my Hi Spec rims I happened to note the DOT build date of 4413. If I am correct this is 44th week of 2013. Now I am even more unhappy that a 2016 trailer has tires on it already approaching 3 years old.

I sent an inquiry to FR to express my concern along with a pic of the date code.

Any thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160607_191520.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	110446  
Old 06-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

That's awful!

And I'm STUPID for not even thinking to check mine!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #3

you are correct in your assumption....2013 tires :/
scott_silverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
That's awful!

And I'm STUPID for not even thinking to check mine!!!
At least I know I'm not alone in my reaction.....
Old 06-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #5

Yeah we just picked up our 3250 and that was one thing I did check that I was happy with date was 0516 on 3 tires and 1616 on the other, sales guy said they saw a booboo on one tire so they changed it.
If that is the way things keep going I will be keep being happy.
Once we got it home I rolled around under it and noticed on the passanger side the Morryde mount to the frame was missing a nut, and also one of the slide hydraulic rams the nuts were not adjusted correctly the 2 locking nuts were not tightened up against the bracket, they were unscrewed all the way.
Along with other minor Items called the dealer to make an appointment for corrections, they said not till end of month I said that stinks, here is my big concern, told him about the morryde nut missing, they sent a guy to my house the next day to look at it he said we need to replace the bolt, He said I will be out next week to fix it.
That fine we are not going camping for a while.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin1 View Post
Yeah we just picked up our 3250 and that was one thing I did check that I was happy with date was 0516 on 3 tires and 1616 on the other, sales guy said they saw a booboo on one tire so they changed it.
If that is the way things keep going I will be keep being happy.
Once we got it home I rolled around under it and noticed on the passanger side the Morryde mount to the frame was missing a nut, and also one of the slide hydraulic rams the nuts were not adjusted correctly the 2 locking nuts were not tightened up against the bracket, they were unscrewed all the way.
Along with other minor Items called the dealer to make an appointment for corrections, they said not till end of month I said that stinks, here is my big concern, told him about the morryde nut missing, they sent a guy to my house the next day to look at it he said we need to replace the bolt, He said I will be out next week to fix it.
That fine we are not going camping for a while.
"Booboo" on the tire means the tire factory didn't do a competent job of final inspection. How old is the salesman six?

If you bought a new Ford, Chevy or Kia I bet it wouldn't take a month to get missing bolts installed. This IMO is a safety related issue that warrants a complaint to NHTSA about the vehicle being delivered with missing nuts and bolts. If you want to be nice to the sloppy RV company that's up to you but why should you have to do the final inspection for them for free. I figure your time is worth at least the shop rate per hour at the dealer. Also who pays for the fuel to drag the defective unit back to the dealer, Didn't they charge you a "prep" fee?

As long as we tolerate this kind of poor quality they we should stop complaining about component failures.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #7

I concur! Its sad that I have a checklist when I buy a new unit and check everything myself. I do it to be sure I can go and enjoy my vacation and not have to fix stuff on the way. Frustrating for sure....still no response from FR yet on my tire dates.

I was nice to FR thus far and didn't even mention that I already had one brake assembly replaced due to a worn through wire internally on a brand new unit, drawer slides replaced and the backup camera shorted out and had to be replaced. My dealer is great and took care of that speedy.

What I have no tolerance for is safety stuff like tires and brakes. I knew that I would get sub par ST tires but at least have them within the same year as build date. Funny is in their marketing they say "upgraded E rated tires" yeah right!
Old 06-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #8

I checked mine. Mine say 0116.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #9

Tireman9 I couldn't agree with you more, I will admit the booboo was my wording not there's. They said a defect in the tire so they changed it.
But the nut missing and the adjusting nuts wrong there is no excuse for that. the dealer did ask if I had any trips planned soon he would send someone out now, I said no I don't have any so the technician came out two days later I told him we are not going anywhere for a while, so next week he is coming back to our house to fix it. the dealer is around 35 miles away. I thought they were doing the right thing.
(our daughter is about 8.75 months pregnant and her and her husband live about 6 and a half hours away so we are on hold until we get the call then we are driving our car to go see her) granddaughter #5
Old 06-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #10

"Booboo" on the tire means the tire factory didn't do a competent job of final inspection. How old is the salesman six?

And as for the salesman I'm not sure but in one more year I will be six with a zero after it.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjohnson View Post
So I have been researching new tires for my Wildcat 5th wheel. The trailer is new this year and came with Provider ST235/80/16 E rated tires. They look ok but still China made and I have never heard of them?

While looking for the PSI rating on my Hi Spec rims I happened to note the DOT build date of 4413. If I am correct this is 44th week of 2013. Now I am even more unhappy that a 2016 trailer has tires on it already approaching 3 years old.

I sent an inquiry to FR to express my concern along with a pic of the date code.

Any thoughts??

That tire was made by
SHANDONG LINGLONG TYRE CO., LTD

ZHAOYUAN CITY

SHANDONG, China

I have seen this name before.

It would be real helpful if everyone with a tire problem posted the DOT serial, then we could identify the tire plant to stay away from.

Simply saying "China" is no more useful than saying RVs built in Indiana are bad because all the problems I read about are from RVs made in Indiana,
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #12

I'm holding out hope FR will make this somewhat right given I got 2013 tires on a new unit. I'm still going crazy in my tire search. I think at this point I'm leaning towards Michelin XPS Ribs 235/85/16.

My rational and please comment with opinions(especially Tireman9).

My rims are rated at 3640# The tires on now are ST rated at 3420#
5th wheel is 9700# empty, Max GVW is 12,000#, 6000# axles, 1800# pin weight empty

Most gear on this model is well forward of the axles with a pin weight estimated around 2500#.

XPS ribs are load rated at 3,086# x 4 =12,344# so the XPS technically would cover max load. If we take out conservative 2000# pin weight from the 12,000# max we are back down to 10,000# and this would now leave me a 2000# safety margin, side to side differences etc.

I also don't know if my Hi Spec rims will handle 110psi and the XPS will run 80psi like stock. I also think that going to a G tire is somewhat overkill for my weights as last time we weighed in I was at 11,000#

Price wise I can get the XPS for $225 including mounting, metal valve stems and balancing. There is also a $100 rebate. I figure I can try and sell the take offs on CL.

I have been researching this to death and am just about fed up! We do a ton of local state parks in WI but do 2 long 2 weeks trips out west so safety of my family is important.

Feedback please????

Tags
5th wheel, tire, wheel